Feds Shutter Megaupload, Arrest Executives

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by Dermot7, Jan 19, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wat0114

wat0114 Guest

Ha-Ha :D I'm pretty sure I can trust my few MB's of humdrum data to the U.S.

*Edit* removed a sycophantic looking comment :)

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 19, 2012
  2. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

Where can I get the press release that may have been here: -http://www.justice.gov/opa/pr/2012/January/12-crm-074.html&hl=en&strip=1- o_O

3. elapsed

elapsed Registered Member

If this thread is an indicator of anything, it's that it doesn't matter where you put your data, it's always in U.S. hands. But yeah, I meant for general hosting, I don't put anything I wouldn't want others to see "on the cloud".

4. wat0114

wat0114 Guest

Wise approach :thumb:

5. m00nbl00d

m00nbl00d Registered Member

Well, I was being sarcastic, precisely because of what happened. :D

6. mirimir

mirimir Registered Member

What cloud storage sites are safe from US attack?

7. m00nbl00d

Excluding an attack, perhaps Venezuela? Chavez doesn't like the U.S, right? :D

8. wat0114

wat0114 Guest

You sarcastic!!?? Can't be! :D :p

Seriously, though, as noone alluded too earlier, the cloud at the very least can't only be depended on for storage. Private physical storage is a must as well. The few files I lost on MU were no big deal because it's backed up on my own storage anyway. I would also never store private and sensitive data in the cloud.

9. m00nbl00d

Indeed. If I could afford, I'd have my own private "cloud" storage, always maintaining it with new hardware, to keep it in top shape. I can't be this picky, though. lol

10. mirimir

How about a Tahoe-LAFS grid?

11. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

12. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

13. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

According to this eWeek.com Article, it was down earlier:

14. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

From the DOJ link: "generating more than $175 million in criminal proceeds and causing more than half a billion dollars in harm to copyright owners"

There are two parts to this. The "criminal proceeds" and the "harm" so I feel a bit ambivalent. I don't like the first part and don't very much feel bad about the second part.

15. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

And what about this "The indictment alleges that the site was structured to discourage the vast majority of its users from using Megaupload for long-term or personal storage by automatically deleting content that was not regularly downloaded." o_O

People here said they've been storing stuff there. So did they face deletion of their stored stuff?

16. zfactor

zfactor Registered Member

and each time someone new will start up... it will end up being a back and forth battle...

17. AlexC

AlexC Registered Member

Megaupload is back - -http://109.236.83.66/-

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 20, 2012
  18. Noob

Noob Registered Member

This is getting way beyond control :eek:
    Why don't they just take down the whole internet then if it's just a source of piracy. (Same counter productive action taken with MU)

19. mirimir

That's -http://megavideo.bz/

Edit: I'm just resolving the IP address that AlexC posted.

Google isn't reporting it as a phishing site, now.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2012
  20. zfactor

zfactor Registered Member

be very careful... some of these so called new mega sites are phishing sites and also being used as a opening for anon to use unknowing people to run ddos attacks. "Anonymous members are distributing a link that ropes internet users into an illegal DDoS attack against these websites simply by clicking it. The link is being shared widely on Twitter and in Anonymous chat rooms, often with no context except that it relates to Operation Megaload. I clicked it a few minutes ago because it was being spammed in an Anonymous chatroom and found myself instantly DDoSing Universalmusic.com, my computer rapidly pinging the page with no way to stop except quickly closing the window."

edit in full:

The hacktivist collective Anonymous is in the middle of a huge revenge spree after the Feds shut down popular filesharing site Megaupload today. But they're using an evil new tactic that tricks people into helping their attack if they click an innocuous link.

The Department of Justice, MPAA and Universal Music websites have all been taken down in the past hour as part of Operation Megaupload, which is shaping up to be the biggest Anonymous campaign in months.

Here's one reason they've been able to muster so much firepower: Anonymous members are distributing a link that ropes internet users into an illegal DDoS attack against these websites simply by clicking it. The link is being shared widely on Twitter and in Anonymous chat rooms, often with no context except that it relates to Operation Megaload. I clicked it a few minutes ago because it was being spammed in an Anonymous chatroom and found myself instantly DDoSing Universalmusic.com, my computer rapidly pinging the page with no way to stop except quickly closing the window.

The link is a page on the anonymous web hosting site pastehtml. It link loads a web-based version of the program Anonymous has used for years to DDoS websites: Low Orbit Ion Cannon. (LOIC). When activated, LOIC rapidly reloads a target website, and if enough users point LOIC at a site at once, it can crash from the traffic. Judging from a Twitter search, the link is being shared at a rate of about 4 times a minute, mostly by Spanish-speaking users, for some reason. (Here's a link to the Twitter search, just don't click the PasteHTML link.)

The thing is, DDoSing is a criminal offense that could earn you 10 years in prison, if you do it intentionally. With previous versions of LOIC, participants had to acknowledge this risk and press a button labeled "fire." But now, it appears some enterprising anonymous member has retooled it so that it automatically fires if you click an unassuming link and leave a window open.

This is completely evil and could lead to huge numbers of witless internet users inadvertently attacking, say, the Department of Justice by clicking a random link they stumble across on Twitter. It also renders today's attacks largely meaningless. Anonymous' previous attacks had what political power they had because they were acts of conscious protest; participants knew what they were getting into. This recent round seems to be not much better than a Facebook worm. The safest thing now would be to avoid clicking anything to do with operation megaupload or Anonymous—especially if it's a mysterious Pastehtml link.

21. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

22. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

This is supposed to be a link to the full indictment: -http://www.scribd.com/doc/78786408/Mega-Indictment-
    Source
    Not looking too good and it's going to be difficult to sympathize with those charged if they've managed to enrich themselves by "sharing". Sort of knocks the bottom out of any claims to altruism.

23. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

The indictment (or what is claimed to be the indictment) claims that "Only premium users have a realistic chance of having any private long-term storage".

24. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

And it's nice to read that Google AdSense cut ties with them way back in May 2007 after
    Were Google still associated with these guys, I could imagine the usual suspects dining on that ;)

25. noone_particular

noone_particular Registered Member

Participating in a denial of service attack is illegal but shutting down a site and denying people the service when an entertainment industry hired gun screams piracy is just fine. Sickening double standard.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.