File monitoring

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by tonyjl, Feb 7, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tonyjl

tonyjl Registered Member

Hi guys,how is everyone?

I have MJ RegWatcher,but replaced it with RegDefend and have been using MJ RW as a file monitor. The problem is that it doesn't say what is accessing the files,nor can it pause/block modifications or quarantine any files.

Are there any file monitors that are light on resources,have a customizable watch list and do the above?

Basically,give the features i mentioned to MJ RW,and that's the sortta thing i'm after.

If not,can you say what you are using,how close it comes to above,and give a link if possible.

I'm fussy i know :)

Thanks

2. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

3. tonyjl

tonyjl Registered Member

Thanks Bubba,tried that while ago,a bit heavy on resources if i remember correctly. But i'll give the latest a spin.

Thanks again

4. Graphic Equaliser

Graphic Equaliser Registered Member

MJRW can quarantine files that may have been added, but you must be in prompt or reject mode. This is from the help file :-

Subkey additions, and file and directory additions are quarantined, in that .reg files are made of the subkeys in the directory MJQuarantine off of the installation directory. File and directory additions are moved to this directory.

I just tested it with the windows\tasks directory, and MJRW automatically quarantined any new task I tried to setup, when running in reject mode.

HTH,

5. tonyjl

tonyjl Registered Member

Yes but it doesn't do that for all files/directories,just the startup folder and tasks folder.

6. Graphic Equaliser

Graphic Equaliser Registered Member

No, it does it for any file or directory spec you have in your list. It is simple to test it out. Put a simple text directory spec in the list, and put MJRW into reject or prompt mode. Deliberately add a file to this directory (use explorer to copy and paste it in if you like). MJRW will popup offering to quarantine the added file if in prompt mode, or automatically quarantine it if in reject mode. It works for any directory spec and wildcarded directories. Files that are added can always be quarantined. Files that are changed or deleted cannot be undone by MJRW. This has been discussed on the Wilders thread at https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=54666 - preventing such changes (or rolling them back) would involve far too many resources, especially on large system files. However, MJRW's purpose is to spot when trojans are foisting themselves upon your system, and that's when many many file additions occur.

7. EASTER.2010

EASTER.2010 Guest

I must add for the record that i only just started with RegWatcher only recently but after reviewing the many posts to the Topics right here on it plus doing an early review of my own, i am Highly Impressed!! And it takes a lot anymore to flip that switch in this camp. ;)

Heh, i done the exact opposite, tried RegDefend and found it not exactly on par to my expectations, but then we all have our own personal preferences or that might be systems compatibility confidence.
    On an XP Pro unit running alongside SSM (latest beta) i find RegWatcher already far surpasses my highest expectations and it would take a Fort Knox app to pull me away from this now. It is very light on resources for this old 1250MHZ AMD (Duron) CPU w/512MB.

RegWatcher! What else would you need?
    I was looking for coverage specifically on certain folders and this is the ticket to the confidence i was hoping for.
    btw, as a researcher i have a nice collection of the worse possible types of malicious ugh ware i will be putting up against these programs locally and from what i seen so far i don't feel any need to have to ready my XP Pro install Cd from out of the closet. :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.