Feeling Lost

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by Endless Night, Jun 17, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Endless Night

Endless Night Registered Member

How this?

ok with 69 plus views and no repsonses...i changed my post to this after some research.

how is this set-up:

with some research and advice...an updated list:

spyware: Spyware Terminator (real time scanning w/ HIPS) and SuperAnti-spyware (on demand scanning)
    anti-virus: Avast (higher detection rate than AVG)
    anti-malware: BoClean (Trojan killer)
    firewall: Comodo (practically unanimous choice everywhere)
    defrag: auslogics defrag
    registry: auslogics reg. defrag, ccleaner

everything works for xp and only the firewall isn't compatible with vista...yet.

just wondering will all these security programs kill my new laptop to a crawl...it has 2 gigs of ram?

also should i get any ad blockers or does firefox have an add-on for that?

p.s. i so let myself get out of date with tech...shame on me. :(

Last edited: Jun 17, 2007
  2. 19monty64

19monty64 Registered Member

Re: How this?

anti-virus: AOL-AVS
    anti-malware: BoClean, HijackThis
    firewall: D-Link (router)
    defrag: auslogics defrag
    registry: auslogics reg. defrag, ccleaner

I have 1 gig of ram and this set-up works great for me. I have about 15 other security-apps. that are all on external-source, ready if (when) I need them. Less chance of conflict or slow-down with this minimalistic set-up!

3. dw2108

dw2108 Registered Member

I use Solo AV and WinSonar for real-time protection, use the Opera or Maxthon Lite Browser, go anywhere on the net I choose, and don't worry about it. I save to removable media, and, if I get hit, then I got hit. Waiting for that zero day of doom, is a waste of time. There's too much to enjoy in life before I die.

Dave

4. the Tester

the Tester Registered Member

5. gerardwil

gerardwil Registered Member

For normal use there is nothing wrong with this setup.

Gerard

6. Tarq57

Tarq57 Registered Member

Endless Night, I have a very similar setup, I have 1G of RAM, and it certainly doesn't crawl. You could probably do away with Boclean while ST is in realtime, I also have the MVPS hosts file, which blocks known bad sites, and prevents a large percentage of ads, also.
    Also use Spyware Blaster for immunizing, no system hit.

PS have a look at http://www.kessels.com/JkDefrag/
    I think it does a slightly better job than Auslogics, but both are good.

7. innerpeace

innerpeace Registered Member

Hi and welcome Endless Night :) That setup is fine and it's also Free. You have plenty of RAM. You can disable some of the shields in Avast if you don't need them. You may also want to wait just a little bit until the new 4.24 version of BOClean is released. It should be very soon.

For Firefox, you want the NoScript extension to block java, javascript etc. and either Adblock, or Adblock Plus for blocking ads.

It's important to make sure the programs work well with your system, so install them 1 at a time to see if you like them and if they get along with your other software. I take it your running Vista, so make sure they are compatible. Comodo will take some time for it's Vista version as it's only in the Alpha stage.

Cheers, innerpeace

8. Bio-Hazard

Bio-Hazard Registered Member

Hello!

Welcome to wilders, sorry that you first try didint get any answers. Your set up looks good and you have plenty of ram like innerpeace said before me.

I have these and they are excellent extensions.

This is very good advice and it will save you lot of time and effort if something goes wrong. I had to learn it the hard way.

There are also other things you could add to your set up once you are happy that current one is working how you want it to work.

Kristian

9. Endless Night

thanks for the welcome and all the advice so far, but i wanted to let u guys know that i planned to use these apps on my xp machines (512 ram) as well as my vista machine. i know all the programs work with xp and most (except CPF) work with vista.

my only concern still is with all of these anti-spyware programs and how they run. Spyware Terminator runs in realtime, BoClean i'm unsure of, Spywareblaster i'm unsure of, and SuperAnit-spyware (free version) is on demand. do the first three just prevent and the last one scan/remove?

firefox...i have to get used to since i've been using aol for years.

so, i guess once i finalize my set-up choices...i just put on one program at a time, fix settings, and see how it works.

10. walking paradox

walking paradox Registered Member

BoClean is only realtime, it has no on-demand scanner. Spywareblaster is also only realtime, though it doesn't have any service running, rather it makes adjustments to your browser upon installation. The free version of SAS is strictly on-demand. And yes, generally speaking real-time security software prevents infections whereas on-demand security software scans/detects/removes infections.

You should test all the programs under consideration before finalizing your set-up choices to see how they run on your system, to test the user-interface, to ensure compatibility, etc.

11. Endless Night

^ ok since i'll be testing out some of these programs more...should i consider testing another on-demand scanner; such as AVG Anti-spyware?

also, would having more than one real time scanner be more beneficial once a computer is cleared of any spyware that might be present?

one more thing...should i consider any sort of web site authentification programs or anti-phishing programs?

if there not necessary that's ok...just wanna have my computers protected but still running quickly.

12. walking paradox

You can have as many on-demand scanners as you want, there should be no hit on your system resources (except for when you update or scan with them) or conflict between them. However some on-demand scanners create a service or have a process that runs in the background, I've heard AVGAS and A2 do this (anyone verify?), and thus some system resources would be used even when not updating or scanning.

In general, when concerning anti-spyware, multiple real-time AS's can offer added protection, but it often isn't needed, especially when using an alternative broswer such as firefox.

13. Endless Night

i just want to say thanks for the information...i'll be testing out the softwares over the next few days individually and in combinations and see how every thing goes.

more than likely if i'm pleased with how certain softwares work on XP, i will probably use them on Vista if they are compatiable. only thing i might have to wait on is Comodo's firewall.

again thanks for all the help, i'll be back with even more knowledge next time.

14. Tarq57

Tarq57 Registered Member

Yes, AVG AS, A2, and adAware2007 all run background services. SAS no. (Not yet, anyway.)

15. innerpeace

TypicallyOffbeat is correct about Spyware Blaster not using resources. The only benifit you will gain using it with FireFox is that it blocks certain bad cookies. It mainly benefits IE users. It doesn't hurt to keep it either ;).

Both FireFox and IE have built in phishing protection. Don't ask me how good they are though. I know FireFox can either download a list of suspected sites or asks google about them. All this is done automatically.

BOClean doesn't use much memory either. If it gets along with Avast and ST, it could be sort of a back-up to them. Tarq57 is correct about the other on-demand scanners using an extra service running all the time. I would steer away from ad-aware as it seems to be the heaviest.

16. Endless Night

here's an update:

i have tested everything out and like most of the programs i choose. but i'm undecided about BOClean and whether or not i need to use Comodo's v-engine?

since BOClean is a realtime scanner of malware, wouldn't it be of no use if i'm using avast! and Spyware Terminator in realtime as well?

also, what's an average amount of processes that should be running on a laptop ?

thanks in advance...

17. trjam

trjam Registered Member

Personally, if it were me. I would just purchase the Avira suite and use Sandboxie for free with SAS on demand, for free to. You really cant do better for the price.

18. walking paradox

Just because BOClean, avast!, and Spyware Terminator are all real-time scanners doesn't mean they provide the same protection or overlap into useless redundancy. Most signature scanners will catch something that other signature scanners won't, especially with regards to signature scanners that focus on different types of malware. Granted, in the current malware landscape those categories dividing different types of malware are dissolving, but an 'anti-spyware' can still offer added protection to an 'anti-virus', just as an 'anti-trojan' can still offer added protection to both an AV and AS together. I put the categorized signature scanners in quotes like that to show that even though they might be differentiated as such, doesn't mean that is actually what they are. Those names are increasingly becoming misnomers. Most signature scanners have signatures for all types of malware, and in that sense they overlap. But the signature scanners in each category (AS, AV, AT) still often have a focus or specialty, thus the oft-recommended strategy of having a signature scanner in each category. While I and many others see this as a dying strategy (with the inevitable decline of signature scanners and the increased capability and awareness of other security solutions like HIPS), having a signature scanner from each category can still offer added protection, albeit at the cost of increased system resource usage.

There is not an average amount of processes that should be running on a laptop, there is an average amount of processes that run on all laptops, but in the end neither of those things matter. The main concern people have with excess processes is excess system resource usage, but in that case its not the total amount of processes that matters as much as the amount of memory and cpu usage of each process. If you are concerned about excess processes for computer security reasons, then its not the amount of processes that matters, its the nature of the processes that matter, as in are there processes running that shouldn't be and might be due to malware of some sort, etc.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2007
  19. innerpeace

I don't know anything about the Verification-Engine. If your a safe-smart surfer, then I wouldn't think you would need it. I guess it would compare somewhat to the phishing filters.

BOClean is not neccesary, but I don't think it uses many resources. Like I said, it would be sort of a backup to your AV and AS. It is different because it watches things entering the memory. From what I know about it, it is suppose to catch anything nasty after it 'unpacks' and tries to enter the memory. I guess some files have to unpack/undress to expose themselves before entering the memory for them to run. This is BOCleans strengh. By the way, version 4.24 is out now. You can always try on your 2Gig machine.

As far as processes are concerned. That is something that has to be done manually and can take some research. Most new computers have a bunch of crap running that doesn't need to be. A lot of these can be uninstalled if you don't plan on using them. Windows has processes that are running that don't necessarily need to be running. That is where it gets complicated. Like Typically Offbeat was saying, It's not the number of processes, but how many resources they are consuming. Oh, and some processes have to remain running or your computer won't function. For now, uninstall programs that you don't use. For example, if you computer came with an instant message program your not using, get rid of it or stop it from starting at boot-up. If you have Spybot S&D, it has a tool that can prevent things from starting up. That is how I started learning. I researched each .exe and decided if I wanted it to start or not, then unchecked it.

Not to confuse you further, but another little program that has a free version is WinPatrol. It was my first 'HIPS' program. It doesn't use many resources either. It has the cool feature when you update a program like adobe reader or quick time updater, you can prevent it from autostarting.:cool: Quick Time does need to be updated though if you use it.

Sorry for being long winded, innerpeace

20. walking paradox

Another, perhaps more simpler, method of viewing, controlling, and researching your processes in regards to the unneeded startup entries that run in the background upon startup is to use the System Configuration Utility that's integrated into Windows. To get to it just go to Run, type in msconfig, hit enter, the System Configuration Utility will open, go to the tab called 'Startup', and then simply type in the name of each startup item into google and the first few links will often provide sufficient info about the process to let you decide whether you want it to run in the background upon startup or not. If you are unsure about an entry, you'd probably be best leaving it be, but perhaps you could ask about it in a forum such as this one, or test it by unchecking it and seeing if you lose any sort of functionality or something else happens to try and determine what it is associated with.

21. Bio-Hazard

Bio-Hazard Registered Member

Hello!

I hope this is not off topic, but i use processlibrary to check what processes are running on my machine. There also other programs you can use to see what processes are running on your machine:Autoruns and Processexplorer

Then i use free program called starter to manage whats starting when i boot up to windows.

I hope this was helpfull!

Kristian

22. msmelle

msmelle Registered Member

Hi. I've read all these posts and I too am trying to muddle through. I recently reformatted my computer and noticed that I had a virus after running AVAST PRO virus scan. It was in the Windos Volume Restore. After reading and reading and reading some more, I decided to disable restore (deleting all previous restore points except the last one) and rescanned. The virus doesn't seem to be there anymore. Boy it seems like no matter how safe you are there is always something.

I don't know which are the best to use though after reading all this. Presently I am using AVG Antispyware and spybot S&D and AVAST PRO Antivirus. If you can offer others to me, I would appreciate it. I'm also using IE6 and XP Pro. I don't like IE7. Thank you kindly.

Melle :)

PS If this post should be elsewhere, can someone please move it as I'm still working my way around the forum? Thanks :)

23. Tarq57

Tarq57 Registered Member

Hi, Melle.
    You did the right thing removing the restore points, most likely. Hopefully the computer is running well, now (since you have nowhere to restore it to, but following a reformat that shouldn't matter.)
    It is possible the virus found was a false positive, if it was found immediately after the re-installation.
    If the scan sensitivity is set to "thorough" rather than "normal" (which is the default, and recommended setting) this is more likely. Its swings and roundabouts, extra protection gained comes at some cost, sometimes.
    I have Avast set to normal and (with the help of a few other programs) am malware free. (touches wood...)
    If your AVG Antispyware is the paid version, running resident, that's fine. It's pretty good protection. If you have none running resident, open it say, twice a week, update it, and run a full scan.
    I recommend SpywareBlaster by Javacool. Uses no resource, changes browser settings to help prevent bad activex controls installing. Update about once a week. Free. Very good insurance (or rather, immunizing.) Also recommend CCleaner, to take care of temporary files, is often a first step in a malware removal procedure. Do read the help files or tutorial before using it, though. You can easily get rid of stuff you don't want to get rid of.
    Consider using Firefox browser instead of internet explorer.
    Make sure you visit Windows (or MS) update, and get all the critical security patches. Personally I wouldn't install the MRT (MS Malware Removal Tool) or WGA Notify tool. WGA itself is a bit insidious, but relatively harmless. The "notify" tool, more insidious. You may want to set the security centre to "notify me, but don't download or install updates". Depends how much control you want to have over what (and when) gets installed.
    What firewall do you use?
    Overall, you're pretty good, unless you like to visit the dark side. Most important things I see to improve is installing SpywareBlaster, and any possible firewall issue.

24. Endless Night

thanks for the info.

i have decided to keep BOClean, since i have already configured it and like TypicallyOffbeat said it has a specialty in AT.

as far as processes go...most of the trial programs and other things i know i wouldn't use were taken care of. i am concerned about what processes are running and the memory/cpu usage they have. i guess for now i can use TypicallyOffbeat's advice and use msconfig along with google to make a decision of these running processes/startups.

but...am i right to say that my realtime programs and web browser should be using more memory than any other process?

25. msmelle

msmelle Registered Member

Hi Tarq and thanks for your reply.

What firewall do you use?

I use the windows firewall. I have tried others in the past but they slowed down my system allot and didn't think they were that great. Unless you can suggest a good one. I have CCleaner, Registry mechanic and AVG Antispyware trial at the moment. I also use Advanced Windows Care to scan regularly. I did have the Microsoft Removal Tool previously before I reformatted. I don't remember if I put it back in since I had to do allot of reconfiguring. lol. I visit mostly Paintshop Pro sites *graphic learning groups*. I also have windows updates to update and install critical updates regularly. :):) I will consider spywareblaster as well. :)

Melle

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.