FileChecker v1.0 Beta released (new program)

Discussion in 'FileChecker & ID-Blaster Forum' started by javacool, Apr 24, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. javacool

javacool BrightFort Moderator

Some people suggested that I implement features in the Ad-Aware Checker program to allow it to check and log modifications/deletions/tamperings in all files that you add to a "list".

Enter FileChecker.

The current version is still 1.0 BETA. This doesn't mean that it includes horrible bugs, but that not all features I wanted to include are included yet (most importantly, a feature to store your "check" list so you can have FileChecker run at startup with no necessary configuration every time it is run).

Right now, however, FileChecker will allow you to add any file to a database, and will watch those files for potentially malicious happenings. If files are modified, deleted, or tampered with, and are on your check list, you will be (optionally) notified with a pop up window, or the actions will just be logged for review later. Basically, you can now add your firewall, AV, or any other program of files you want to a main watch list - and you will know if something malicious has tried to corrupt/uninstall/edit it without your knowledge.

The website it's up at is https://www.wilderssecurity.com/filechecker.html.

Sorry if you don't find the webpage itself well-developed in terms of its graphics  ;) but I'd rather concentrate on getting the program and website content done first, then on making it fancy-looking.

Comments/suggestions/bug reports/etc. are all greatly appreciated.

Enjoy!  :D

-javacool

P.S. You may notice some weird numbers in the FileChecker system tray bar icon - these are simply there as a small method of making it harder for a rogue app. to terminate FileChecker. New versions will include even more techniques of assuring your files are still being watched for tampering.  :)

2. FanJ

FanJ Guest

WOW Javacool, great work !!!  :D

Do I understand it right that the real-time monitoring is also working on W98?
    File Change Alarm (which also does real-time monitoring) from Albert works only on W2000, NT, XP; while NIS File Check does not real-time monitoring.

3. Paul Wilders

Paul Wilders Administrator

4. spy1

spy1 Registered Member

"A couple people", huh? ( <g> ) .

Thank you for getting this one off the ground.

Can the folder and exe be re-named and still work (to prevent its being disabled)?

Add to 'To do' list: Make it capable of chopping your Internet connection if AV/At or firewall programs go down - if that's not possible in all cases (cable/satellite connections) , then force close of browser and default email programs.

The more people who develop this type of program the better off we'll all be. Pete

5. Yes, the program file can be renamed to prevent it being disabled, and it may be placed anywhere on your hard drive, in any folder.

As for chopping the internet connection - I will certainly look into it.

6. Yes, the program will do real-time monitoring of files on Windows 98.  :)

7. Checkout

Checkout Security Rhinoceros

Hey Ghost!  You must have the same problems I suffer from!  :)

8. spy1

spy1 Registered Member

Okay, so far, the only one I had to remove from the list was RegProt (kept getting a warning that the file-size had changed - how do you kill or okay the warning?).

I've got NOD32, AVG, LnS and TDS all being watched every 3 seconds.

Talk about easy on resources - less than 1%!

Updated NOD and TDS after putting them in FileChecker - no adverse results or warnings.

When AVG or LnS update I'll let you know if I get an alert from Filechecker. Pete

9. javacool

UPDATE: My post earlier was incorrect. A minor bug in FileChecker causes this problem when you add files (a fix is on the way). In the meantime, in the newest version, if you add new files, save your watch-list, and then restart FileChecker, you will be fine (there is no problem unless you add new files after it has already scanned previous files).

-javacool

10. Blacksheep

Blacksheep Spyware Fighter

11. javacool

Lol - thanks.  :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.