Fifteen Hour Smart Scans

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security' started by VeryFrustrated, Dec 6, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. VeryFrustrated

VeryFrustrated Registered Member

Can someone please help me? I've emailed ESET and they wouldn't help. ESET was WONDERFUL the first few years I had them. My scans only took 90 minutes. I have done nothing different and have not added anything that would warrant 15 HOUR scan times. It started increasing gradually for no reason a couple months back. I don't have any viruses and haven't added anything new or different from my 90 minute smart scan times prior to it increasing so drastically. I also have PLENTY of space left. Can someone help me? I can't continue to do 15 hour scans anymore as I have a laptop that can really only run 10/11 hours a day. Thank you.

I'm in tears over this.

2. SweX

SweX Registered Member

Hello and welcome to Wilders.

Sorry to hear about your problem.
    Now this may, or may not be related.

But in this thread there is another user that also have seen increased scan time
    just like that. (Not fifteen hours but longer than usual)
    So if you want to you can read a little in this thread:
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=311927

3. VeryFrustrated

Hi

Thank you. I looked at the thread but they use a different version. I use Eset Smart Security so I can't tell how to apply that advice. I'll join in over there though and maybe someone will know.

I appreciate you responding - I wish you worked for them - you're so NICE! I'm crying right now over this and can barely read any posts. :(( I'm the type thats easily confused and just need help with this.

I noticed over there they were asking the person about the scan settings and telling them to click the "my computer" box and then on the drop down: "by profile" or something. Can someone maybe tell me about scan settings on Eset smart scan? Maybe that is the issue?

Last edited: Dec 6, 2011
  4. SweX

SweX Registered Member

Sorry I should have mentioned that the engine is the same in both NOD32 and ESS so the scan settings should be the same I guess. (I have never used NOD32 so I am not 100% sure though)

Oh thanks. We all try to help you know ;) Take it easy I am sure the solution isn't far away :)

Have you changed any scan settings, or are you using the defaults?

Also, it might be worth to mention what OS you use as well Windows, XP, Vista, 7 ?

5. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

Does disabling archives, self-extracting archives or limiting the size of scanned objects to, let's say, 20 MB in the profile used for scanning make a difference?

6. VeryFrustrated

hi Swex and Marcos.
    Thank you for your posts

Swex,

I'm Windows Vista. I don't know how to adjust the settings - so I'm not sure what they are on. I'm not sure how to view them and once there, what they should be on. Can you tell me how to view that?

Marcos,

Can you tell me how to do what you posted? I don't know how to do that either. God I'm a sad case aren't I? Lol :(

Thank you both.

Also, when starting the scan; it goes and then once its at 89%, it HANGS there for the next 12 to 15 hours - scan taking longer and longer and longer each time. How do I go back to default settings? I just added the latest version of Eset 5.

I'm logged in only in the evenings so if I delay in responding during day, I'll be on at night.

7. SweX

SweX Registered Member

Good that you said that, then it sounds like it get's stuck at one file, or similar.
    So making a scan with logging might be a good idea.

BTW I assume that the scan goes at normal speed until it reaches 89%, yes?

8. VeryFrustrated

Hi yes, its normal until 89%. It eventually finishes (hours and hours and hours later) but I can't do it that way.

How do a make a scan with "logging" as you mention? Does that return scan time to normal? (Once again, if I don't respond til tomorrow evening, its because I'm not online during day but I will read this as soon as I log in).

thank you :D

9. dwomack

dwomack Eset Staff Account

You can find your scan logs by clicking Tools and then Log Files. The KB Article for this is below:

kb.eset.com/esetkb/index?page=content&id=SOLN2817&ref=wsf

10. VeryFrustrated

Thank you. I found them. Eset tech has been great on phone - its just the emailing where they weren't very responsive. I was on phone on and off all day with them and nothing has helped. It still hangs at 89% for HOURS and hours.
    Where the scan hangs is "temporary internet files" I've cleared as Eset suggested, my temporary internet files. (And in my "deeper" temp files, there aren't the thousands it takes for scan "hanging" to be an issue.)

I guess there just isn't any solution. :oops:

11. VeryFrustrated

I just "talked" with someone about a problem they had with this a year ago. It turned out THEIR problem was with "permissions". Can anyone tell me how I should adjust those? Maybe thats it. This other person couldn't help as they use a different security company.

12. zfactor

zfactor Registered Member

i would personally guess as swex said its getting stuck on a certain file..being you said temp internet files what browser are you using? while its scanning it should give you the directory its scanning those files in. just to be curious open eset and click settings. then at the very bottom click enter advanced setup. see pic attached now pull down the menu as shown and click exclusions and then click add and direct it to the place its hanging as as shown in the scan. try to rescan after this..if this helps then we can say its a specific area or file that we need to look at..also could you run a cleaner like ccleaner and see if that clears out the history fully just in case its not being done entirely

Attached Files:

13. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

If a scan seems to have stuck, look at the statistics under Tools - Statistics. Is the counter of scanned files continually rising or it's stuck at a certain number?

14. VeryFrustrated

HI Thanks for your suggestions. I will try those over the next couple of days. Right now, ESET sent me intructions that start off with this:

Open Windows Explorer and navigate to C:\Windows.

yet they don't tell me HOW or WHERE to do this. I have no idea how to find "C"WINDOWS" in order to follow their instructions. Here is the link they gave me.

http://kb.eset.com/esetkb/index?page=content&id=SOLN554&_ref=zap

Can someone please tell me the exact steps on finding "C Windows". I literally need "Dummy proof" instructions.

Over the next few days, I'll try the latest ones on this thread too. Thanks for your help. I do appreciate it. :)

15. VeryFrustrated

I tried what you said and brought up the pic that shows in your post. However, I have no pull down menu. I clicked on all selections on my left and there was no pull down. I hate to say this but seriously, I'm too stupid to do this. I appreciate everyones help though but I just dead give up on this.

p.s.

(Later on)

I did find the pull down finally - but there is nothing in the empty box to the right after I click on exlcusions - I have no idea what to add in there. This is just too complicated. I'm just going to have to switch back to Norton. Thanks for trying to help though. That box "exclusions" was empty.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2011
  16. VeryFrustrated

I just noticed its always hanging at 89% in the same place - something called an otv.loader [1].swf.

17. zfactor

being that is labeled as [1] it usually means you have 2 copies of that file. can you locate that file on your system and tell me where its located? you can click that start button at the bottom left and then type this name in the search line. if nothing shows at the top in the middle you should see where it says "search again in"and you can click on computer and let it search. post results. the .swf leads me to believe its used for the shockwave, flash or air from adobe.

please make sure your flash player and adobe software is up to date as well. you can do this by checking in the control panel then programs and features you will see adobe items there and they should tell you the version number and with this you can check with the adobe web site to see if yours are older or not. current flash players are 11.1.102.55 adobe reader should be 10.1.xx.

but to add it to be excluded click add in the exclusions box at the bottom and you will get a new window. locate that file and now you can add it to exclusions...

18. VeryFrustrated

Hi,

I spoke to soon. Its not holding on one file - its the entire temporary file.

app/data/local/microsoftwindows/temporaryfiles - all of them. I have 800 of them and I read it takes thousands for that to be the issue.

Sorry for the mis-info in the last post. :blink: :ouch: :blink:

19. zfactor

ahhhh okay... do this click start now in the search line type disk cleanup at the top in that box you should see it listed at the very top of the box. click it.

EDIT: now wait for it to open and on the list uncheck everything EXCEPT temporary internet files, AND temporary files see pics click ok then click delete let it finish and try eset again......

Attached Files:

20. VeryFrustrated

I clicked start at the bottom left of my computer and typed in disc cleanup and it didn't find anything. No items matched my search. Or did you mean a start button on Eset? Nothing came up. :doubt:

21. zfactor

okay click start then click all programs then click accessories then click system tools now you should see disk cleanup there

22. SweX

SweX Registered Member

Making understandable screenshots is not my best part, so it's nice to see someone else doing that.....zfactor :D :thumb:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.