Filehosting DL privacy

Discussion in 'privacy problems' started by PotatoShredder, Aug 29, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PotatoShredder

PotatoShredder Registered Member

Hello! Been around the forum for a while. I'm not really that concerned about my privacy, but one thing has annoyed me a bit:

I've been using tor for quite a while. But it seems it does not help cloaking my IP when downloading directly from file-hosting sites (Mainly I use rapidshare and megaupload). Is there a way to work around this by downloading through a proxy or something even more secure and anonymous? So far I've only seen this for torrents, but since I'm no expert, it might work too.

I hope someone got a good answer for this, since I'm clueless.

Thank you :)

2. LockBox

LockBox Registered Member

Yes, Tor would be extremely slow for that purpose and it's not what it was really designed to do. Any OpenVPN-based VPN provider (discussed all over this sub-forum) would suit your purposes. Many advertise and market their use for torrents, but they work for all the mega/anonymous file downloading sites as well. It's just an encrypted connection from you to the VPN.

3. PotatoShredder

PotatoShredder Registered Member

Hello. Thanks. I had to be sure. Well, I'll go through the list of VPNs and find something that suits me.

Thank you very much!

One last question: My doubts began when I could see the rapidshare download link in the history when while using tor, yet the homepage of rapidshare was not to be seen on my history. Does this mean I download somewhat directly without Tor even if it's turned on. Because I don't see how it fits, since I first enter the site and waiting line on a Tor IP, but I download with my own IP. Is it still going through Tor some way then?

Last edited: Aug 29, 2010
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.