FDISR users-- few Qs

Discussion in 'FirstDefense-ISR Forum' started by aigle, Sep 23, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. aigle

aigle Registered Member

I installed FD-ISR trial yesterday, now I have some Qs to ask.

1- When I click on systry icon, I receive the message shown below( "u have not rebooted ur system after installing FD-ISR") and just after that the main FDISR console opens. The same thing happens if I open FDISR from start> programmes. Is this some error on my system, or something usuall( unlikely I think) or something related to trial version only.

2- I use RollbackRx( EAZ-FIX) and in RollBackRx there is an option to create a virtual drive of any snapshot, then u can explore that snapshot and can recover any selective files without rebooting into that snapshot. I don,t find such an option in FDISR or may be i missed something!

3- On my system I did not notice any sifnificant time difference in taking a new snapshot and updating an existing snapshot, just a difference of few minutes may be. Is it true?

Thanks.

Attached Files:

• 1.jpg
      1.jpg
      File size:
      15.2 KB
      Views:
  2. aigle

aigle Registered Member

On clicking about, it shows FDISR XP server. I remember I downloaded Home user version. Is this home version or I have downloaded wrong version?
    What are the limitations of home version as compared to server edition?

Thanks.

Attached Files:

• 2.jpg
      2.jpg
      File size:
      22.9 KB
      Views:
  3. wilbertnl

wilbertnl Registered Member

Although a little bit different, I think that the anchored data feature would be the option to use.

4. aigle

aigle Registered Member

As far as I understand anchored data remains uncahnged in all images, so how u can i use it for this purpose?

5. wilbertnl

I'm not sure if I understand you correctly.
    In anchored data, there is only one version of a file.
    When you edit a document in anchored data, and you boot into another snapshot, you will find the updated document available.
    There is not such a thing as different versions per snapshot in anchored data, if that is what you are looking for.
    And if you want to copy one document to another snapshot (not anchored), you need tricks like copying that file to an independent location, boot to different snapshot and pick the file from that independent location.

6. sukarof

sukarof Registered Member

I dont know really what difference is, but it looks to me that you have the wrong version (server). I belive most of us here at wilders have the home version (or Pro with the leapfrog one)

If you did reboot after installing and still get that warning, it is strange. But maybe it has something to do with you using the server version? I hear that Raxco has excellent support, maybe they can be more specific, coz I have never used the server version.

It takes 12 minutes to create a 3 gig snapshot for me, and updating it usually takes 1-2 minutes.

7. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Thanks, I think I must re-download home version.
    BTW, it,s a lot of confusion about which version? leapfrog or Roaxco? and I am confused.

8. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Hi Aigle

There is nothing in FDISR comparable to the browse of Rollback. That is both good an bad. That was indeed a handy feature in Rollback. But the isolation is also good for protection. If it's hard for you to reach across snapshot, so it is also for nasties to do so. Best option is as suggested, move files to another drive.

I've had a system go non bootable, but been able to retrieve something needed in safe mode and move a file to another drive.

The ability to reach into a corrupt snapshot and retrieve files is a very big plus for Rollback/eaz-fix

Pete

9. aigle

aigle Registered Member

This booting is not comfortable. In RollbackRx I can get any file from any image without actually booting into that image.
    It,s a pitty that FDISR lacks that feature.

10. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Hi, just another Q, where does these snapshots are actually present on C partition. I don,t see them. Are they accessable out of FDISR console or not?

Thanks.

11. sukarof

Leapfrog are those who made the program and they licence it to Raxco and Bootback (and I belive there is a third vendor but I cant remember the name). Leapfrog does not sell the program to private customers.

They are on your C: drive but hidden from the windows filemanager. I think you have to enable explorer to show hidden files or something (I use Totalcommander)

12. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

13. aigle

aigle Registered Member

I made hidden files visible but found nothing.

14. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Hi Peter if u can actually access these snapshots as sukarof posted, I wonder why a malware can,t?
    In case of RollbackRx the snapshots can,t be accessed. I remember some testing with KillDisk virus that can,t harm the system with RollBackRx. I wonder what will be results with a similar malware on a system protected by FDISR?

Any ideas?
    Thanks.

15. aigle

aigle Registered Member

I registered and tried again. My download manager is getting again exactly the same file.
    It,s strange.

16. sukarof

tbh I am no expert at windows file manager, coz I never use it so I cant explain why you dont see them. But here is a pic from Totalcommander showing the hidden maps:

Attached Files:

17. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Thanks.
    BTW Any FDISR user can post how to see them with windows explorer?

18. LokiLoki

LokiLoki Guest

Try untick hide system files.

19. cthorpe

cthorpe Registered Member

The trial is the Server edition. There is no Home edition trial. I confirmed that with a Raxco rep back when I was trying it out.

C

20. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

In Windows Explorer, I have these subfolders under the folder "C:\$ISR"

$APP = accessible
    $LOGS = accessible
    $MBR = accessible
    0 = access is denied
    1 = access is denied
    2 = access is denied
    3 = access is denied
    4 = access is denied
    5 = access is denied
    A = access is denied
    and two files, I can't open
    $ISR
    $OPT

And I have 6 snapshots at this moment, most probably numbered from 0 to 5 (0 to 9 = max. 10 snapshots).
    Not really exciting info. LOL.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2006
  21. Peter2150

Aigle. You are trying to make FDISR into Rollback. It isn't. The whole point is for you not to see them. If you want to see the state of that snapshot, boot to it. That is the way FDISR is supposed to work.

A way around that is take an image you can explore. I suspect then you can see them.

Pete

PS. Just tried that with an IFD image, and yes I can see them that way.

22. Peter2150

I don't believe that will work. At least it doesn't for me. If you ever try and delete a snapshot manually, you will get a whole new education in permissions and ownership.

23. wilbertnl

That is so right.
    All software have advantages and disadvantages, you pick what fits you best and live with it's characteristics.

24. aigle

aigle Registered Member

No, I am not making it like RollBack but just wanted to know whether u can do this and that or not?

25. Peter2150

Okay, in that case the answer is simple. You can not explorer across snapshots.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.