Filtering Spam Email

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by AnthonyG, Feb 14, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AnthonyG

AnthonyG Registered Member

Hi,

Can i ask is there any program that i can use that can filter web based emails. As my university uses web based mail on an https: server and i am getting a multitude of spam emails that i do not know what to do about. So is there any programs out there that could help to filter them out. I reported them to the university computer department and the university said there was nothing the university could do as they were low scoring emails. So is there any programs or things i can do myself to stop them

Thanks

2. Eldar

Eldar Registered Member

Have a look at this topic.
    There are many others to eliminate Spam, free or paid.
    When buying a spamfilter be careful not to buy absolute junk, as I did in the past. :doubt:
    The paid ones I liked and are still installed on my computer are SpamEater Pro and Spam Blackout.

It's just up to you to find the one you like best and performs well.;)

3. AnthonyG

Thanks but can i ask will the work on web based email addresses (such as for example gmail, that is not what i want to use it on but its just an example to show what i mean as my university mail is similar to gmail as its a web based mail) or will they only work on POP3 email addresses

Thank you

4. Eldar

Eldar Registered Member

Two key items mentionned on the Gmail Settings page that folks often miss about POP3:

Make sure you...
    1) Use your full Gmail address as your Account Name. Won't work if you omit the @gmail.com part.
    2) Select "Enable POP" either for "All mail" or for "only messages that arrive from now on" and then Save Changes.
    If you enabled only new messages, you won't get the existing messages already in your Gmail Inbox.

As for other web based email it depends. Is it an Hotmail account, MSN, Yahoo?
    For these web based accounts you've to use a third party software like Hotmail Popper or Freepops (can be used for all three and even Gmail).
    Is it only a secure connection then you can enable it in your spamfilter, if it allows secure connections.

Not enough information about the account you're using, so I would suggest you try some out to see what it gives. ;)

5. AnthonyG

Thanks for all your help

Here is the web address to my universities web based email

https://sws.ncl.ac.uk

What can i do for that.

Thanks

6. Eldar

Eldar Registered Member

You're welcome. ;)
    From what I've read on the site of Squirrelmail , it's an IMAP server, so your email is stored on that server.
    Do you download your email into your email client or do you only want to view your mail on the IMAP server?
    Mozilla can give you a spamfilter to use for this account to eliminate/reduce your spam. Spamihilator also supports Pop3 and IMAP accounts, so that could be used too. :)
    Mailwasher Pro can also be used and probably others as well.
    Read the documentation to see if these spamfilters support IMAP connection.

Good luck. ;)

Last edited: Feb 14, 2005
  7. AnthonyG

Thanks im trying mailwasher pro and it is asking me for an imap server address i am inserting the https://sws.ncl.ac.uk but it wont accept it for some reason.

Does anyone know what i am supposed to put in that box.

Thanks

8. Eldar

Eldar Registered Member

POP or IMAP is your incoming mail setting and SMTP is your outgoing mail setting. You need to consult your documentation from your email provider for these settings, or see the MailWasher® Pro help for more information. :)

See this page too. ;)

9. Eldar

Eldar Registered Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.