Feeling a bit naked......

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by ThunderZ, Jan 28, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ThunderZ

ThunderZ Registered Member

On my lap top running XP Pro SP2(old IBM Thinkpad T21 w\P IIIm 1GHz, maxed at 512MB of PC 100 RAM) I currently run in real time ZA Pro 4.5.594.000, BOClean 4.22.002, SpywareBlaster, Sandboxie for walking on the "Darkside" :ninja: , Also Firefox 2.0.0.1 with NoScript. For on demand along with a couple anti-spyware apps. (mostly count on BOClean to stop the bad guys before they even get a foothold) I run mwavscan free (Kaspersky engine). What I am trying to decide is if I want to add a real time AV scan and\or a Internet\download scanner. Comments, suggestions on "free" :( choices appreciated.

2. lodore

lodore Registered Member

i dono if it keeps you protected then do you really need an realtime av?
    lodore

3. ThunderZ

ahhhhh.....that is the question. ;) Have been into PCs` for several years. Perhaps I am just still to much of the "old school" way of thinking. There was a time when an AV was a must have. Some things have changed for the better while other things, malware threats, have changed\increased as well.

4. lodore

lodore Registered Member

but if you feel safer with a light realtime av is a different question.
    lodore

5. Londonbeat

Londonbeat Registered Member

If I was in your shoes, then I probably would install an antivirus to scan files in realtime - BOClean is an excellent product, but it doesn't detect file-infector (virus) malware. That's the only thing lacking in your list.

AVG, Avast!, or Antivir PE Classic are some good freebies, try them if you want and keep the one that you like the best.

Regards,
    Londonbeat

6. ThunderZ

Have toyed with the idea of AVG free. From reading the posts I understand it has a very customizable install, pick and choose which modules you wish installed. I know with Avast you can enable\disable various features how ever I do believe they are installed regardless. I am not at all familiar with Antivir. :oops:

7. ThunderZ

Guess I would. Have never run a PC without one. The only problem being is that my resource deprived old lap top really feels a slow down in all around performance if I am not very careful in what is running at startup. I am on that never ending quest :shifty: for the perfect blend of protection and kind to resources software.

8. FastGame

FastGame Registered Member

With Avast you can remove modules through Add & Remove.

9. ThunderZ

Thanks FastGame. I knew they could be disabled, was not aware of the Add\Remove ability.

10. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

actually u can choose not to install them, just select Custom during install.

as for the topic, i would add an AV. it certainly would make me feel safer.

11. ASpace

ASpace Guest

Protection is always better than cure!
    You know free antivirus softwares:
    AVG,Avast,AntiVir,AOL AVS,Clam

Choose one of them if you want free one

12. dan_maran

dan_maran Registered Member

I would chose to install Antivir, I currently have the free version installed on AMD 900Mhz/384MB and it has little impact on the system performance.
    Since all your other bases covered this should fill that "void"

13. lodore

lodore Registered Member

i thought ZA firewall was quite heavy maybe it could be replaced by something like jetico firewall. but i guess if you paid for it thats why your using it.
    lodore

14. ThunderZ

That is why I am running ZA Pro 4.5. Two processes equal less then 8MB. ;)
    Also trying out AVG free minus the e mail scanner. I run a small e mail client called jbmail. Views the mail in plane text on the server. No need for a scanner if you do not have to download it.

15. lodore

lodore Registered Member

thats ok then:D

16. ThunderZ

:thumb: Works well for me anyways. The lap top will boot and load to Desktop in about 60 seconds (after some registry tweaks and stripping the start up menu down to bare essentials). It is used mostly as a "toy" and on in home service calls for configuring routers or gaining Internet access when the Customers PC is unable to. Works well for pulling\salvaging data from PCs when a format is required on a badly infected machine as well. That is another reason I wanted a real time monitor. Never know what :ninja: may try to come across the LAN with some files.:rolleyes: :eek:
    While I am at it I have to give a :thumb: to Dr.WebCureit. Received a panic o_O call from a Friend who keeps all his business records as well as work related CAD design drawings on his PC. It had BSOD`d. He thought he had lost everything. :'( Made an emergency house call. Last known good configuration would not work, Safe mode did. Scanned with Dr. Web from a USB drive, could have also scanned from a LAN if I had chosen to risk connecting my lap top at the time. Cleaned up several trojans and some other malware. Got the PC back to a normal startup. Was able to backup his files, format, do a fresh install, and restore his data 100% intact. Ok, I know I went OT, but what the heck, I`m the OP. >TZ stepping off the DrWeb bandwagon :isay: now.<

17. lodore

lodore Registered Member

the op can go ot lol
    lodore

18. trjam

trjam Registered Member

Some good protection doesnt have to cost alot, be heavy, or slow you down.:rolleyes:

19. lodore

lodore Registered Member

thats why i use kaspersky and some people use nod32
    oh woops sorry you meant antivir suite:D
    lodore

20. farmerlee

farmerlee Registered Member

AVG is great for the resource deprived computers. The latest avg 7.5 is super light with good detection.

21. lodore

lodore Registered Member

but nod32+boclean is a killer setup!
    i have seen this setup quite alot and since you use boclean already adding nod32 to the mix if you dont mind paying would be perfect.
    but for free avast or avg 7.5
    lodore

22. trjam

trjam Registered Member

But my crystal ball says you may not even need that added layer for Nod before to long. But hey, its just a crystal ball.:rolleyes:

23. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

i dont think you need the added layer when your av says it scans adware/spyware/rootkits etc etc.

sure you may find a REALLLLLLLY good AS program, but then again... nod32 isnt the best detection in viruses either, and nobody complains about that.

i think if your AV scans for everything, no need for anything else, have some trust in your AV.

24. trjam

trjam Registered Member

I agree. I expect my AV to do everything, or it needs improvement.

25. lodore

lodore Registered Member

my av does what i want it to.
    @chris you like your av the dr because it protects you even thou you not a safe surfer:D
    dr web says it scans for tons of stuff.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.