Files and folders backup do not keep dates?

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by breeman, Oct 7, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. breeman

breeman Registered Member

I tried the new files and folders backup option in True Image 9.0 (build 2277). The backup seems OK, but when I restore the files to a different location the dates on the files and folders are reset to the restore date (both Created and Modified). I think this is not what you would want in a backup program, where keeping the original dates is very important.

2. jmk94903

jmk94903 Registered Member

Sure wouldn't want the dates changed on my files.

3. whmitty

whmitty Registered Member

Not retain file dates??!! Guess I'll wait'n'see

Not retaining original file date/times indicates that the Acronis programming staff have little practical programming experience vis-a-vis file handling, etc. Their strength seems to lie within a narrow region of making and dealing with disc images. Management definitely dropped the ball here.

That being said I've made excellent use of True Image versions 6 through 8 and it has saved me on numerous occasions so I will, like many others on this forum, just wait it out and give the benefit of the doubt to Acronis while they struggle with this debacle. :doubt:

4. foghorne

foghorne Registered Member

Acronis reps, can you please confirm that you have read and understood the problem described in this thread. Could you let us know if you intend to treat this as a bug or if this is intentional behaviour.

Imho modifying the dates on a file backup is very close to modifying the data within the file itself and is something I would find absolutely unacceptable.
    This is supposed to be one of the distinguishing features between TI8 and TI9. If those distinguishing features are broken or operate in an unsatisfactory manner, then it does beg the question of why anyone would want to move from TI8 ?

Thoughts please Acronis reps.

5. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello all,

Thank you for using Acronis True Image.

Please accept our apologies for the delay with the response.

The issue you are describing is fixed in the new build of Acronis True Image 9.0.

Thank you.
    --
    Alexander Fedotov

6. breeman

breeman Registered Member

Re: Files and folders backup do not keep dates? build 2302 works?

I just tried a files/folders backup and restore with build 2302. The Create and Modify dates of the restored files are now identical to the original files. I also tried to restore individual files from an earlier image backup. Again the dates were OK.

Problem solved?

7. Acronis Support

Hello breeman,

Yes, the problem has been fixed in the latest build (2302).

Thank you.
    --
    Irina Shirokova

8. Scopacetic

Scopacetic Registered Member

The same problem from back in 2005 is back again in 2006! I restored my Quicken data folder from last week and the modified and created dates were changed to the date and time restored. Quicken won't accept the files. Please address this ASAP. I am using build 3,677.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2006
  9. TheWeaz

TheWeaz Registered Member

Check the defaults; there is an option to set the dates to the current date. You may have that checked.

10. Scopacetic

Scopacetic Registered Member

You're right, I didn't look at the options. Must be the default setting to use current date and time. Thanks so much.

11. Acronis Support

Hello Scopacetic,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Please accept our apologies for the delay with the response.

Please note that as TheWeaz mentioned using Acronis True Image 9.0 Home you can choose whether to restore files date and time from the archive or assign the files the current date and time. To set this option you should select Tools -> Options -> Default Restoration Options the go to the Additional settings and check/uncheck "Set current time and date for restored files". By default the option is checked.

Thank you.
    --
    Aleksandr Isakov

12. Allen L.

Allen L. Registered Member

Why in the world would Acronis by default check the option to restore your backed up files with the *current* date! That, at least to me, makes absolutely no sense, as then all of files along with your folders would be impossible to really check certain issues, that do occur frequently. I checked and mine have been making that change also, as for some reason I left it checked as it was in a remote area of options.

Can someone give me a reason or two to change any 'backup' file to a different date than when backed up? I see nothing off hand...but of course I could be overlooking the issue.

Allen o_O

13. foghorne

No, I cannot think of any reasons - and I concur with your views about the default.

Why was this default chosen in the first place and why wasn't it picked up in testing ? WTF am I missing?

F.

14. Christopher_NC

Christopher_NC Registered Member

Yes, one. If I am making a second copy of a file, using ATI to restore that file to a new location, then having the restored date and time can differentiate this file/directory from the original. Since even Acronis does not suggest storing valuable data solely in the form of .tib archives, restoring those files regularly could be part of a thorough backup strategy.

Though it would seem that for most users restoring the files and directories with the original date & time would be the best, and most intuitive, default option. I certainly do not want the dates changed on my hundreds of folders containing photographs, which are named and dated intentionally, for ease of access.

That said, on this and many other counts I wonder how much of this isn't a hold over from Linux protocol. As a long time Windows user, and having never used Linux as an OS, I was unfamiliar with Mounting and other commonly used Linux operations. What may make sense in a UNIX or LINUX environment, or, in an enterprise/server backup environment, may not be the most user friendly way to do things for Windows users. Particularly those of use who don't expect file dates to change by default.

But, as with all programs, going carefully through the setup and default options is important. ATI is a powerful tool, but can make serious changes if left unfettered.

I find that many ATI options are not easily understood, and could be better explained, either in the user manual, or in an on-line resource for those of us curious enough to go look. Acronis, please give us the reasons why, and thorough explanations, of each step. Some of us want this, others need it, and for those who could care less, a few (hundred) pages of technical content available on request won't scare them off. And, in the user manual, when something important is being done by default such as changing restored file attributes, it should be clearly highlighted, with graphical examples & screen shots of the before and after. Doing this may even cut down on the volume of support requests.

Regards

15. foghorne

Each to their own Christopher. I'm afraid I would never find this useful. I often restore trees of project files, which whilst distinguishable internally it can be helpful and quick to visually scan their dates to confirm which build of a project I am working with. If I ever needed to make a second copy of a tree I would simply distinguish it by changing the name of the root folder. I wouldn't want the dates touched at all.

F.

16. Christopher_NC

Christopher_NC Registered Member

Agreed. Files and Folders restores in ATI seem to be a work in progress, and, an imperfected one. Perhaps the warning message could appear at the outset of a Files and Folders Operation, Proceed with Caution, Construction Zone Ahead.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.