file association help (XP)

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by iceni60, Feb 7, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

hi, in the C\windows\media folder i have the sound files associated with Winamp, so when one of the files is played winamp opens too. can you tell me what the default association should be, please? thanks :)

Attached Files:

2. dog

dog Guest

The default out of the box from Microsoft is Window Media Player for wav/wma ... but really the choice is yours. It's a matter of preference. ;)

Steve

3. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

thanks, but the way it's setup now winamp launches when something from that folder is played. i just changed them to WMP and now that is launched when i double-click on one of them. does that happen to you too?

4. hojtsy

hojtsy Registered Member

Windows Media Player should be the default. But what does it matter? You couldn't want that one to open when you play wavs, now, do you? :D

5. dog

dog Guest

The file association will automatically launch the program that the file is associated with. Whether you double-click it to launch it, or right click and select play or whatever. It also set the icon used for the file type. It's the same with any association, like setting WinRar as the default for .zip, .cab, .iso etc. will launch WinRar to open those file types, they will also be shown in explorer with the "Stacked Books" icon. You can set the association any way you like, as long as the program is compatible/appropriate for the file type.

HTH, ;)

Steve

6. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

hi, hojtsy. no, you are right :D but, are you saying if you play one of those files it will open the media player it is associated with on your computer?

if i run one of the files the player associated with it opens. i thought you could have it so the file just gets played without having to open a media player too

7. dog

dog Guest

No a program has to open, to read/action the contents of the file. (See my post [#5] above yours for a little more info that may help you)

Steve

8. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

thanks, yes it helps. but, i still think it's odd. XP log off sound wav is associated with WMP, but when it's played WMP isn't launched. o_O i have to go and install all that norton stuff now. thanks for the help :cool: talk to you later :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.