FDISR & IFD Test

Discussion in 'FirstDefense-ISR Forum' started by dallen, May 29, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rilla927

Rilla927 Registered Member

Yes I agree Longboard!

2. Rilla927

Hi Dallen,

you have been a great help as all the others have been:)

Now you mentioned Firewire. Honestly, I have never thought about it.

I will have a look in my box of goodies to see if it came with one, if not I know I have one laying around here somewhere. Good idea! I will have to check into it.

3. Rilla927

New screen shot!

Attached Files:

4. crofttk

crofttk Registered Member

OK, Rilla, it looks to me like you sure have a USB2 connection to that hard drive -- at least when you're in Windows. So, assuming you are hooked into the same physical port when you try IFD, one MIGHT expect USB2 functionality with IFD.

BUT, all this does is show that your hardware is capable within Windows -- at least it eliminates some of the wild goose chasing you could get into.

I've had no problems with USB2 and IFD, so I don't really have an experience base to work from and I will have to defer to other members to give you better help from here on out. I just thought it was important to establish you indeed had the right hardware and basic functionality.

5. wilbertnl

wilbertnl Registered Member

For IFD: does that USB drive need to be formatted in FAT32 or doesn't that matter?
    I can imagine that IFD is able to create images of NTFS partitions, but need to store that in a dos accessible place?

6. Rui

Rui Registered Member

Hi Rilla927

I do hope Longboard, dallen and crofttk won't consider my post an intrusion, as (and I have read this whole thread) they have been trying to help you in a hard and quite dedicated way.
    It happens that I also use IFW/IFD to backup/restore my system partition to a USB external drive.
    I have found that sometimes IFD fails to see the external USB drive. When this happens, switching the USB drive off and on again solves the problem. After this operation, IFD does recognize the external USD drive.
    Hope this helps.
    By the way, there are new versions of IFW/IFD (updated today). See
    http://www.terabyteunlimited.com/imagew.html
    http://www.terabyteunlimited.com/image.html
    Regards
    Rui

7. crofttk

As I understand forum etiquette, that would be mostly up to dallen as it's "his" thread.

I think your information could be just the kind of thing Rilla could make use of at this point and something I couldn't have offered.:thumb:

Last edited: Jun 8, 2006
  8. crofttk

wilbertnl, IFD reads NTFS fine in my experience. Technically, AFAIK, IFD either isn't running in DOS or else doesn't depend upon DOS for that function. I thought it was running in it's own boot environment.

dallen, DUDE !, I think you've been hitting the books kinda hard... You looked a good bit perkier in your earlier photo, if I might say so without giving offense. If I do offend, my apologies.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2006
  9. Rui

Rui Registered Member

Hi crofttk

I do hope the provided information may really help Rilla927!
    Regards
    Rui

10. Rui

Rui Registered Member

Hi wilbertnl

I use a NTFS formatted USB drive and IFD works with it without any problems.
    I have tested backup and restore operations more than a dozen times.
    It works flawlessly!
    Regards
    Rui

11. Rui

Rui Registered Member

Sorry, crofttk

I didn't see your post...
    Regards
    Rui

12. dallen

dallen Registered Member

To address a few points in no particular order:

First, I do not consider any thread as belonging to a particular individual. Some consider the thread starter as the owner of the thread and I respect that logic. My view is that once a thread is started it becomes the possession and jointly held property of everyone that chooses to participate, all of which have an equal and undivided interest in it.
    I do appreciate the consideration though.

OK...that's enough from my Property class. I didn't score very highly in that class anyway.

Second, Rui's observation and suggestion about powering off and on the USB drive is completely relevant and true. I think that you should try it, but that you will find it does not resolve your issue.

Third, NTFS and FAT32 is good thinking, but again, my opinion is that this is not what is contributing to the problem as IFD/IFW can work with either to the best of my knowledge.

Forth, are we having fun yet? I like trying to figure out these kinds of problems. It keeps things interesting. Rilla, you may not be having as much fun as the rest of us and I appreciate that.

Fifth, a old wise man once told me about a similar experience. The delima was that the system had some ports that were USB2.0 and some that were only USB1.1. Under these unique conditions, the program did not detect USB devices under a DOS based program. I do not know if this is occurring or not to be honest, but it sounds plausible.

Finally, my suggestion is, as it often is with computers, when you cannot find a solution to the problem, try finding a comparable work-around. The old wise man finally got his external device to be recognized by using firewire (IEEE 1394). If it is possible, you should try that Rilla.

If this is not feasible, then we will have to go a different direction. I will say that when you made the comment
    it made me think that the problem may not be with IFD recognizing your USB device, but rather your system in general recognizing it. If that is the case, then you may have left the dallen can help you zone.

I am always willing to contact you via telephone or let you contact me if you prefer, although at this point it may not be necessary. Also, I realize that some people get creaped out about the whole idea of contacting someone from the evil internet. I contact Peter2150 occassionally and he can attest that I haven't bitten him...yet. Myself, I may be naive, but my opinion is that I am pretty tough (for a pocket protector wearing geek anyway). Besides, if someone is able to make it past the hounds and my personal bodyguards, the gold plated 45s have a tendency disuade the bad guys. If not it does slow'em down a bit.

13. Rilla927

@Crofttk

Good

@Wilbertnl

Yes.

@Rui

Yes they have! They all are good troops.

Thanks very much for your voice. I will try that and see if it works and thanks for the links.

Well fella's!

I'm gonna try this again and will try what Rui said with the drive. Will ley you all know what happens, okay.

A BIG THANKS to everyone that has offered help, you guys are the BEST!

14. Rilla927

Dallen!

what happen to you? Did you fall by the wayside?;)

15. dallen

dallen Registered Member

Rilla927,
    I don't know what you mean.

If this is another comment regarding the change of the mood in my avatar, it is because I am a little upset. My avatar is a photo of the great basketball coach Bob Knight, for all of you non-basketball fans out there (if there is such a thing and I cannot imagine there would be).

Call me a nerd, but I have different photos of Coach Knight with various expressions. I try to match my avatars mood with my own, mainly because I am trapped here in law school prison and these forums are my way to relax.

crofttk,
    You had asked about my avatar and I forgot to respond. It has changed because another forum member pissed me off a little. A particular forum member, who will remain anonymous, decided to unnecessarily comment about my signature in a different thread. I guess the fact that I list my educational background makes him so uncomfortable that he felt compelled to harass me publicly. Fortunately, the great Wilders moderators saved him from public humiliation by removing most of his comments before I had a chance to read them. Nevertheless, thank you for your concern.

16. crofttk

:D Haaah ! I don't know why I have to deliberately remind myself that many people wouldn't post their own photo as an avatar; after all, I've been using my own for about two months now !;) I'm glad to read that you're otherwise doing well. Best of luck with your studies !

Let me make it clear that I do respect your educational background with no trace of fear or rancor and that you have every right to be proud of it. However, I do feel a little easier that you appear to have taken my comment in a good way. I'd hate to have my geekness challenged in a nefarious and manipulative way, to the edge of what's legal, no less !:p (I hope that at least you get my drift.:D)

P.S. I guess it's blatantly obvious that I'm not much of a basketball fan.:oops:

17. dallen

dallen Registered Member

crofttk,
    Some people elect to allow their education to be know only through their dealings and elect not to display it. I fully understand that stance. Like many things in life there are positives and negatives about each.

As for you, it seems that you have been well educated, either formally or informally. You've at least done your fair share of reading, at least your vocabulary seems to indicate that you have.

We seem to have mutual respect for one another and that is what it's all about.

18. Rilla927

Dallen,

good to see you back:)

There is nothing wrong with you stating your education and you should be proud of it. I would. I think he was intimidated which put him in his state of ignorance.

19. Rilla927

Well everyone,

It failed again! It almost made it to the last step when I tried restoring with IFW. After I chose source and destination etc, I come to a screen with some options:

Validate (was checked)
    Keep Restore HD (unchecked)
    Expand (unchecked)
    Set Active (unchecked)
    Write MBR Code (unchecked)

Leave at End (MB) _______

If anyone can comment on something that should be checked, please let me know.

The Error: Unable to obtain a lock on drive C:

I don't understand this because Phylock is installed.

It actually started the restore process before the error came up which left Windows unusable.

I had to restore from my DVD.

Ever since I retsored the USB Drive is not recognized at all in the device manager- it says unknown device.

Attached Files:

20. dallen

dallen Registered Member

Do you have Windows XP? If so, do you have SP1 and SP2 installed with Windows XP? If so, try right-clicking on each of the USB entries in your device manager and selecting "update driver." If it asks you in you want to allow a connection to the internet to search for the driver, say yes. Make a note of whether or not any of the items actually update and let me know.

21. Rilla927

I have XP Home SP2.

It did update the driver for the 2.0, driver date 6/1/2002.

The other three there were no updates available.

Thanks Dallen,

my external now shows up in device manager;)

22. crofttk

You bet, and thanks for your kind words. Now I'll have to try not be too obvious with the "flowerdy words", as Festus (of Gunsmoke) would have called them, out of modesty.

I had four years of schooling in engineering (a little bit of psych and anthy on the side) and then followed the money trail. I often envy those who've continued their schooling beyond the point that I did but, on the other hand, that has given me some extra time to raise a family and do some reading on my own, some serious but most not.

In any event, may the learning continue for all of us !

23. dallen

dallen Registered Member

Amen to that.
    You should not envy us perpetual students. Academia definately has it positives, but being a broke-ass student while many of your friends are making $$$ sucks. crofttk, if that money trail gets to densely covered and you need someone to help you remove some of the undergrowth, keep a certain ramen noodle eatin' folk in mind, will ya?

24. Rui

Rui Registered Member

Hi Rilla927

Did you try restoring with IFW? Or is this a typo and you mean IFD instead?
    The error you mention "Unable to obtain a lock on drive C:" occurs only when working in a Windows environment. So I assume you tried restoring using IFW.

Restore operations must be performed using Image for DOS (IFD), not Image for Windows (IFW).

Hope this helps.

Regards

Rui

25. dallen

dallen Registered Member

Rilla927, please clarify what exactly you meant.

Rui,
    You are exactly right; however, to the best of my knowledge, a restorationi can be performed with either IFD or IFW. I could be wrong because I almost solely use IFD.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.