fdisr rescue sandboxing question

Discussion in 'FirstDefense-ISR Forum' started by Tony, May 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Yes, my PC is clean. I try to get malware but fail. I challenhe my friends to plugin their infected USB flash sticks and then I catch the malware, tie it with ropes( passworded in 7-zip) and place in a jail on my non-OS partition.

The thing u do with FDISR is very easy to achieve with Eaz-Fix. U schedule it to load same snapshot at each boot and that,s it. Same as frozen snapshot. But I never used it and don,t need it.

My PC is as clean as urs. U will not find anything by any scanner even on online working snapshot, without frozen technique. And i don,t use any scanner, any reg cleaner etc etc( except CCleaner and that,s also not a must).

2. aigle

aigle Registered Member

What you wil get by that? Are u really doing it? If not, there is no point.
    Wat u get by this. My system is as fast without all this fuss. To be honest, I never felt any significant difference after defrag even when I had no Eaz-Fix. And I remember u have accepted it already here. What,s the point then?
    All snapshots of Eaz-Fix are like archives( intact and non-modifiable) , only they are not independent.
    Don,t tel me that u are doing it. I don,t need such a mess.

3. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

I can't verify this, unless I have your computer. That doesn't mean I don't believe you, but there is no comparison possible either. If you can keep a snapshot in its "unused" state, than you have the same as me.

I'm not doing this, but other users did it to get familiar with winVISTA or for other reasons.
    Never judge a software based on personal needs. If you don't need it, does that mean the whole world doesn't need it ?
    I always want to know what possibilities I have and how far I can go with an ISR-software and it doesn't matter if I need it or not. Somewhere in the world, there are always users, who need one or more possibilities of FDISR, which I never use in practice.

That's how I found out that Returnil can't handle reboot-softwares and I consider this as a serious shortcoming. It also means that I have to solve this problem BEFORE I start using Returnil and most probably I will need an EXTRA software to test softwares with or without reboot, like VMware or something else.
    Instead of using ONE software, I will need TWO softwares to get the same possibilities of FDISR. I wouldn't like this.

Again this is a based on a personal evaluation. I don't see any improvement either after defragging, just like you.
    But I would like to know which defragger or which configuration of defragger is the best to defrag my harddisk, so I can feel at least some improvement.
    I'm not convinced that PerfectDisk is the best defragger for me, but it's not a priority either. One day defraggers will be superfluous because of sensational hardware improvements and payable for the little man.

I don't agree here at all : snapshots are on your actual harddisk and everything what is online is vulnerable.
    Archives are usually stored on an external harddisk to keep them safe and in case of FDISR they are as good as IMAGES.
    I can restore any OLD image and archives will always put that image back in an updated state. I even wonder if you can do this with RB/EF.

Here you are absolutely right, who needs 600,000 archived snapshots ? NOBODY. I just wanted to tease you. :D
    After reading the features of RB/EF, I asked myself, who needs even 30,000 or 60,000 snapshots ?
    Do you know how much time it takes to create 60,000 snapshots ?
    One snapshot a day = 365 snapshots a year. 60000/365 = 164+ years.
    Even when you create 3 snapshots a day, you still need 54+ years to create them.

4. aigle

aigle Registered Member

All snapshots of Eaz-Fix are in frozen state, no change.
    It,s basically not the job of an ISR software.

I jsut wonder when people claim that their PC is fast after defragging with a specific utility or after reg cleaning or erasing free space etc. I never found these claims true atleast in my own experience. I might be convinced if there are any reliable benchmarks.

There is a possibility I don,t deny but practically they are reliable I think. Depends upon paranoia. :)

5. ErikAlbert

The fact that each snapshot has an OS makes them independent, no matter what happens to the other snapshots.
    The possibility of using different OS was a logical result of further thinking, it wasn't a must, it was just possible.

In RB/EF you bet on one card, your baseline snapshot, if something goes wrong there all your dependent snapshots will suffer as well. :)

Do you use an Image Backup to backup all your 10 snapshots ?

Last edited: May 28, 2008
  6. Huupi

Huupi Registered Member

WITHOUT imaging stuff,FDISR makes up for a fine bare metal recovery as explained in my earlier post. It takes more time as compared to putting back an image,but i have done it without hiccups. :thumb:

7. ErikAlbert

Yes in this case imaging wasn't necessary, because the PC already had an installed OS.
    Nevertheless, it proves how powerful and reliable copy/update and archives are.

8. aigle

aigle Registered Member

No, I don,t. However I took an image of base line clean system before installing Eaz-Fix. I have separated data n OS partitions as well.

Attached Files:

9. ErikAlbert

Thanks for the nice screenshot. To me, it would be quite a big change to work with EF and all these point-in-time snapshots and getting used to this baseline snapshot. A total different way of working. :)

10. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Working snapshot is the main one. I use others rarely, just to try malware against different software.

11. demoneye

demoneye Registered Member

LO AIGLE

i will past here my post from some days back about how EF/RB are realy not much assimilate easy on a working PC and u need to preper it for EF use

read on.
    taken from here >> https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=210509

thats goes for u DVD+R( and for aigle now 2 lol)... ef/rb are realy working good , i test them for some times , also this amazing fdisr... the only bad thing i can say about ef/rb thats like someone else wrote ... it is indeed loosing prefomance in time to come.

other IMPORTANT isue with is that (read well) u cant realy implement it on PC that his c:\ drive store your downloads (mp3,Xvid....etc )
    RB/EF got a big bug in this "monitor" isue (EF support said it will be fixed), it doesnt got the option to avoid monitor dirs !!! so if u have lets say 50 gigs totatl c:\ and u have 30 giga of download stuff (mp3,movies..) thats leave 20 gigs freee... and u try ROLLBACK back/forward u will see the pc will be boot and STUCK, even if u add the "c:\download" to exlude list...thats a damn major BUG which let ppl lost all the stuff!! , the only way to snap out of this is enter EF/RB subsystem and back to baseline , which lead to all c:\download to get wipe OUT!!!

this isue doesn happend in FDISR coz it got the ancore archive which build for such cases!!!

so now ppl will see the other side of EF/RB.... u cant put it on any pc !! FDISR u can.

ef/rb install must be plan like c:\ = 20 giga ONLY for os and basic appz (office,winrar,Divx player...etc)

so what do u do if u got like i said a 50 giga c:\ HD partition (or more) ,where user use it to store/download his stuff?? u start playin with partition programs? huh? risking your stuff? or u start moving data all around the hd + partition to smaller size (lol)

hope i help clear another bad and risky thing on this 2 progs

12. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Agree about the issue but let me say:

1- I don,t use synch function, it,s ofcourse not good I know.

2- Why to put Downloads on C? It,s data n must be on other partition, not C.

13. ErikAlbert

I agree and do the same. Putting data on C is for old-timers. ;)

14. demoneye

lo erik and aigle

yes puting data (mp3 , xvid) on c:\ is no smart , but my MAIN point was when u want to implement EF on existent system which the user didnt take any concern holding c:\ for OS + APPS and d:\ for data.( home or office user)

add to it the problem i mention above(risk when rollback when no much space looklike left).... u got a very limited program (eg EF) which isn`t what we call "out of the box" progs...

so far the only prog whcih can hundle the "bug" i mention + "out of the box" implement (u can ancore+exlude dirs) is FDISR

cheers :thumb:

15. ErikAlbert

I understand, but anchoring (exclude) folders or files in FDISR is BAD practice, because it makes your system partition more vulnerable.
    FDISR means "Immediate System Recovery", not "Immediate Data Recovery", not "Immediate System/Data Recovery".

All ISR-softwares (virtual or not) require separation of system and data, they just don't tell it always explicitly. If you read the manual of ShadowUser, you will read in the recommendations to separate system and data.

The first reason why ISR-software offer exclusion of objects, is that so many user have still a computer with only one big harddisk/partition [C:] with everything on it : system and data.
    The second reason is that sometimes software don't allow to put their data on another partition, these software have always a BAD design and I avoid to use them. Most recent developped softwares don't have this problem anymore, they have smart folder settings.
    I don't need any anchoring, because I solved the hardware and the software problem to make a complete separation of system and data possible.
    This was the very first thing I did when I bought my computer as a preparation to use FDISR or any other ISR-software in the future.
    I always try to think ahead when I create solutions and separating system and data is an ONE-TIME operation and your data will never be an obstacle anymore, when you need to change your system completely.
    I don't care what other users say, because I know what I'm doing and why I'm doing it. :)

Last edited: May 31, 2008
  16. demoneye

u talk on yourself and thats ok , but EF market is for all kind oc pc platform degin, meaning USER DONT NEED TO FORMAT AND REPARTIOTION after they bought EF....if u can see it from the product way of view u can understand EF is market limition coz of the above i mention

17. ErikAlbert

Users don't need to format, they only have to do a clean install one time and create images at the right moment. After that they can restore, update and backup again and use that image as their new system partition.
    You can do this over and over again, even when you buy a new computer and add new drivers if needed. SP = HIR and can restore your images on new hardware without re-installing over and over again.

User don't need to partition, if they buy two harddisks : one for system [C:], one for data [D:]. Windows will partition both harddisks automatically.

As I said before, use the right hardware and the right software and the rest follows automatically.

18. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

For the sake of any new users reading this:

First let me define data. I don't consider data to be large chunks of move files and huge libraries of pictures etc. Those like copies of of install programs, etc I keep off my c: drive just for keeping the c: drive small, and also to preserve them separately. What I define as data, is the files that my Office type programs use, like Outlook, excell spreadsheets, etc. It's everything I use in my business, and personal life, and it's about 2gig worth.

Having defined "data" I keep it all in one partition. One can optionally split it out, but I see no "you must do this" reason for doing so. Users here keep saying it, but why. I've never lost, had stolen, or infected anything in 5 years working this way. Protections yes.

Finally all ISR solutions DON'T require such separation. If the data is huge it might be good, if not, it ISN'T required. If it was REQUIRED, then what I am doing wouldn't work, and it does.

19. ErikAlbert

Peter,
    Delete my post, if you don't agree, like you usually do or ban me if that is the final goal. Forums enough on the internet.

20. Peter2150

Erik, that would be most inappropriate for obvious reasons. But if anyone keeps saying that someone must use partitions, I will keep correcting it. The problem is people don't say it like it's optional, but they say it like it's a mandatory thing. It isn't and saying it is, can be confusing to the new comer.

Pete

21. ErikAlbert

It's up to the user to decide what is good for him or not and if he doesn't like my ideas, he won't do it, because he already knows that his computer works fine without my ideas.
    I read so many advices or suggestions at Wilders, do this, do that, run this, run that. Do you really think every user follows these advices ? Certainly not me.

22. Peter2150

Erik, you are totally missing the point. There are people reading these forums that are very inexperienced. If you present something as your view then it is plain for any reader, but when you present it as absolute fact that convey's a different impression. Some of us realize, but new comers may not.

For example. Does SP take continous incrementals. Yes that is a fact. Is SP the best on the market. I would say yes in the strongest terms, but that is an opinion.

23. ErikAlbert

Then you better start cleaning this forum from all the beta softwares that are discussed here. Very inexperienced users, who don't know what beta means, might download and try these softwares too. That is alot more dangerous, than what I do.
    You can go on like this forever. You can't kill the creativity of this forum or it will be boring in the end.

24. aigle

aigle Registered Member

I think u people are arguing for nothing. Let,s move ahead. :)

25. demoneye

jap , i think both method by peter and erik are for diff users approach.

making separated partition or not depend on user separate .
    personaly for me making c:\ for os so i can play with :D it and other d: e: for my data (mp3,divx) :cool:

chers

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.