FDISR won't freeze after COMODO update

Discussion in 'FirstDefense-ISR Forum' started by divedog, Jan 23, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. divedog

divedog Registered Member

Just an FYI, I updated COMODO last night to the latest version and shortly after that tried to freeze my surfing snapshot and received errors in the log. I tried deleting the freeze snapshot and recreating it, same thing errors. I then used an old snapshot to revert back before the update and now all is well except I won't be able to update my firewall. Anyone else runing COMODO having this problem?

2. kennyboy

kennyboy Registered Member

Can you try disabling "Protect Own Registry Keys" under ADVANCED>MISCELLANEOUS in Comodo. I had errors when copying too, but this did it for me. Absolute pain, so am looking for new firewall now. FDR versus Comodo......no contest.

3. divedog

divedog Registered Member

Yes I think it's time for a new firewall. Too bad I was starting to like Comodo. Anyone have any suggestions? I like application based FW, they are simple to set up and use and I can make some sense of the info they give me.

4. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

The Online Armor Firewall is still in beta, but is looking awesome. In the interim you might give the free Ghostwall a look

5. Horus37

Horus37 Registered Member

I'm having problems getting comodo to freeze properly also. I disable everything that I can in that program and even still it changes during bootup inside a frozen snapshot. SO it doesn't really stay frozen. I like the program but it sure doesn't like to get frozen.

6. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

Each time there is a software causing problems with FDISR, it's a security software.

My firewall Look'n'Stop doesn't work properly either with freezing.
    After re-freezing it doesn't remember the new authorizations for access the internet.
    I also noticed that there was sometimes a difference in results with "re-freeze" and "unfreeze and freeze", but I have no time to figure it out what exactly the reason is.

7. aigle

aigle Registered Member

So frezing in FDISR is still not so good!

8. ErikAlbert

I think a frozen snapshot undoes all changes, so that works, but the re-freezing doesn't work like I expected.
    It seems to me that not everything is stored in the "Freeze Storage.ARX", when you re-freeze, especially for security softwares.
    There is something wrong, but I don't know exactly what and I'm not in the mood to figure it out.
    Maybe it isn't FDISR, but the security software itself.

9. Horus37

Horus37 Registered Member

I find that I have to totally shut off every single thing in comodo and avast for it to freeze properly. I haven't tried to refreeze. I just unfreeze, update programs as needed, defrag from 1st image, log off, restart, then boot to snapshot i want to freeze then freeze.

10. ErikAlbert

That is probably the only way to make it right. I did this also, except the defragging part, which isn't really necessary.

But it should also work with re-freezing. Each time you freeze or re-freeze, the file "Freeze Storage.ARX" should be equal to the frozen snapshot, because freezing or re-freezing includes also an updating of the "Freeze Storage.ARX"; which is confirmed by this quote from the "FirstDefense-ISR Help".
    Re-freezing is alot shorter, than the method you described.
    Your method is good, because I did it myself but re-freezing has to work also and that is not the case. That's my point.

Keep also in mind that each time you re-freeze a frozen snapshot, no matter what method you use, that also possible malware infections can be frozen in the snapshot. Re-freezing makes the original frozen snapshot vulnerable, but you can't avoid this, because security softwares need their updatings otherwise they become useless.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2007
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.