Fellow "snapshot" enthusiats, please don't forget to give a headsup should you...

Discussion in 'sandboxing & virtualization' started by ratchet, Jun 18, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ratchet

ratchet Registered Member

come across Rollback on sale anywhere. Having had two years of great functionality with CTM on an XP desktop and Vista laptop, the 64 bit desktop that I built with only a SSD just doesn't feel right without the convenience of a snapshot. For the moment I'm just using Windows 7 backup function, imaging to an external HD. I'd do that anyway, with monthly un-installs of Rb, defragmentation and then re-installation of Rb, the way I use CTM. Thank you!

2. Scott W

Scott W Registered Member

RB is currently available at a 25% discount on its Facebook page. But the next 'big sale' (60% discount likely) may very well happen on the 4th of July (US Independence Day).

Good hunting,
    Scott

3. ratchet

Thanks man!

4. TheQuest

TheQuest Registered Member

Hi ratchet
    It is not advisable [unwise] to Defrag a SSD.

Take Care
    TheQuest :cool:

5. ratchet

I knew that. Not sure why I mentioned it but thanks for reminding me! My new protocol will be to periodically update the base. Can you use Rb's defragment option (I assume it has one). If I recall from reading about CTM, it doesn't exactly defrag anyway. Will be most interested to read the replies to this question!

6. bgoodman4

bgoodman4 Registered Member

RollBacks defrag option only defrags the snapshots so I expect using it will do no harm to your SSD

7. Scott W

Scott W Registered Member

RB's snapshot-defrag operation is actually a snapshot-consolidation, so I don't see it harming the SSD any more than enabling TRIM, or for that matter the SSD's internal GC.

Scott

Last edited: Jun 19, 2012
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.