feature list comparison with RollBack Rx

Discussion in 'FirstDefense-ISR Forum' started by besonen, Jun 19, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. danny9

danny9 Departed Friend

EASTER.2010,

You complimented another user for an excellent post.
    I think your last post should be given the same acknowledgement.
    Very informative and easily understood.
    Kudos. :)
    Dan

2. Chris12923

Chris12923 Registered Member

I think the titile of this thread is "feature list comparison with RollBack Rx" Not please give all your sales pitches for FDISR. I really could care less which one the OP chooses. They are both good products. I have never said otherwise. One just has more features and the current version and according to at least myself and peter have been stable to this point. I have never said otherwise. FDISR has had it's problems in the past as well and I even think peter2150 can vouch for that (KAV) I think it was. Correct me if I am wrong Peter. I'm sure there are other issues that it has had as well. Also Rollback version 8 can store full snapshots offline just like FDISR. Oh and please tell me easter and kennyboy what part of rollback 8 didn't you like? Did it crash on you? Did you not like it's tons of features. Have you even tried it? Also as far as not worrying about disk space heres two things you can try since everyone can afford more drives please read this post https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showpost.php?p=974675&postcount=16 . So besonen Sorry to go off topic but I had to respond since even according to easter he has not much knowledge in this area https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showpost.php?p=974931&postcount=29 . So please listen to people that have used and tested the products thouroughly before making your decision. Either one is a great purchase. I hope I have given you some feature list comparisons in my above post. Again if you have any questions again please feel free to ask.

EDIT: Removed remark about Kennyboy that at first I thought applied but after his post below did not. Sorry kennyboy. No bad intentions just trying to give inisght to the OP.

Thanks,

Chris

Last edited: Jun 22, 2007
  3. EASTER.2010

EASTER.2010 Guest

FYI that post in which you are trying so desparately to discredit my experience/intelligence with is dated if you bothered to check it out is on March 31st, 2007, 02:06 PM.
    That was 3 long months ago and a lot of information plus helpful discussion has been exchanged AND learned since then, including the differences between Rollback Rx & FD-ISR.

That my member is nothing more than picking for proverbial straws in a vain attempt to spar over your choice compared to mine.
    Besides Chris you are already aware yourself that the benefits and features found in FD-ISR eclipses anything Rollback Rx can offer in it's latest version, and i must stop right there because i'm in no way against it but rather am more encouraged than before that now with the merger of Leapfrog in partnership, i expect better results from Rollback Rx in the future than what is been experienced so far.

I hate to disappoint your loyal support of it, but like i also said earlier, if it works for you, great, but for my data it would have spelled disaster if i had not taken the liberty to test it first on a test machine of mine, in fact several hard drives.
    In retrospect, my confidence in FD-ISR was not so suspicious and upon the reviews i gathered right here made the decision to not install FD-ISR on a test bed, but straightway installed it into my production/work units without so much as a single hesitation.
    You might say i have an uncanny sixth sense about software programs which feeds on actual user reviews and their experiences.

4. danny9

danny9 Departed Friend

I agree, they are both good products.
    I have BootBack, switched from FD-ISR as soon as Raxco dumped it, and now have EAZ_FIX, pro v.8. Always liked the idea behind it.
    Still learning the ropes but I like it. They both have strong points, but EAZ is much easier to use for trying out new programs. No copying files back between snapshots.
    Take a snapshot, a couple of seconds, try the program, don't like?, reboot to that snapshot. That's it. In a few minutes your on your way.
    I like both programs and will keep both, learning the strong points in each and using accordingly.
    By the way, thanks for the info you provide about RollBack. Learned alot from it.:D
    Dan

5. Chris12923

I am not trying to spar. You started bashing Rollback in this post https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showpost.php?p=1028884&postcount=25 talking about Rollback having a medicore routine and the other stuff in same thread.

Umm..please post a link to where I said that the benefits and features found in FD-ISR eclipses anything Rollback Rx can offer in it's latest version. Yes a benefit of FDISR is that it stores full file snapshots...but Rollback has way way more features than FDISR and Rollback 8 can store full archive snapshots the same as FDISR. So not sure where you are getting your info about FDISR having more benefits and fetures but thats dead wrong. This is why I linked to your post earlier about your knowledge. Not to harm you but to let the OP not to take your statements to seriously.

So it crashed on you? If so you have a right to feel the way you do. Maybe you posted it somewhere and I missed it. If that's the case I totally understand your thinking on stability. But also programs do crash/not work sometime. For instance when I tried to beta test Power Shadow it BSOD on my system :( But I don't say it's a bad program.

I did the same with Rollback and never had an issue that I can recall that made me lose data. I have an issue now that I reported to them recently that they are working on. But i still lost no data. I think this poster has a lot of new reading :) Both are good eenee..meenee...minee...mo :)

Thanks,

Chris

6. EASTER.2010

EASTER.2010 Guest

It's very obvious in those replies that your thinking lies in only 2 dimensional context only so i'll spare this great forum and membership anymore of this needless & foolish ping-pong response back n' forth since even any reasonable reply or facts regarding benefits or limitations seem to only incite to generate more of the same useless babble above in some endless revolving cycle that does nothing whatsoever to encourage or benefit membership understanding here.

As for as bashing? ANY program that bashes your data and/or system irregardless of cause & affect is fair to be deemed unacceptable.
    Ask ErikAlbert.

Destroying data in any fashion is totally unacceptable and especially when unexpected. I don't read anywhere where FD-ISR warns against LOSING data/snapshots after simply changing snapshots let alone just running normally. Only if you abort during a Copy/Update and even then you simply redo over again. No data loss.

Can the same be said for your prize possession? Hardly.

And what about that ridiculous chkdsk issue?

You don't favor FD-ISR and that's your choice but not for the same reasons which i experienced resulting from bugs in the current Rollback Rx versions.

I think you have a lot to learn yourself. Plus it may even help you to discover for yourself how infinitely better FD-ISR is if you focused more on the importance of preserving WHOLE DATA and not just some arbitrary reference to a single snapshot.

Faster? Pfffftttt!!! Of course, because it's snapshots lack authentic files/folders.

7. kennyboy

kennyboy Registered Member

Errr........ Chris. Think you are getting a bit confused here.
    That post is about RETURNIL, NOT Rollback OR FDISR!!

Unless you are saying RETURNIL and Rollback are "THIS type of software."

In case it escaped your notice, Returnil is a VIRTUALISATION type of program and Rollback is a RECOVERY program. Not even close I am afraid!!

8. Chris12923

True. Although I think I have asked this question once maybe two times and you have yet to answer it. Did you lose data using Rollback?

Your right and again maybe I missed it and if I did I'm sorry but Did you lose data using Rollback?

I can say I have not lost any data that I can recall using Rollback

I probably missed the posts about chkdsk issue in Rollback 8. If you have a chance can you post the link so the OP and myslef can look at this issue please

I like FDISR but do not like it more than Rollback. Can you please post a link to the bugs you found in version 8 of Rollback. If you found some bugs in it I can again see why you prefer FDISR

I agree I have a lot to learn. Don't we all. That's why most of us are here. I do see the importance of keeping whole data snapshot. But if I have not lost any data with linked data snapshots of Rollback it's not to important to me. Especially when I can archive whole data snapshots from rollback to another disk. Again Did you lose data using Rollback?

True. Then again since I have not lost any data do I need authentic files/folders :)

Sorry I saw some questions regarding FDISR and imaging programs. So I was thinking this had relavence. My apologies. I'll try to edit it out of the above post.

Easter, you bring up many good points. Not sure why you keep saying I don't like FDISR because I do. I didn't say good or bad about it it my first post. I just listed facts. After reading our posts now the OP will either have an easy decision or a hard one but no matter he will make a good decision because both are good products. And the next version of both will be even better I can hope. Hope we didn't get to OT.

Thanks,

Chris

9. kennyboy

kennyboy Registered Member

No problem Chris. We are all here to try and help. Goodness knows, I have had a lot of help and guidance here.

Regards

Ken

10. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

I'm not interested in RollbackRx, not even in combination with FDISR.
    FDISR v3.20 and RollbackRx v8 and FDISR is still better than RollbackRx.
    How many versions will RBRx need to reach the level of FDISR ?
    I need permanent snapshots, not throw-away snapshots and when I backup my harddisk, I want it back as it was. I can't do that with RBRx or I would lose at least one of my two snapshots. That's unacceptable.

I don't need RBRx for testing softwares either. I test most softwares in my frozen snapshot and if one of these softwares corrupts FDISR, I restore an image that gives my two snapshots back.
    ShadowProtect does it almost 3 times faster than ATI, but SP cannot restore RBRx-snapshots completely, which is already proven.
    RBRx might be faster, but how long will it take to re-install one of my snapshots completely, because RBRx lost it.

Why 60,000 snapshots, if only ONE can be restored ? I don't see any logic here. 60,000 snapshots is nothing, I can create 200,000 archived snapshots with FDISR and more, but I will never do this, because I'm already lost with 5 snapshots. If I create one RBRx-snapshot per day, I have 60,000 snapshots at the age of 165, but I have to start when I'm 1 year old, so I need to be a wonderchild too. :)

11. nanana1

nanana1 Frequent Poster

Now that's the wonder of Rollback ;-)

12. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Easter, I agree with you in principle. I guess what makes me a bit unique is all I care about is preserving the current state of the machine. When I install or uninstall it is nice to be able to change that, but after a day or two, I don't care as much. Right at the moment, I have about 6 snapshot in Rollback, but if I wanted I could update the baseline and it wouldn't matter. Rollback is much quicker and easier to use, but in the back of my mind there is that little nagging question about reliability. It is nice to have current and available archives of all my FDISR snapshots. That way if easy to use breaks, reliable kicks in and does it's job.

I agree not for most folks, but it's been great for me. Point is it's doable, and combined with rock solid imaging is outstanding.

Pete

13. silver0066

silver0066 Registered Member

Chris,

Apparently you have not been following these forums. The "chkdsk" problem has been reported here and in other (Software and Services) forums at Wilders and at the Horizon Rollback forum many times with early versions of 7 and with the current V8. I am using both FD-ISR and Rollback v7 in the same manner as Pete.

I lost both partitions on my system drive due to chkdsk problems using Rollback v8. This happened on two of my computers. I switched back to V7 because it is more stable. I would not use Rollback without FD-ISR and a good imaging program because of this.

It just is not that stable and you should be aware of all of those posts before over-hyping Rollback. It is a good program because of the fast snapshots.....that's all.

It would be foolish to use it without a good imaging program because the "chkdsk" problem, which occurs very infrequently, trashes the whole system hard drive and all partitions on that drive.

The backup snapshot portion of V8 only backs up one snapshot and it does that very slowly as compared to other imaging programs.

I use it only for quick snapshots and I do like that part of it very much. However, I would never use it alone without other ways to protect my data.

Silver

14. chrome_sturmen

chrome_sturmen Registered Member

holy jeez- a rollback rx vs firstdefense isr showdown :p

15. TonyW

TonyW Registered Member

Who says you have to have a zillion snapshots? If I was to use RollBack Rx again as I have once before, I'd probably still have the same number of snapshots as I do for FD-ISR now.

At the end of the day, it is how one uses either product that counts. To quote Peter:

16. TonyW

TonyW Registered Member

It's also worth noting not everyone has multiple partitions on their system. I don't, for example.

17. EASTER.2010

EASTER.2010 Guest

Indeed Chris, data was completely destroyed.
    That is the underlying basis behind my total mistrust in it, and not just on one system, but i installed it to a small group of drives and it returned the same results. Perhaps that ChkDsk issue was behind it, who is to say with any certainty. What is certain is that i'm not the only one who is lost partitions with it. There is definitely been a bug in it.

If you can't rely on a program to preserve/return your data 100% of the time then theres a lot of complaint that is completely justified against it IMO.

But let's not pick at the issues of Rollback Rx here even though they DO still exist as evident by many others and not just myself.

What is more important then focusing on the issues everyone is already aware of, and which will be to BOTH supporters mutual advantage is that "NOW" Leapfrog and Rollback developers have reached a concensus to team up together.

So we can now expect much better satisfaction and positive results.

18. EASTER.2010

EASTER.2010 Guest

Your reply is some food for thought and is help me re-evaluate the process of routinely using an imaging program (mine's PARAGON).

I always considered that a restored image should not have to be repeatedly relied on as a routine method to correct problems when some program or system failure makes for a serious interruption or worse, BUT, innovation and technology is propelling this usefullness beyond what used to be considered only emergency recovery.

To rethink this procedure (at least for me), is prudent and good sense now that imaging programs have advanced to a point where FULL restores can be successfully performed in much less time than before, so with that in mind, we can depend on it almost in the same manner as a rollback recovery app i suppose.

19. TonyW

TonyW Registered Member

It'll be interesting to see what happens, but I get the impression the people behind RollBack are only acting as resellers, but will provide some support in much the same way Raxco/Software Pursuits have done.

20. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

For sure. Sometimes when my choice is restore image or restore fdisr archive, I'll just restore the image. It is almost as easy.

21. EASTER.2010

EASTER.2010 Guest

OK, here is one of mine. Rollback Rx prides itself on the feature to create multiple, nearly unlimited snapshots, but only from a single reference point though, and that suits many just fine.

One of my wish list for upcoming FD-ISR versions would be to increase the amount of snapshots to umm, maybe 20? 30? whereas of course as always a disc would need ample space to support the additions.

But i would like to see more than 10 snapshots as default. I manage a workaround for the 10 snap limit by archiving some of them, then also either copying some to alternative media and deleting the snaps in favor of creating new ones again within the 10 limit range of course. So in essence i have more than 10 snapshots, just that some of them are out of the $ISR directory.

As far as Rollback Rx.
    Fix, fix, fix the bug with the ChkDsk problem and establish at least 3 FULL baseline snapshots from which to revert back to, or to change via archives the baseline snapshots.

Is anyone listening? :rolleyes:

@Chris Courtesy Horizon DataSys Inc.

22. danny9

danny9 Departed Friend

Easter, you mentioned this:

"As far as Rollback Rx.
    Fix, fix, fix the bug with the ChkDsk problem and establish at least 3 FULL baseline snapshots from which to revert back to, or to change via archives the baseline snapshots.

Is anyone listening? "

I'm by no means as knowledgeable as some of you in the area of these type programs but I am using them and trying to learn them better.
    You said Rollback should have the capability to make at least 3 baseline snapshots.
    I don't see the need at this time.
    After changing my system around with new programs etc., and of course if I'm satisfied, I just take a new snapshot and make that the new baseline.
    Keeps it current that way.
    If I am wrong on this, please let me know.
    By the way, I'm using BootBack and EAZ-FIX pro, v.8
    Dan :cool:

23. EASTER.2010

EASTER.2010 Guest

Well danny9, that is just my own wish list for Rollback because one baseline for me would not be enough in case the baseline itself became unreachable for Rollback.

I understand though that with Rollback we can fashion the active system in any way with new programs etc. and like you say make that one the baseline, but i would prefer more than one baseline JUST IN CASE that baseline became corrupted. That stems from problems i already experienced with Rollback not being able at one point of doing anything but Uninstall, meaning it couldn't even get back to the baseline. That was the worse issue i experienced and one that gave rise to my doubts over this app. The other times i was able to revert back to another snapshot but i don't want to have to be confronted with that unexpected again. :( I did nothing at all to encourage Rollback to not boot on a simple restart, i mean i had installed no new programs before this occured.

I did at another drive defrag which also caused a problem but Peter2150 confirmed why that happened and it was a bug/issue.

All in all, with FD-ISR i don't need Rollback Rx or any problems booting normally.
    I have not experienced a single glitch with FD-ISR aside from once i done something that knocked the FD Manager out of the taskbar and so i just simply uninstalled and reinstalled again with ease and everything proceeds as usual to this day.

24. TonyW

TonyW Registered Member

If I was to use RollBack Rx again, I'd probably have a Current snapshot, a Rollback snapshot and possibly a Test snapshot. Once satisfied with the system, I'd make new Current and Rollback snapshots then delete the previous two. The Current would be the one I'd always be in. Obviously I'd have the option to test things out in Test or any other snapshot I'd create.

The baseline I'd consider to be a fresh start, a point in time I'd go back to, kinda like starting back at the beginning if need be.

Wait a minute - this sounds a bit like how I manage FD-ISR anyway. LOL (I have 4 snapshots in FD-ISR - Fresh OS Install, Main, Rollback and Test.)

25. danny9

danny9 Departed Friend

To Easter and TonyW.
    Points well made.
    Thanks, Dan :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.