File managment - what tools do I need to manage my files?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Wai_Wai, Oct 13, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Wai_Wai

Wai_Wai Registered Member

File managment - what tools do I need to manage my files?

Scenario: I have many files and folders in different drives. I would like to categorise, sort, organise them; so I can find my desired files easily.

It doesn't matter whether the tools are free or payware.

1) Renaming
    What tools are good at doing complex renaming tasks for multiple files?

2) Categorization
    I'm not sure if I can achieve the following. The categorization approach is similar to content management system in Drupal.
    - For example, there are several files and their proper category:
    File name.....................File Type..................Category
    How to play football........Book........................Educating material, Sports
    Healthy Sports...............Book.......................Health, Sports
    Eat Well, Sleep Well........Book.......................Entertainment, Health
    Football Game................Game......................Entertainment, Sports
    PDF Reader....................App........................--

- As you see, each file can be assigned to more than 1 category
    - When I select that category, the program will list all files which contains that category tag
    - I can further sort/filter files based on file name/size/type, extensions, attributes and so on.

If the above can't be achieved, then recommend something which can do similar things.

3) File Management
    Is it possible to attach more property information to the files?
    It is used to easily locate or preview the file before opening it.
    Things like:
    - description of the file
    - comments of the file
    - ratings

4) Sychronization
    a. How can I compare and update files/folders on the same computer?
    b. What if I need to compare and update files/folders on different computers?

5) Workspace
    - Is there any way to tell computer to remember what files/programs/folders I have opened?
    I would like to save that combination, so I can open the same files/programs/folders next time in a very quick way.

6) Move Tab
    - Is it possible to relocate/move tabs located at the bottom of the screen (see attachment)?

Thank you. :)

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 13, 2006
  2. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Hi Wai Wai

First of all I would keep it simple. The more categories the more confusion. I have 3 different businesses, and I just keep one file for each under a backup folder, in mydoc's. This has served me well.

As for file and folder synchronization, try the synchronize program at this site. http://www.ajcsoft.com/index.php

It is inexpensive and well supported.

Pete

3. Wai_Wai

Wai_Wai Registered Member

If you understand how it works, it is not confusing at all. Don't guess it wrong I'm simply copying the same file under each category. What it does is to place a category tag on the same file. The file is stored in one location only.

If people know Drupal, they will know how this idea works.

But I'm not sure whether I can do the same in file management.

Thanks. :)

4. HandsOff

HandsOff Registered Member

Hi Wai Wai,

I think I understand your question a little bit, although I don't use this capability, I do have software that can do what I think you want to do.

Xplorer2 is a file browser, like Windows Explorer, but with quite a few efficiency enhancements (I do use the program just not the feature I am about to describe). X2 lets you add notes and keywords to existing files and allows you to search and move based on the result. It does this by using the normally invisible ADS (Alternate Data Streams) that can be attached to ADS files. From a file organization standpoint this is perfect. as long as you don't mind using alternate data streams.

Another feature of this software is a little hard to explain, but it's called flattening a directory tree, or branch. This allows a much more customized search, and the search can be based on more than just the normal parameters. Hey, for $20, you can't go wrong! The name of the software maker is a bit off the wall: Zabkat.

-HandsOff

BTW - I read that article on Zone Alarm that you link to. That is very disturbing! For a firewall product not to respect communications instructions is unforgiveable.

Also, since you have money to burn you may want to grab a couple copies of "Directory Opus" (one for me!). I havent used it. It probably is not as fast and efficient as XPlorer2 but it uses the overhead on things like caching thumbnails which may or may not be important to use. Directory Opus goes for about $80 last I heard. I think you will benefit from either one. I wish XPlorer2 would cache thumbnails, but it's creator is very big on keeping the program streamlined and efficient...Only, not so efficient if you have thousands of pictures!

Last edited: Oct 16, 2006
  5. diginsight

diginsight Security Expert

I just quote Total Commander to any question where it applies.

Total Commander's Multi Rename Tool

Total Commander supports "files.bbs" and "descrip.ion" files comments.

Total Commander synchronize dirs allows assymetric synchronisation.
    Total Commander also has a ftp client, port connection to other PC and shortcut to "My network places". I don't know if it the combination ftp client and synchronize dirs works, but I'm not suprised if it does.

Total Commander remembers the last folder you visited. It also supports tabs and grouping of tabs into a file, directory hotlist but AFAIK no grouping of files.

6. Genady Prishnikov

Genady Prishnikov Registered Member

Re: File management - what tools do I need to manage my files?

You're looking for what's called an "Explorer Replacement."

PowerDesk Pro 6 from vCom:
    http://www.v-com.com/product/PowerDesk_Pro_Home.html

I tried Windows Commander (now Total Commander) reviewed in an above post. It is old-fashion coding and is very similar to old Windows 3.1 programs. Check the screenshot: http://www.ghisler.com/picture.htm - It was a no go.

Powerdesk Pro 6 is excellent and I've been using it for years. It can be configured so many different ways. Truly, I would be lost without it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.