Files share locked after a backup

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by jblaty, Jun 21, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jblaty

jblaty Registered Member

I have attempted a full backup of my I: drive. The first time, I cancelled out of the backup, and the second time, I completed the full backup. However, I'm having trouble now accessing some of the files on the drive.

Apparently, the TI8 backup is share locking the files during the process. This is causing several problems with Lotus Notes archiving (Notes archive db file is locked), as well as some Excel spreadsheets and other documents. To the operating system, these files are "in use by another user". When I try and open them, the application thinks that it must open as read only, as another user has currently opened the file with changes locked out.

A reboot has not fixed the issue.

1. Is there some sort of utility I can run to release the share file locks, with a wildcard (i.e. [unlock] i:\*.*).

2. Is there a way that I can prevent TI8 from share locking files during the backup process? Is there some configuration option to prevent this?

In advance, thank you.

2. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello jblaty,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Could you please clarify what problems appears during the image creation? Do you encounter any error or is there anything with the opened files that prevent from editing them while the image is created?

Thank you.
    --
    Ilya Toytman

3. jblaty

jblaty Registered Member

I either cancel the image backup during processing, or the image backup is working as a background task.

4. Acronis Support

Hello jblaty,

I am afraid I didn't understand what happens when you launch image creation. Could you please clarify what happens when you click the "Porceed" button?

Thank you.
    --
    Ilya Toytman

5. ITperson

ITperson Guest

I experience a similar problem with TI v8.903 Windows Server Edition and the previous build that I originally installed. After creating an image I get an error message that the (all) drives are either in use and/or the logical drive contains bad sectors. Also, I get an error message on shutdown that "...memory could not be read at ..." that I don't get when True Image has not been opened. Rebooting the system is the only solution I've found(bad 'cause it's an active server) that will clear the error.

Interestingly, if no one is logged on to the server and the Acronis True Image GUI has not been opened since the previous bootup, the "scheduled" images seem to run OK and make multiple images/increments/full backups UNTIL the Acronis GUI is opened. However, the Win2K memory error presented on shutdown still persists unless True Image has not been run AT ALL. Then the system experiences no erro messages.

The reboot required seems to negate any resident drive "lock" so that the testing software only sees an "imageable" drive(s). In other words, no errors exists once the computer is restarted/rebooted.

Any advice?

6. ITperson

ITperson Guest

I forgot to mention in my previous post... The error message about the drives being locked for use or contain bad sectors only is reported by True Image when attempting to make two consecutive images without rebooting. The error occurs any time that I try and create "another image. The error code in the GUI is error 33, whatever that means. Only rebooting the server allows for the next image creation.

Otherwise the software has worked great. The recovery from Acronis secure Zone has already proved a lifesaver.

7. Acronis Support

Hello ITperson,

Thank you for your interest in Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Could you please try the following:
    1. Create an image;
    2. Try to create the second image and see whether you get the error message that the drive is in use;
    3. If you get the error message please right click on "My Computer", choose "Manage" -> "Disk Management" and wait till you see your partition layout;
    4. Close the "Disk Management" and try to create the image after that.

Please let us know the result.

Thank you.
    --
    Ilya Toytman

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.