File backup cannot read locked files

Discussion in 'Paragon Drive Backup Product Line' started by RDeckard, May 21, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RDeckard

RDeckard Registered Member

One of the main aspects that I am looking for while trying out the trial version of Paragon Backup & Recovery 10 Suite is whether it is able to backup locked files (files which are locked for reading - in other words, somebody has the file opened and specified nil share flags).

I have my e-mail client open all the time, as well as several TrueCrypt container files mounted as HDDs. Both of these workloads have a few files which are locked.

I was hoping that the Paragon Hot Processing technology and its kernel-mode driver would be able to circumvent the locked files and speculatively back-up whatever data is there. But it looks like this technology is only for full hard-drive and partition backups - something I do not want to do as this would be too wasteful. I only want a few files backed up. I do realize that reading locked files may result in their backups being in an inconsistent state (e.g. not all file data may have been flushed out) - but I am willing to take that chance as long as I am able not to disrupt my normal work (e-mail client and mounted containers).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.