filechecker use

Discussion in 'FileChecker & ID-Blaster Forum' started by sundown, Nov 26, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sundown

sundown Registered Member

Hi, I was wondering if it only works with IE, would it cause a conflict with Lavasoft AdAware, would it be a good choice for parental controls to keep kids "safe" while surfing by limiting the sites? Also, I'm not a guru so is it pretty easy to setup and use? Thanks

2. pin

pin Registered Member

i didn't design the software, but from my experience using it:

it watches any file whatever on your system, not specifically IE, so there are no conflicts with it (i use filechecker and IE6 at the same time with no problems anyway). it doesn't conflict with adaware, but of course if you remove a file using adaware that you were watching using filechecker, filechecker will warn you that the removed file has been changed.

it has no parental controls, it's more security related software. however, i guess you could put certain files into the filechecker list and if your kids happen to change those files (like financial records), then filechecker will tell you.

filechecker doesn't BLOCK access to anything as far as i know. it merely sits in the background watching activity.

3. javacool

javacool BrightFort Moderator

pin pretty much covered it.

FileChecker simply sits in the background, watching files you place in its watch-list. If any of those files is modified in any way or removed, you are notified. It has checksumming capabilities which allow it to determine if a file is modified EVEN if a malicious program alters the programs attributes and otherwise tries to hide the fact that the file was changed.

It does not have any website blocking features. FileChecker does, however, have an optional password lock feature, to keep other users from altering its settings.

Regards,

-Javacool

P.S. You may find that if you want to keep your kids from accidentally downloading spyware onto your system while browsing the web, that SpywareBlaster ( http://www.wilderssecurity.com/spywareblaster.html ) is a very useful application. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.