fdisr rescue sandboxing question

Discussion in 'FirstDefense-ISR Forum' started by Tony, May 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Welcome to the club Pat.

2. Peter2150

You are right about Raxco. Glad to hear you are going the full installer route.

Thanks,

Pete

3. beethoven

beethoven Registered Member

+1 In fact a sticky with some of Eric's explanations re your strategy might be warranted

4. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

Yes that is true, HDS removed the freeze function first and then the rest.
    I don't know which version/build number FDISR has without the freeze function, it was a very confusing and ridiculous situation. Each time I warned new users to ask HDS for FDISR with the freeze function, otherwise they got FDISR without the freeze function. Thanks for the nice words. :)

5. ErikAlbert

Thanks, I'm usually not a big help at Wilders, but FDISR is one software, I know pretty good. So writing and helping is the least I could do. :)

6. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

For once, Erik, I must completely disagree with you!! :p

Acadia

7. Tony

Tony Registered Member

I plan using FDISR Rescue as follows.

Boot to the back up area for a week at a time and use the computer as normal, test software etc.
    Then at the end of every week boot back to the original area, update anti virus programs etc and install any new software tested, then copy/update the back up area, re boot to the back up area for another 7 days and so on.

Does this seem like a sensible approach to using FDISR Rescue or have i got the concept of the program completely wrong.

All of my data, documents, photographs, folders etc are all stored to other partitions so i do not have to worry about accidentally deleting them with FDISR, and i also back these up to an external drive once a week also.

Hopefully this approach should keep my original area clean and clutter free.
    Any suggestions or criticisms to this approach??

8. Peter2150

Sure that works. You find with time you will modify it, but it's what best works for you.

9. Tony

Tony Registered Member

Thanks Peter :thumb:

10. ErikAlbert

Tony,
    It's always a good policy to separate system from data, that gives you completely freedom in your system partition without being worried about losing your data anymore. That was the very first thing I did : create a system and data partition and solve the problems related to that separation.

The trick is to keep your rescue system snapshot malware-free and that can only be done by using a well-choosen combination of security softwares. FDISR Rescue won't secure your system partition, it only recovers your system partition.
    ISR = Immediate System Recovery, not security.

Last edited: May 19, 2008
  11. demoneye

demoneye Registered Member

welp i gave FDISR a second chance..its better / secure than all other like it RB/EF whatever.........

i read here ppl ask bout the FREEZ option...acording to the manual it take twice space as the snapshot its self...what the point than? ... easly u can install DF/SU/SD/returnil....... less resource and more lightly on the IFDSR...

cheers:thumb:

12. Tony

Tony Registered Member

Thanks Erik :)
    That is something i have already done is create a seperate partition for system/data/media files.

Is there some other recommendation you would suggest then other than what i have already done by separating system/data, and keeping my backup area for daily use and testing, then booting to my original area at the end of the week (although i may make this daily) and doing a copy/update thus keeping my original area (hopefully) clean??

I will also image a clean system install one before and one after installing FDISR Recsue.

I also intend to use Avira premium and DefenseWall, altough most likely change Avira to Kaspersky 2009 when it has its final release.

13. ErikAlbert

That's what most users told me about all other ISR-softwares, except FDISR : faster, less space, less resource, ... whatever. Any child can see these advantages.

Do you really think that changed my mind about FDISR ?
    Study each ISR-software and you will find out that the main disadvantages of all these ISR-softwares don't exist in FDISR.

Some of these ISR-softwares have a few MUCH better features than FDISR and protect themselves MUCH better than FDISR, but the total picture is not as good as the total picture of FDISR.

Faster, less space, less resource, ... are NOT functions, they mean nothing to me and my computer has none of these HARDWARE problems. :)

What I accomplished with FDISR is impossible to do with any other ISR-software : supercleaning and repairing my computer is reduced to nothing.
    I challenge any other ISR-user without FDISR, who can prove, he did better than me.
    I know already in advance he will lose, because I know the disadvantages of other ISR-softwares all to well. :)

Last edited: May 19, 2008
  14. demoneye

welp erik i now got my MASTER in FDISR hehe.
    and i also call any one to proved other ISR can even stand in one line with FDISR. they can`t lol.

hope like i read all around in here some one will pick up the glove and continue developed it (realy it miss restore option at F1 on boot).

cheers:thumb:

15. ErikAlbert

I'm not the only "master" in FDISR at this forum and I don't consider myself a master in FDISR either. If members have a technical problem with FDISR, I can't even solve it. I only know how to USE FDISR when there are no technical problems.
    After all I'm using FDISR already 2 years, you can't expect the same experience from a first time FDISR-user.
    Isn't that obvious ? I just think the same way like I always do and my thinking never stops, even when it looks good.

I can easily judge other ISR-solutions, because I use the very best ISR-software. FDISR is older, but is still years ahead compared with other ISR-softwares. FDISR is brilliant, the rest is mediocre. I'm waiting for a similar solution that is even better FDISR.
    It's not my fault that some users don't see it that way. I'm forced to use FDISR, because there is no better alternative and I don't combine two ISR-softwares to solve so called "shortcomings" of FDISR, that is against my principles.
    I don't see any shortcomings of FDISR, I only see possible improvements of FDISR and I don't blame FDISR for hardware problems. I couldn't use FDISR on my old computer either and after 7 years it was high time to buy a new one.
    Until then I did everything the classical way : Firewall and a bunch of scanners.

Three simple logical reasonings did it for me :

1. Malware "changes" my system somewhere, without that "change" malware can't do anything.
    If I undo "bad changes", malware is gone. "Change" + "Anti-Change" = nothing = malware-free system.

2. There is a difference between an "unused" software and an "used" software.
    An "used" software uses more space than an "unused" software, because it creates extra objects when it is doing its job. In other words these extra objects are also "changes", but not malware, they are superfluous and ballast on my system.
    If I undo "good changes", superfluous objects are gone. "Change" + "Anti-Change" = nothing = clean system.

3. A fresh installed system is working properly, which means no problems and that is the perfect troubleshooter in deeds.
    If I replace my actual system with a fresh installed system, ALL problems are gone.
    It's always the same formula. "Change" + "Anti-Change" = nothing = unchanged good working system.

The only thing I had to do :
    a. separate system and data.
    b. install Windows + Applications and use it as less as possible.
    c. clean it ONE time with registry/history/junk cleaners, just to be sure.
    d. create an SP-Image and a FDISR-archive.
    e. use a frozen snapshot in FDISR to make a very comfortable boot-to-restore.
    All I have to do is reboot and I have a superclean, malware-free and repaired system partition, ready-to-use and the perfect environment to try and test new softwares.
    If software didn't upgrade all the time, I would do nothing.

Is that so difficult to accomplish ? No, anybody can do this.

In combination with ShadowProtect and my new backup/restore procedure, I have a total recovery solution and no malware can survive this, not even rootkits, Rustock.C, Joanna's Invisible Things and UNBORN malware in the future.
    I kill them all. Is malware dangerous ? NO, I'm dangerous. :D
    Since my RECOVERY is finished, I'm now working on my SECURITY to make malware IMMEDIATELY harmless. :)

Last edited: May 25, 2008
  16. demoneye

you know erik... something very important is missing from FDISR and its the subsystem like in EF / RB (dos mode) .

in this MODE u can save one boot in order to restore snapshot

maybe TOD and his crew will implement this in the next upcoming update

cheers:cautious:

17. ErikAlbert

I don't really need this, but I dream of something else : a software that undoes any change immediately, while FDISR does that only after reboot and that is too late in theory.
    Anti-Executable acts immediately, but only for executables.

So a whitelist of all objects that don't require any change would be more powerful than AE.

Last edited: May 27, 2008
  18. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Ok, let me take ur challenge for a while, just for fun.:)

I am using GAOD free offer of Eaz-Fix on my laptop. My HD is 40 GB with C partition about 10 GB. C is protected by Eaz-Fix.

I have ten snapshots with different security software. I have not even a single instance of corrupted snapshot so far, no data loss so far( I know they can happen though).

Let me know what u are doing with FDISR I can,t do with Eaz-Fix.:) Let me say I do better than you. :)

19. ErikAlbert

Although I can create 10 snapshots and I did this in the past, I don't do this anymore.
    I wonder how you can test 10 snapshots with total different security softwares at the same time. I go crazy with so many security softwares and so many snapshots. It takes me minimum a week to evaluate ONE security software in combination what I already have.
    I remember the first time when I installed AE, nothing but trouble, but I wanted AE absolutely on my computer, no matter what. So I had to find out what was wrong and how to fix it and do several tests.
    You must be alot smarter than me. :)

20. Peter2150

Hi Aigle

Now that's a fun challenge. How's about this. Convert a Vista Snapshot, back to XP. I know that's not fair.:D , but I've done it with FDISR.

Pete

21. Huupi

Huupi Registered Member

This is a nice one,i did a reinstall with all the bloated stuff from the HP OEM disk( i have no retail XP CD),installed FDISR,created a second snapshot,from there i did a copy/update from archive to the first snapshot and i was back in business. Time 25 min. :thumb:

22. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Hi, you replied yourself. I wil not say anything. :D

23. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Hey, 25 min is not instant recovery, mind it. Even image restore is faster than this.

24. aigle

aigle Registered Member

BTW I took challenge of Eric. No way that I will reply to all of FDISR users here. :)

25. ErikAlbert

Aigle,
    I clean my computer completely without using AV/AS/AT/AK/AR/...-scanners, registry cleaners, history cleaners and junk cleaners during each reboot in less than 2 minuts. My online snapshot has always the same size = 2.40gb.
    Can you beat that ? :)

I can install Win2000pro, WinXP and WinVISTA on the same harddisk. Can you beat that ?

I can use any defragger. Can you beat that ?

I can boot directly in any archived snapshot. Can you beat that ?

I can create more than 600,000 archived snapshots. Can you beat that ?

I can use any Image Backup software and do a NORMAL backup and still keep my snapshots, even during restore.
    Can you beat that ?

I can reboot without chkdsk's. Can you beat that ?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.