Fellow IT guy who's trying out NOD32, problem with doctors office setup...

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 2 Forum' started by YeOldeStonecat, Dec 9, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. YeOldeStonecat

YeOldeStonecat Registered Member

Along the Shorelines somewhere in New England
    A colleague who has been trying out becoming a reseller of NOD32, one particular install that is giving him grief. It's a SBS network...here's a quote from him...

"...doctor's office. They run an app called Perfect Care. It is server based, running Sybase Adaptive Server database. When NOD32 is installed on the workstations, portions of the app hang up or crash. It turns out, after much fiddling, that it is the IMON causing it to fail. And no matter what I allow app or port wise, this app cannot run with that module installed. If I edit the config and tell it to allow the UNC app executable, it works OK until I reboot. Then the entire PC hangs on reboot. I then have to go into safe mode; uninstall NOD32; reboot. What a PITA."

Has anyone here run across Perfect Care and NOD32 issues? I've installed NOD32 on several networks where the server is running Sybase, but not this particular application.

2. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

He could run Filemon from Sysinternals and monitor what files are actually being used by the application. Subsequently he could exclude them in IMON setup which should resolve the problem.

3. YeOldeStonecat

Will relay that to him Marcos...thank you for the quick reply.

4. twwabw

twwabw Registered Member

Hi Marcos, and thanks for the post Brian.

Would I / should I monitor the networked files as well? Very few files for the app actually run on the workstation- most are server based. This is where I ran into a big problem. When I excluded the unc path and filename to the executable, the app worked fine, until I reboot the workstation. Then it hangs and will not boot. That's when I need to go into safemode and remove NOD32, or it will sit there for an hour.

5. YeOldeStonecat

Just to double check for other to see what has been done....

In AMON, I always remove "Network" under media to be checked.

Safe to assume that the install to the SBS box detected it's a server, thus IMON disabled itself on the server during the install, correct?

6. twwabw

twwabw Registered Member

Yes- during install to the server, it detected it was a server, and disabled IMON.

But, this has nothing to do with the server. I completely uninstalled from the server and all workstations; did a standalone install on the WS's, with nothing running on the server, with the same problem. The issue is with the IMON implementation on the workstations. Currently, I have all reinstalled as stand-alones, with IMON not installed on all, so the app can run (which it does fine without IMON).

7. alglove

alglove Registered Member

Standalone install? As in both client and server portions running on the same computer? Is Perfect Care some sort of WebDAV based program?

8. YeOldeStonecat

He has a Small Business 2003 Server network...so the Sybase database engine on the server, and either 2K or XPp clients connecting. Client of this PerfectCare being run from the workstations, true client/server network.

Network, knowing his style, is I'm sure in top notch health, and setup properly, by the book.

9. alglove

Ahhh, OK. Now I see.

Are there any startup programs or services associated with the client? Maybe one of these would explain the hang at bootup.

Another possibility is that it might be one of those dreaded Winsock/LSP type problems. It could be between IMON and PerfectCare, or bewteen IMON and something else that is (or was) installed on the workstations. Try repairing Winsock. If you have WinXP SP2, you can accomplish the same thing by typing netsh winsock reset at the Command Prompt, followed by a reboot.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/811259/

10. twwabw

twwabw Registered Member

4 W2000 Pro clients, 1 XP Pro client- same thing, all workstations. All 2000's are clean fresh installs (since I took over), and the XP client is 2 weeks old (new PC). Nothing starts at boot. The app is started via shortcut that points to the executable on the server. App starts correctly, with no errors, but hangs when you try to query anything on the database.

Hanging occurs after I excluded the server based executable in the IMON customization utility. Setting the IMON compatibility to different levels has no effect.

11. alglove

Hmmm, this is a toughie. Any idea what ports are being used by the program (type netstat at the Command Prompt)? What happens if you go to IMON --> Setup --> HTTP --> uncheck "Automatically detect HTTP communication on other ports"?

12. twwabw

twwabw Registered Member

Played around some more this morning. Ports used are 2638 & 5873. I see no way to exclude these specific ports. Yes- I tried unchecking what you suggested- no change- still locks up app. Changed compatability mode- no change.

13. alglove

Testing stuff out on aSunday morning. Dedicated. :)

Something that still gets me is, why does the computer hang when you reboot? That would seem to suggest that something is starting up with the computer. Do you get any error messages (Application or System) in the Event Log?

I suppose you have also tried uninstalling PerfectCare just to make sure that IMON will start OK by itself.

14. twwabw

twwabw Registered Member

The joys of self-emplyoment.... every day's a workday :)

To clarify, the pc only hangs on reboot when I added the app to the excluded executables in the IMON configuration. And I referenced the app by full UNC path info. As I stated before, this allows the app to work correctly, as long as you don't reboot. Once you do- it hangs.

Can't reinstall Perfect Care- can only be done by them (what a racket!! :mad: )

Other than that, with IMON not installed, the app works fine.

Appears to use Java for the interface, possibly using an app called jConnect to script and handle the Sybase queries.

15. alglove

16. twwabw

twwabw Registered Member

Yep- I believe that's the one. I can try that tonight after hours.

17. YeOldeStonecat

^Bump^ for status update. :D

18. YeOldeStonecat

^Bump^...he's tried all the above, still no go.

19. Blackspear

Blackspear Global Moderator

Has he put a support call into Eset in the USA?

Cheers :D

20. twwabw

twwabw Registered Member

Hi guys- sorry for no update- been busy with other "fires". Like YOSC said, no go. Tried everyone's suggestions, no change. Only works with IMON not installed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.