FileChecker v1.1 Beta released

Discussion in 'FileChecker & ID-Blaster Forum' started by javacool, Apr 24, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. javacool

javacool BrightFort Moderator

New features include a "save watch list feature", a "load watch list feature" (of course), and the ability to have FileChecker start up minimized in the system tray and start scanning immediately (using the save watch list and saved scan time - so you can now put a shortcut to FileChecker in your start menu).

Available from here: https://www.wilderssecurity.com/filechecker.html until mirrors are updated (and I promise after the software is taken off "beta" status I will notify mirrors before I post the file online!  :)) UPDATE: Seems as though the free webhosting site was pulled by the free webhosing company. All downloads should go to the wilderssecurity.com page.

Enjoy!  :D

-javacool

UPDATE: Those having problems with FileChecker v1.1 (error with a message along the lines of "this is not a valid Win32 application" should try re-downloading the file from the above address. (See post below for more information.)

2. javacool

Go ahead and re-download from the link above (until mirrors are updated) - new version 1.1.01 fixes the problem with files being incorrectly marked as "chronic file-size changers" in certain instances. FileChecker now has no more (known) problems with its scanning.

Grab the new update for the fix and the feature additions.

-javacool

3. spy1

spy1 Registered Member

javacool - Got the latest one, got all the goodies in there, got it re-named and moved and running smoothly so far.

Thank you! Pete

4. spy1

spy1 Registered Member

Or at least it's working fine on my WinMe computer.

After d/l'ing and installing it on my W98SE computer and trying to open it, I got a message saying that it wasn't a valid Win32 application.

Anyone else seeing that? Pete

5. javacool

FileChecker uses some dlls not present on some systems. They are however installed with other parts of the Microsoft Visual Basic SP5 run-time. Installing the run-time will install necessary dlls (it is available from MS here: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...s&Value=Visual Basic&Show=Alpha&Start=&Page=0).

Hope this helps.

-javacool

6. Blacksheep

Blacksheep Spyware Fighter

7. snowman

snowman Guest

Java

this is the message I get when going to the url you posted.

404 Error - File Not Found
    The page or file you are looking for http://javacool3.freeservers.com/index.html is not here.

snowman

8. snowman

snowman Guest

Java

ok...I have a copy....got it from the dl site provided here at the BB by Paul

Thanks Java.......appreciated.

snowman

9. javacool

Well it looks as though someone got the page taken down. I don't really know why, but it happend.

I thouroughly checked the Acceptable Use Policy, and I was not infringing on anything - I would guess some "misguided person" at freeservers looked at the site and figured it was some sort of "file tampering program"... :rolleyes:

Good thing the mirror at wilderssecurity.com is still up (thanks a LOT Paul!).

-javacool

10. mapsonx

mapsonx Registered Member

Mr. Cool

I just downloaded Filechecker 1.1 a short while ago.  I am receiving the same error message.  I already have Visual Basic SP5 installed.  

Filechecker 1.0 loads up fine.  

What to do??  o_O

Thx

J

11. Spice7

Spice7 Guest

Im getting the same error message
    that filechecker isnt a valid win32 app
    also winrar said it was a "short" file

filesize is 463 bytes !!!  wtf ?

i also have vb5 sp3 i think on here and  98se
    any offers please ?
    thanks

spice

ps i have already installed
    the dll and registered it when i installed
    The Ad aware checker 1-01

12. spy1

spy1 Registered Member

Yeah, I got 463 bytes, too.

This is definitely either 'bare-bones' programming at its best or a definite problem with our copy of the d/l.

Oh, Paul? Pete

13. Paul Wilders

Paul Wilders Administrator

Sincere apologies!

As it seems, something went wrong when uploading the latest update  :mad:.

All has been corrected in the meanwhile; a copy is available from the known URL:

www.wilderssecurity.com/filechecker.html

(One of those days...)

regards.

paul

14. mapsonx

Everything seems to be working fine.  

Please excuse my novice ignorance, but I have a couple of questions.

1.  Since Adaware Checker is on the Filechecker watch list, does it still need to be activated manually at every startup?

2.  Which is the proper executable for NAV 2000--NAVW32.EXE or NVLAUNCH.EXE? Or does it matter?

3.  Bug? I've noticed that, occasionally, when I open up FileChecker, I must recheck the "Display notificaton pop-ups for all events" box.

Rgds

J

15. javacool

I'd be happy to answer them.  :)

You would not need to put at adaware checker on the watch list, but the ad-aware.exe and reflist.sig. If that's what you mean, then yes, you are fine and you do not need to run Ad-Aware Checker also.

I would put both programs on the watch list. Depending on the system there can be other files like NAVNT.exe, etc. (You can put all files with NAV in front of them in the watch list, to be sure.

Also, I just discovered a file in C:\Program Files\Symantec Shared (by default) called "NMain.exe" - this is used in the shortcuts (at least on my systems) to run the Norton AntiVirus GUI and configuration window. You might want to add it to your watch list also.

Not a bug, just a non-existent feature.  ;)

I'm working on a version with the ability for you to configure which report types you want pop-up alerts for (instead of all) - in that version, your preferences will be remembered for the display notification.

-javacool

16. mapsonx

Yes, of course, as soon as I read my own message & read the Adaware Checker thread, I realized my confusion.

:-/ So, just to be absolutely clear, cuz I'm dense, If you are running FileChecker, Adaware Checker is unnecessary/redundant?? :-/

J

17. Jooske

Jooske Registered Member

Time out please!
    Hope you people don't mind but i lost my way completely in all this. so till i know who is who and what is for what i'm not downloading nor installing anything at all anymore.
    I understand there was Ad-Aware, which was fine to clean the system from spyware.
    Then there came some other tool to destroy Ad-Aware software, if i understood well was that Ratcliff or name like that.
    Is that correct? Or was Ratcl. a tool to destroy the Ad-Aware destroyer?
    After that came some different (?) FileChecker tools i understood now there are more then one, which might or might not do the same (?) or destroying each other (?) or destroying the Ad-Aware destroyer (?) or destroying Ad-Aware itself (?)
    And is AdAware checker an separate tool or a function to activate in file checker?

All i want is a running Ad-Aware which is reliable and i want to know if the other thing (which of the many?) is a protection or check or destroyer of AA destruction software or whatever. I am not intending to load my pc fuller any more with all kinds of software which might ruin programs or give other conflicts and leave me with a corrupt system.
    Like i have for instance other protective software which jumps up when something suspicious is trying to run, so i think for my ideas some kind of protection alerting when something is intending to remove some file(s) , in this case AA parts, would do it i guess. If that protection also tells me which software or site is trying to do so (and has a log file so i can send some to abuse) and a path on my system so i can remove that destructive software, i think this is what i need/want/like.
    So tell me is this possible and which is which.

Then i see in this thread mentioning VB 5. Most software on my system uses VB 6 and last SP (SP5 i think it is). So i'm most certainly not downgrading my VB and having the risk lot of my other software has less functionality for that.

Thanks a lot.

18. spy1

spy1 Registered Member

Jooske - AdAware is the program that tells you if there is spyware on your system (at least, according to their definition of spyware/adware).

RadLight came along and, if you d/l'ed and installed it, it would remove/cripple AdAware so that RadLight's spyware could happily roost in your computer.

AdAware Checker was created by javacool to alert you to an occurence of AdAware being disabled while at the same time preventing the attempt. AAC was  specifically designed to guard AdAware only.
    (If you'll look in this thread, BTW, you'll see that the most recent version of VBR was recommended for d/l for the people that needed it: http://www.security-pro.co.uk/yabb/...ftware;action=display;num=1019532173;start=20 ).

Okay so far? Good!

Now, FileChecker will accept and 'watch' any program exe that you want to put in there. Once again, if someone needs VBR, they're pointed to the most recent one (I think you're just reading that wrong _ you're seeing SP5, but you're reading Version5, if you know what I mean ).

FileChecker doesn't (at the moment) have all the features you're looking for, but javacool is working on that. It already does hold the watch-list from one start to the next, can be made to start with windows,  gives you an onscreen alert if something is tampered with and will give you a 'List of Events' screen (assuming that something happens to list).

Hope this clears it up for you. Pete

*PeteNote: FileProtector, by PepiMK, does basically the same thing as FileChecker, but it has the additional feature of checksum protection/checking that's time adjustable. It's available here ( DIRECT DOWNLOAD LINK! ) : http://patrick.kolla.de/software/files/fileprotector.zip

**mapsonx - Yes, if you're going to use FileChecker, then AAChecker is redundant - just make sure you remember to include AA's stuff in FileChecker.

19. javacool

Just a minor note to remove confusion:
    -FileChecker has the checksum feature, (so even if a malicious program changes a file, and fakes file attributes, the file change will still be detected). FileChecker operates by checking files on an interval (separate intervals can be specified for the regular checking and the file checksumming). FileChecking is somewhat similar, therefore, to NIS File Check, but runs in real-time. FileChecker does NOT intercept any system calls, or try to block access to those files.

-File Protector, by PepiMK, takes the other approach by simply trying to block deleting and changing of files. In this case, it is quite useful - but there always is the chance of a conflict (as there still is, I guess, with FileChecker, but to a much less degree). However, you may have files where you want to know if they change, but not necessarily block file changing or deleting because it could cause conflicts with other programs (ex. might be PestPatrol files - you might want to know when they change, but since they update quite often, and possibly automatically, you don't want to block their updating because that could cause problems with the automatic updater program).

-javacool

**Jooske - A new version of FileChecker that I am working on will let you select to export the events list to a text files, for review later. PLUS, this new log file has data such as the date and time the event occured.

20. spy1

spy1 Registered Member

(Sigh) my apologies, JC, I'm testing both programs and I'm getting a little confused myself. Pete

21. mapsonx

Monsieur Cool,
    I think I got it!!
    A thousand thanks for all your efforts and extreme patience.  If I had been in your place, I think I would have started resembling the geek from Saturday Night Live long ago.  
    Thanks also to Pete and any others with helpful input.

J  

22. spy1

spy1 Registered Member

mapsonx - You're quite welcome. Pete (spy1) :)

23. javacool

Hehe.  :D I remember that skit...

"Move!" ;)

-javacool

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.