File System Protector v1.0 - Lock Files\Folders, Deny Write Access to Files

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by novirusthanks, Dec 10, 2015.

1. Mr.X

Mr.X Registered Member

I'm completely confused and as a potential customer disappointed with all these File/Folders protectors. What's going on?

2. paulderdash

paulderdash Registered Member

NVT are the best contenders to come up with an improved Secure Folders that everybody wants ... FSP is only at v1.0.
    But they seem to have so many good ideas on the go, they don't get around to the GUI that everyone also wants - though they can do this also, witness ERP.
    We just have to be patient! :)

3. Buddel

Buddel Registered Member

I'm afraid you are right because there is currently not a single alternative to Secure Folders available, at least none that is as good as SF. Andreas? Can you hear us?;)

4. PaleDark

PaleDark Registered Member

Guess they need more contributions from donors :p. Otherwise, the development/ improvement is expected to be slow.
    Like my mom says nothing is free. All things come at a cost directly or indirectly.

5. Mr.X

Mr.X Registered Member

That's why I don't like this donation scheme, actually never liked.
    If I say or someone says he did a substantial donation today or yesterday or a month ago and the development stills slow, how can I expect things to go? Is my donation enough to demand things to speed up? What would happen?

For me is better to sell the programs at a low cost in shareware or trial scheme. If it doesn't work for the developer/firm then shut the project down and inform your "customers/followers" how things are now. Not a disturbing silence instead.

6. PaleDark

PaleDark Registered Member

Relax relax... :)
    I do believe this FSP Project hasn't been abandoned. Currently I think Andreas and their team is working hard trying to prioritise some of their project (like SOB, etc).

7. ichito

ichito Registered Member

Not exactly...if you use Windows up to 7 you can use ThreatFire which can create quite detailed rules for folders and processes that can be allowed to modyfying its. TF is still free but if you want to pay for modern and still developed app we have SpyShelter (from XP to Win10) in which we can create protection rules for any important for us file/folder:
    - you create a list of such files or folders giving them attribute "personal" or "general"
    - "general" means that if you allow some app e.g. noetpad.exe to access to one location, you autmaticaly allow it into all others locations on the list with attribute "general"
    - "personal" means that e.g. notepad.exe is allowed to enter only to this location which had been allowed in given alert - some can be allowed, some can be denied.
    It works only when we have protection level on "ask user".

8. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Isn't it win 7 32 bit only?

9. ichito

ichito Registered Member

TF?...perhaps only 32, but SS both 32 and 64 bit.

10. TestPersonX

TestPersonX Registered Member

Do the exclusion work for you?
    I want to disable any sort of access to my backup-drive Z:\ except for SyncBackPro.exe, which should be able to sync files from D:\ to Z:\.
    So I added "SyncBackPro.exe" to te excluse-list - doesn't work. SyncBackPro does NOT have access to Z:\ and thus can't backup anymore...

EDIT: IT WORKS!!!!
    You have to add the full path from the .exe-file to exclude it. Not only the filename itself.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2016
  11. Mr.X

Mr.X Registered Member

@novirusthanks

Hi Andreas, are you planning to upgrade this program?

12. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

It's pc security inventions like NVT puts out (and choice others) that even keeps me on Windows after MS started an aggressive snoop campaign at their customers/users. But that's topic for another thread.

There are others of course but interaction 'directly' with highly motivated/dedicated Developers and in this style format is beyond cost assessment IMHO.

Now then products are of a different matter of course. Ya gotta keep the bacon on the table for the family right?

I still use and like Secure Folders, it works on 10 excellent, but this looks to be an alternative to me old sentimental holding on to abandonware habits when they get around to putting this one in the que for remake. :)

13. Mr.X

Mr.X Registered Member

I like and was using SF prior trying FIDES a few days back. I like and feel "secure" when software is being maintained as time marches on though.
    I think this NVT FSP has the potential to succeed in many ways. Besides it's FREE. :)

14. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

Couldn't agree more. It's highly likely when a next version emerges it's going to replace my Secure Folders.

You just can't beat setting Permissions where Files/Folders can't be read, reached or otherwise accessed on individual end user preference.

And as you say, FREE!

15. paulderdash

EASTER, curious why you still use SF, can't you achieve same with RansomOff folder protection feature?

16. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

Yes I do @paulderdash very well and outstanding it is. However I interchange hard drives like I always done and each has different security setups, that's all.

Secure Folders is like an old friend you want to keep around close on something where it's still fabulous. :rolleyes:

17. paulderdash

Agree SF was (is) great.

Would be great if Andreas would have a look a that, and somehow replicate it, but with per folder exclusions also i.e. define which programs can write to which folders.

Until then, GUI-less Pumpernickel (FIDES) :), or RO where I have it. I use these only to protect backups on external USB drives.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2018
  18. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

Excellent security in place with those. I so badly like to add FIDES and others but lack of a GUI is so yesterday it turns me to think of all the extra time it would take to configure rules.

With apps like RO, OSA and ERP 4, it's a dream to have simple access to rule control at a granular level with the press of a button from Menus.

19. paulderdash

Agree, but not too many backups so not too many rules in this case. End OT ;).

20. guest

guest Guest

File System Protector v1.4 Released (September 27, 2018)
    Website

21. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

Thanks.

No Portable version yet

22. guest

guest Guest

I wish it can hide folders from various explorers.

23. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

Maybe they'll get around to that too (fingers crossed)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.