FileDrop tool - A security risk or Not?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Tyrizian, Feb 18, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tyrizian

Tyrizian Registered Member

Play the video on the official website, to see exactly how it works:
    -http://www.filedropme.com/?utm_expid=49553064-0-

Here is an article about it as well:
    http://www.freewaregenius.com/send-files-to-another-computer-with-filedrop-windows-mac/

I have tested this out on two of my computers/home network, and it works flawless, no problems

Its a clean download and doesn't run anything suspicious in the background either.

But, just because of what it's capable of doing, would this tool present any risk?

The technology is cool, but it kind of bothers me that it's able to see my wallpaper on the other Filedrop/connected machine.

Each machine must have the utility installed as well as on the same network in order for it to work, but what exactly is being seen/transmitted in between? I don't know, maybe I'm paranoid.

What is your thought on this? Would you trust it?

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 18, 2013
  2. Tyrizian

Just want to mention...

If I am going to use it, it will only be used on my secured home network and not some coffee shop Wi-Fi.

3. Tyrizian

When executed, it runs three processes

newlisp.exe

newLISP is a Lisp-like, general-purpose scripting language. It is especially well-suited for applications in AI, web search, natural language processing, machine learning and statistics. Because of its small resource requirements, newLISP is excellent for embedded systems applications. Most of the functions you will ever need are already built in. This includes networking functions, support for distributed and multicore processing, and Bayesian statistics.

Filedrop.exe
    The software's main process, I assume product execution and GUI

conhost.exe - Console Window Host
    The process runs under the Client Server Runtime Process (csrss.exe). The conhost.exe file is legit only if it's digitally signed by Microsoft and sits under the system32 folder, which in this case...it does. More info http://blogs.technet.com/b/askperf/...ws-7-windows-server-2008-r2-console-host.aspx

I also checked the processes under Online Armor's active connection information, and it is reporting that it is indeed connected via "localhost" and not some other location, which is also good.

I don't know, maybe I'm looking into this too far

Last edited: Feb 19, 2013
  4. Tyrizian

Never mind, I'm no longer using it.

This thread can be closed now.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.