feature list comparison with RollBack Rx

Discussion in 'FirstDefense-ISR Forum' started by besonen, Jun 19, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chris12923

Chris12923 Registered Member

Sorry to hear the news. Have you informed HDS support about the issue? If so I'm sure they would be interested in trying to fix it. It does seem for some users Rollback is having some issues. Looks like sales for FDISR will be increasing. Fortunately no problems yet for me. But believe me if/when they happen I'll post 'em here.

Thanks,

Chris

2. huntnyc

huntnyc Registered Member

Chris, thanks and I did let support know I have been having various problems. I do like the potential functionality fo the program but of course it must be coupled with rock solid reliability or for now, those of us who have had problems cannot depend on it. However, hope they will fix these and can go back to it in future. Will let you know if anything comes from this.

Gary

Last edited: Jun 29, 2007
  3. Chris12923

Chris12923 Registered Member

I appreciate that.

Thanks,

Chris

4. nexstar

nexstar Registered Member

Not been in this section before. I must get out more :).
    Drive Snapshot

I have just imaged a system drive which occupies 9GB of a 40GB drive before installing Rollback. It took 13 minutes and generated a 4.GB image. I then installed RB, made various changes and installations and imaged again using Drive Snapshot's RAW mode. This saved all 6 snapshots to a 4.88GB image and took 17 minutes to do it.

I then successfully restored this image (which took about 15 minutes) and not a single DOS command was issued in the whole process.

I'm not sure how this is 'bad' and 'ridiculous' as, from where I'm sitting, it seems pretty much ok :).

Graham

5. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

My system partition = 14.6 GB and a normal backup with ShadowProtect Desktop v2 took 5m34s.

I just replaced Acronis True Image with ShadowProtect, I have no good reasons to replace ShadowProtect with DriveSnapshot.
    I'm not going to spend any money on another Image Backup Software, just to get RollbackRx on my computer.

6. nexstar

nexstar Registered Member

Sorry Erik, I thought you were asking a question in your post #81. I also wanted to re-dress the the balance slightly for any users that may have gotten the impression that raw imaging of Rollback partitions is not workable, when it clearly can be, without being onerous.

I certainly wouldn't dream of suggesting that you spend money on any other software or that whatever strategy you use is wrong in any way. We all have different methods of cracking the same nut, which is what makes the exchange of ideas and experiences around here interesting :).

Graham

7. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

Erik, just curious, as long as a person has the drive space, why not have both ATI and SP on the system "just to play it safe"? That is what I am contemplating, but then again, drive space is not an issue for me.

Acadia

8. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

I'll answer that myself, since I have both programs. Honestly I just don't feel the need to have anything more than SP to feel perfectly safe. Some of the stuff I've done with it, and just the high number of restores, I feel perfectly safe. I test restore each image, and haven't had a failure yet.

Pete

9. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

Peter, its just that I already have Acronis so why get rid if it (LAYERS!) Just that I also want a program PROVEN with working with FD. Thanks.

Acadia

10. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Acronis works with FDISR. All I ever did with it was full disk images and restores. It always worked. Just it is a little flaky around the edges, and I just have a higher confidence level in SP.

Pete

11. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

I had Acronis True Image and ShadowProtect together on my off-line snapshot, but they don't like eachother.
    When both were installed and I did a backup with ShadowProtect, suddenly my computer rebooted during the backup and I could start all over again and this happened regularly.
    After uninstalling Acronis True Image, ShadowProtect never rebooted during a backup again and worked fine until today.

There was also another problem : new hardware. When I restored with Acronis True Image or with ShadowProtect, WinXPproSP2 started display messages about new hardware and I had to reboot my computer.

Maybe I wouldn't have these problems if I have done these backups/restorations with the Recovery CD of both softwares, but I prefer to do my backups via Windows, because all these Recovery CD's are sooo slow.
    I only need the SP Recovery CD to restore my system partition and nothing else. All the rest can be done with ShadowProtect under Windows.

So I don't think it's a good idea to have more than one Image Backup software on your computer.

Besides ShadowProtect seems to be very reliable and 3 times faster than Acronis True Image (without BartPE) and I still have FirstDefense-ISR as second backup for my system partition and I also have several full backups of each partition, in case one fails. :)

Last edited: Jul 5, 2007
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.