feature list comparison with RollBack Rx

Discussion in 'FirstDefense-ISR Forum' started by besonen, Jun 19, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. silver0066

silver0066 Registered Member

No. It happened when Rollback performed a chkdsk on it's own without any intervention by me.

2. silver0066

You admit that: (Im not sure)

It appears that you have not even tried FD-ISR. I think that it is good that you are not posting in this thread anymore. You have been scolding people who have posted some of their experiences with Rollback. These postings are beneficial to others in this forum and you should remain silent about things you don't know about.

It takes only a few minutes to create or restore a FD-ISR archive vs. up to a half hour or more for Rollback v8 to create an archive plus about as long to restore it.

3. silver0066

Hi Pete,

I don't think that it has anything to do with RAID. The chkdsk problem happened to me on both Raid 0 systems and non Raid systems. I have been using v7 for over a month with no problems, however, I have FD-ISR and ATI in case it does. I keep it on my system as I really like the quick snapshots as I do alot of testing. Since the chkdsk problem happens infrequently and with FD-ISR and ATI, I can be back up and running in less than 10 minutes.

Silver

4. TonyW

TonyW Registered Member

That's not a fair statement to make as it's obvious his experiences are different to others who have posted here. It's like with any software, and when you look around at the many forums here, there are people who are happily using product X while others have problems with it. The old phrase "your mileage may differ" springs to mind.

The problem lies in the fact some people have had real trouble with RollBack even to the point of losing data, and, therefore, they don't trust using it for those reasons. By the same token, there are others who seemingly haven't come across this situation, but we shouldn't berate them for using the software if it works for them.

When I tested RollBack last year, I didn't lose any data, and when I uninstalled the program, I still had my data intact. I uninstalled RollBack because of the longer boot-up time on my system and the fact the systray icon didn't always show when Windows loaded up. However, there are many others who never experienced either of those problems, but it would be wrong and churlish of me to go around to try dissuade people from using the product because of what I considered to be an unacceptable boot-up sequence.

Everyone's system is different, and we all have different experiences with product X, Y and Z. Whatever works and behaves in an acceptable manner within the constraints of a person's particular setup is the way to go I think.

5. silver0066

I posted this because of his inaccurate postings regarding FD-ISR, not his postings regarding Rollback. Also, he has consistently scolded other posters regarding their experiences. All ideas and experiences are beneficial to all readers and it is not up to him to degrade postings made by anyone.

6. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

With which Image Backup softwares do pure RBRx-users a backup and restore of ALL RBRx-snapshots ?

7. TonyW

TonyW Registered Member

In the main, I think it is aimed primarily at the enterprise/business market, especially I.T. departments. Even Leapfrog's main page states:
    However, home users are able to use it if they study the manual carefully and understand how to operate the program.

8. Coolio10

Coolio10 Registered Member

I also believe that FD-ISR is aimed at business/IT because how many people actually have the space to hold an image at the exact same size?

Not Me thats for sure. A average user has a size of 320GB max and an average of 250GB as that is how much computers from stores come at.

I have 153GB and i only have 61.1GB free. See what i mean? I couldn't even hold 1 image!

So it's not really depending on which application works better or has less bugs but which program will actually work as in be able to make atleast 1 or 2 images.

9. Longboard

Longboard Registered Member

:eek: :eek: wow. ?? What have you got there? Library of Congress??

10. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

I was wondering the same thing. I have a 640gig drive and only 22gig in use.

11. EASTER.2010

EASTER.2010 Guest

Rollback Rx versions 7.2.1 + 8.0 failed these for me. Plus that annoying ChkDisk and i almost forgot it sometimes mentions it needs to defrag which complicates matters further.

Advertising claims are one thing, actually performing up to those claims 100% of the time is completely another subject.

Irregardless, you are in no position to dispute my findings. I don't post complaints of serious program issues for the sake of using space.

You don't listen, what good is it anyway even if it does archive snapshots only to fudge them again via the main program bugs. That's lost time better spent for productive work and not troubleshooting and trying to recover a system of it's files/data.

I don't know how many times it takes to make you aware that Rollback Rx IS NOT fully functional yet. For some it might work fine for now, but it's only a matter of time before it malfunctions in some matter.

Simply put. It needs fixed and improved.

12. TonyW

TonyW Registered Member

At the other end of the scale, I have a 40GB drive with 15GB in use - all taken with 4 snapshots, but in reality if you take the snapshots away leaving the Primary, I have 3.8GB in use.

13. Chris12923

Chris12923 Registered Member

I haven't posted in about 16 posts and there's still a ping pong game going on as one user put it.

I see many questions that I have asked that went unanswered and a few new ones I hope can be answered as well. Let's review just a couple. If you guys can answer these you will help myself and the OP out.

1. Erik I never received the pm about all the endless possibilities that you mentioned earlier. I am very interested in these. Might even make me think about switching and would be a great benefit to the OP as well I assume with his original question if you cc the thread.

2. Silver please post where I scolded anyone in this topic. Also a post to my inacurate finding about FDISR if you would please.

3. Easter please post where I said I disputed your findings?

4. Bonus question: Where did I ever say Rollback is more stable then FDISR?
    5. Bonus #2 Where did I say Rollback was better than FDISR.

Hopefully these can be posted so I can correct myself if needed because if I said some of these things I will glady apologize. So please let me know I greatly appreciate it.

Thanks,

Chris

14. Peter2150

Okay folks.

Timeout needed. We need to stop all back and forth about people here and confine discussion to the topic at hand.

Pete

15. danny9

danny9 Departed Friend

Agree Peter2150
    Let me say that I use both, BootBack and EAZ-FIX, together with no problems.
    The other day my power went out.
    When it came on I turned my computer back on and as it was booting the power went out again.
    When it came back on I tried rebooting again.
    Got a screen that said files where bad in windows and I'd have to do a repair install.
    Because the last BootBack snapshot copy was from 12 hrs. ago and the EAZ was 2 hrs. prior, I rebooted with the EAZ snapshot.
    All I can say is Perfect.
    Put my system back the way it was.
    As far as the BootBack snapshot, please correct me if I'm wrong, because of the windows error, I trashed the baseline and redid with a new snapshot.
    I think they both have a purpose and both are good.
    For installing a new program, I think EAZ is the way to go.
    Quick snapshot, don't like it, restore to a second before it was downloaded.
    Because I've had no problems with either in any way, A thumbs up to both! :thumb: :cool:

16. lucas1985

lucas1985 Retired Moderator

You should use a UPS :)

17. danny9

danny9 Departed Friend

I do use good surge protectors.
    But thanks for the suggestion and the link.
    I will look into this.:D

18. ErikAlbert

The most important advantage of FirstDefense-ISR is that you can :
    1. backup and restore all your snapshots with most popular Image Backup softwares. Very Important !!!
    2. archive and restore each snapshot and update faster than any existing Image Backup software.
    Sorry, but I can't afford to lose my off-line and on-line snapshot, because they are too different and too much work to re-install them from scratch.

I really wonder how YOU do that with RollbackRx without losing any of your snapshots.
    If RollbackRx can't do that, I'm not even interested in the many more possibilities of RollbackRx and then the discussion of this thread is closed for me.

The combination of "FirstDefense-ISR + RollbackRx" is useless to me.

The combination of "FirstDefense-ISR + ShadowProtect" = total recovery solution.
    FirstDefense-ISR and ShadowProtect even cover eachother, except for Windows and FirstDefense-ISR itself.

Is "RollbackRx + ShadowProtect" = total recovery solution ? :)

19. lucas1985

lucas1985 Retired Moderator

You can backup all RollbackRx's snapshots if you use "raw mode" in your image backup software. Raw mode is slower and it generates bigger files than "normal mode".
    FD-ISR uses NTFS, so it's transparent to Windows and image apps, but snapshots are big. RollbackRx uses its own filesystem, so it isn't transparent to Windows and image apps, but snapshots are small.

20. ErikAlbert

Yes I've read this before and raw mode is a bad solution. That's a backup of my entire harddisk, including free space. That's ridiculous. :)

21. Chris12923

Chris12923 Registered Member

Erik I totally agree with you. Not being able to backup with regular backup software is a definate negative for me. As for the faster recoveries than imaging software, thats a plus as well. In those respects FDISR does have an advantage over Rollback. The way I run my system this is not such a high priority but I can see why it would be for many people. Although not the endless possibilities I was looking for I appreciate your post. Although sometimes we dont agree on the same software, it seems we look for the same thing. Programs that work for us.

Thanks,

Chris

22. TonyW

TonyW Registered Member

There are solutions to the backup situation. I've seen Peter recommend AJC Backup for example.

There is other software to backup important files on CD or elsewhere.

Before I heard of FD-ISR and stuff like imaging, I always backed up my important data anyway - that was one of the rules of computing I learnt way back in the early 90s. As long as I have those documents etc., everything else is secondary really.

23. Peter2150

The two I use are AJC's active backup, which saves files to your main drive, but it saves them every time you either save a file or exit the program. This allows easy recovery of previous versions of stuff.

The other is AJC's directory sync. I use this to get all the files that are data or program settings and sync them both to external drives and the other computer. This in essence is my data backup.

Something else I am doing is letting shadowprotect incrementally image my main business computer every 15 minutes. Again this is so I can get to the most recent data should something bad happen.

24. silver0066

Another one is Superflexible File Synchonizer.

www.superflexible.com

25. huntnyc

huntnyc Registered Member

removed Rollback version 8 today because after taking a scheduled snapshot after a normal restart, I got an error saying one of my Windows XP files was missing and I needed to use repair to fix it. Other snapshots worked but if any snapshot is unreliable, I just cannot trust it at this point of developement. These problems seem to happen after R?ollback does its defrag routine. Don';t mean to bash but just my recent experience. ShadowProtect imaging though has never let me down so far. Will deeply consider Bootback in future.

Gary

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.