Fedora 17 Beefy Miracle Xfce review - Underwhelming

Discussion in 'all things UNIX' started by Mrkvonic, Jun 18, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Dedoimedo does Fedora: a long review of Fedora 17 Beefy Miracle 64-bit with Xfce desktop tested on T61 with SSD, covering live session, installation in a quadruple-boot configuration and post-install usage, including look & feel, Wireless, no Samba sharing, user account import, applications, Web camera, package management, multimedia - Flash and MP3 playback, with the help of the third-party application Autoplus, stability, crashes, SELinux alerts, suspend & resume, system resources, performance, annoyances like installer sudden reboot, visual branding and glitches, boot splash, login and logout theme and graphics inconsistencies, menu categories, bootchart problems, and more. Enjoy.

http://www.dedoimedo.com/computers/fedora-17-xfce.html

Cheers,
    Mrk

2. guest

guest Guest

So... Fedora 17 sucks. \:

Going from your reviews, Linux Mint and Xubuntu are the top distros at the moment, right?

3. Baserk

Baserk Registered Member

Thanks for testing.
    The gnome version also comes up with an error before the grub screen, about a truetype font missing. Grub then loads fine but it's a lousy greeting.
    SElinux got all informative...when playing flac files in my case.
    Fedora package management works fine and tbh I don't mind missing out on one-sentence user reviews as in Mint.
    It was fun to try but I'm back to Mint13.
    Thanks again Mrk.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2012
  4. funkydude

funkydude Registered Member

The two I use? Funny that!

5. guest

guest Guest

Weren't you using OpenSuse?

BTW, I just saw your bug reports in the IE 10 beta program, lol.

6. funkydude

funkydude Registered Member

No, that was months ago and lasted a week before I got fed up and went back to mint.

Mmm, they are virtually useless because it feels like calling up a call centre - you have to get through the gauntlet of idiots closing your tickets to get to the important people.

7. x942

x942 Guest

Thanks for the review! I am happily using Fedora 17 myself as I like how it is more secure out of the box than linux mint/ Ubuntu (I don't have to harden it as much as most of that is done for me). Most of my work is done in a VM so maybe thats why it doesn't bother me as much.

8. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

At the moment, Mint, Ubuntu, Xubuntu when it comes to spring releases.
    I still think CentOS should be considered seriously as a first-class os.
    Mrk

9. mack_guy911

mack_guy911 Registered Member

i used to be fedora fan left fedora after fedora 14 i didnt check this distro so cannot comment but this one is very intersting for fedora fans

https://kororaa.org/news/

fedora + cinnamon like to try it one day

nice review again on fedora xfce

good distro but nothing so special agree on that part :D

my favroite distro

1 centos/scientific linux

2. linux mint + cinnamon

3. rosalab/mandriva /opensuse

4. chakra/kubuntu

10. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

I used to like Fedora, but left it some time ago also.. I am pretty much hooked on Linux Mint 13 Cinnamon these days... hard to beat.

11. Fox Mulder

Fox Mulder Registered Member

I installed Fedora 17 x64 on my laptop recently, but promptly switched out Gnome for Cinnamon. It's a very solid OS.

When I get some more spare time, I think I'm going to switch to Openbox. Yeah, I need to crunchify this...

12. jaison

jaison Registered Member

Pretty good review.

HAHA I had a hard time breathing too when i saw all my disks on the desktop.

I've always liked Fedora. It doesnt require me to be a GNU/Linux genious, but at the same time it doesnt treat me like a moron with no knowledge like Ubuntu for example. Which is the exact reason why i put Ubuntu on my moms box.

This is my first time using Xfce though because i wasnt digging the Gnome 3 look and feel and I never cared for KDE. I really don't have much beef(no pun intended) with it. Only bug I ran into and after some research can be found here. I really wish the default interface looked nicer and less generic.

Needless to say, but I'm officially done with Windows at home. With the help of Crossover and I dont think I'll ever go back. I just have to get my World of Warcraft on!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.