FDISR & IFD Test

Discussion in 'FirstDefense-ISR Forum' started by dallen, May 29, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Longboard

Longboard Registered Member

@rilla

I meant a screeny of your partition setup;
    Control panel>Admin tools> Comp Management> Disc Management and you will see your drives and partitions.

Yes I thought the numbers are todays date I was wondering where the file is kept on the HD and In which partition?

Lbd.

EDIT: I am so sorry, my previous post #34 i wrote this:
    It should have been....go to folder where the image is stored (in your case the folder in the screeny 06012006 ) and point to/select the file "BACK UP. IMG" then "restore" ( or in BING wwp window "paste"), this should initiate the restore, all else being equal.

Why not try the restore from BING wwp window as per the video demo to test?

Sorry for that. HTH. you probably have worked it out by now.
    Dont mean to be rude with all the simple instructions.
    If you have BING then it's fair to assume a high level of working experience. (except in my case :blink: )

You said
    LOL. me too.

Lbd.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2006
  2. dallen

dallen Registered Member

I am sorry that I did not respond last night. My girlfriend was delighted to see me and frankly that was more fun than typing on my computer.;)

With all of the talk about partitioning, I think that this relatively simple issue has became unnecessarily complex. As I understand your situation Rilla927, you are able to successfully create an image of your C: drive, but are having issues restoring it usind IFD.

Keep in Mind that the Image001 file is the second file. The Image file is the first. Longboard is correct when he (sorry for the assumption) says:
    If you would like to send me a PM with a phone number that I can reach you, I think I could solve your problem in considerably less time.

If not, then please tell me what exacly happens when you attempt to restore. I'm still not seeing what is going wrong.

3. Rilla927

Rilla927 Registered Member

Sorry, I'm learning as I go a long. There will be a screen shot in the end.

The image is kept on the E drive=Buslink.

No need to worry my friend;);)

I noticed you said to select the "BACK UP IMG" in the folder. That's what I was doing wrong, I was selecting the IMG01 or something like that. I never once selected the file you just mentioned.

I have played around with BING to create other partions before, other than that, that's it. I always lean towards IFD for restoring. I know you can use BING for that, I just never tried it yet. In the future I will.

No you are fine! I appreciate the help.

No, not really! Just learning slowly as I go a long.:)

Rilla927

Attached Files:

4. Rilla927

I guess so!:):)

Correct.

Yes and yes.

I will try choosing the file Longboard mentioned and see what happens and then I will get back to you guys.

Like I said, I think I'm choosing the wrong item in the folder when I do the restore.

I will let you know what happens.

5. Rilla927

I guess I should ask for instructions to restore from IFD, lol.

Thanks

6. dallen

dallen Registered Member

I agree that the likely problem is that you are simply choosing the incorrect file during the restoration process. Please let us know the result.

7. Rilla927

I tried the restore and it will not work on this laptop.

If my memory serves me correct these USB ports may be 1.1.

Also I checked the bios to see if the external would show and it does not.

I checked the device manager to see if it shows up and it does.

Everytime I would choose "Restore From" USB 2.0 Device IFD said it could not find.

Is there a way to check the to see what version the USB ports are on the computer? When I looked in device manager I didn't see anything to indicate either or.

Rilla927

8. crofttk

crofttk Registered Member

In device manager, a USB2 port is usually distinguishable from USB1.1 ports by the word "Enhanced" in the Controller/Port description.

For example, on my Dell Inspiron E1505 (new version of the 6000) laptop, the low-speed USB ports show as "USB Universal Host Controller" but the USB2 ports show as "USB2 Enhanced Host Controller".

If you don't see the word "Enhanced" in the descriptor for one of the ports, you may be limited to USB1.1. In that case, have a look here: http://www.terabyteunlimited.com/kb/article.php?id=251 and see if that helps.

If you DO have the word "Enhanced" in one of the ports' descriptors, then there's a good chance you DO have a USB2 port to plug into SOMEwhere.

If it turns out you DO have USB2, and if I recall correctly, you may have to look into to loading some other (ASPI ??) drivers with IFD to get it to pick up your USB2 drive's presence.

9. Rilla927

Hi Crofttk,

thanks for the in put. I learned something new. I love it when that happens:D

I took a screen shot of my USB stuff in device manager for you to see.

I'm assuming I do have the USB 2.0:doubt::doubt:

Attached Files:

• USB.PNG
      USB.PNG
      File size:
      4.6 KB
      Views:
  10. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Interesting. On my computer I have USB 1.1 on the front of the box and USB 2.0 on the rear. Long before I got to try IFW or Acronis I fired up Ghost 2003. It supports USB 1.1 and 2.0 and Firewire. But if you have both it requires USB 1.1, so I've ended up using Firewire for the imaging.

Dallen could this be an issue?

11. Longboard

@rilla
    I know i wanted to stay out of this and leave it to dallen who likely has more expertise than me.

just a couple of things:
    i remember you described one of your original images as taking >3hrs and we were suprised at that: sounds like possibly USB1.1 speeds? I cant actually see the "enhanced" label in your USB controller ports

your screeny of your discs/partitions did not show your USB drive although your "my computer" screeny did.

the article that crofftk pointed you to is too geekalicious for me. :eek:

I am assuming you want to restore an image with a "new" OS to use it

?does your laptop still have internal floppy?
    If so create and boot from the BING disc or if no floppy, boot from CD ( make sure bios boot order is floppy>CD>HD, have the usb drive plugged in ), check "enable USB support" in settings and see if the USB device is recognised.

If Your USB device is not recognised, then the other option would be using IFD. SO, boot to BING, resize your C primary partition, create new partition of appropriate size, reboot, use IFD to restore your image to new partition, reboot to BING, and then move the new partition to the "top" of the list in WWP window.

If your boot.ini file looks like this:
    [boot loader]
    timeout=30
    default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
    [operating systems]
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition" /fastdetect /NoExecute=OptIn

then putting your restored image in the first partition will allow it to boot.
    (there are more complicated ways for making the partition active, but I try not to fool with them yet)

Check this video about creating new partitions and ordering the partition table for booting and you will get the idea :)
    http://www.terabyteunlimited.com/videos/bing/bingxpcopy.wmv

Your laptop may well have one of those proprietary primary partitions that means your boot.ini file may have "...partition(2)..." in which case your created image will need to be moved to the second partition.

This is actually easier than it sounds.

Once the image is restored to the appropriate partition, reboot

SUpport in DOS for USB devices is notoriously difficult and you might be better off in IFW/BING

IF that fails ( ie BING not seeing the USB, but your bios seeing the USB )you could simply use the windows partition management in "disc mgt" to create a new partition to restore your image to with IFW, then reorder the partition table for booting to new partition.

All this is peculiar. I really cant enlighten you as to why, if you were able to create the image to your USB drive with IFD, it will not restore.

BUT, as noted there might be another solution to get your image restored and then we can find out later :)

You are booting the laptop with USB plugged in, not taht it should make a difference in XP, but it may make a difference in IFD or BING

Once you have rebooted successfully, you can go back to either BING or disc managemnet and delete/format what was the "C" partition. Be careful deleting the right partition WIndows will automatically label the partitions in the conventional way after next re-boot.

As to the question of whether you have USB 1.1 V 2.0:
    My USB controllers look like this and show the "enhanced" label in there.

PS, there are updates for most of Terabyte products available http://www.terabyteunlimited.com/kb/article.php?id=044

Sorry for butting in again.
    Head hurting again. LOL
    Lbd.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 3, 2006
  12. dallen

dallen Registered Member

If my memory serves me, and sometimes it doesn't, you created an image successfully. Was this image created using IFD or IFW?

If you created the image from IFD, then my intuition tells me that Peter2150's theory does not apply. If IFD was able to see the drive during the creation process, then it should see the drive during the restoration.

If you created the image using IFW, then maybe you should try creating an image using IFD. If you cannot create and image using IFD, then Peter2150's theory may be relevant. If your issue is USB1.1 related, the my advice at this point would be either to concede to always using Image for Windows, or exploring a work around for Image for DOS. I must be honest and tell you that I cannot help you with this work around because I do not know anything about it. However, I would definately be interested in learning, so if that is the case and you discover a solution, then please teach me.

13. crofttk

That's a pretty good assumption, I'd say.;)

To further see how your drive is connected, try this: In Device Manager, go into the menu bar at the top and, under "View", select "Devices by Connection". This will give you a differently organized view of your devices that show the PHYSICAL relationship of your USB ports and devices.

You may have to drill down several levels, e.g., "ACPI PC"/"Microsoft ACPI-Compliant System"/"PCI Bus"/"XXXX USB2 Enhanced Host Controller" -- in my case -- to get to where it shows your USB Mass Storage Device and what kind of port it's connected to.

If you find your drive connected to a USB2 port, that's a a good sign.

You're not yet necessarily in the clear though. You may have verified things in Windows but that could be another can of worms once you get out into the boot environment of IFD -- but you definitely have to ascertain whether your hardware is USB 2 capable.

14. Rilla927

Yes.
    I had to use IFW because IFD kept saying it could not find the USB Device.

He may be correct! Cuz, I tried five times with IFD and four times with BING. I enabled the USB 2.0 option in BING and restarted and it shows no trace of a USB 2.0 Device.

When I tried the Restore option in BING all the options were greyed out to choose any HD.

I think with everyone's neighborly help it will get ironed out:D:D

15. Rilla927

Crofttk,

I read your last post. I will do what you said and get back to you.

16. Rilla927

Crofttk,

I used "Devices by Connenction". Here is a shot, don't know what it means either way.

Attached Files:

17. skbaltimore

skbaltimore Registered Member

I'd just like to thank Dallen, et. al., for the help in making IFD even easier to work with. I sometimes avoid DOS-based programs because of things like the "8-3" naming limits, etc. But other times I find it a good challenge. As a result of having read through this thread, I reorganized my filing/naming system for IFD/IFW. Instead of including the date/time in the name of the file, like I would normally do in Windows, I used the following file naming sequence:

"Drive":\Image\"Date"\"Time" It basically accomplishes the same thing, but makes it both more compatible and more legible once I'm in a DOS environment. (See enclosed screenshot).

Attached Files:

18. crofttk

WELL, you ALMOST got there, Rilla. You next need to click the "+" sign next to the "Standard Enhanced PCI to USB Host Contoller" item to expand it and show what is connected to it. Hopefully, it's an Enhanced USB port with your USB hard drive attached to it ! Keep clicking all the plus signs until you've expanded everything to the "end" device and no "+" signs are left.

19. Rilla927

Sorry, I didn't notice I didn't expand all. Here is the new shot.

Thanks so much for all your help;)

Attached Files:

20. Rilla927

Hi gang!

I came across some info and wanted to share it with you. Any and all advice will be appreciated.

@Crofttk
    I did check out the link about the USB 1.1. Was wondering if that link and/or the info I will post has something to do with this situation.

Thanks to all:)

Attached Files:

21. Rilla927

Wow! Did I offend someone?

22. crofttk

Not me. I've been traveling, so haven't followed each thread religiously.

It looks like you have no USB drive connected to the USB2. You should expand ALL of the plus signs to verify where your USB drive is connected, even those that don't have USB showing at this point to make sure.

As for the Whitepaper, I doubt that would be of any help to you in this case. The way I understand it, you're trying to figure out why IFD doesn't recognize your USB drive, not trying to boot from the USB drive.

23. Longboard

Still watching :)
    Maybe you could take up dallen's offer of a phone call?
    That sounds a bit disturbing.

Lbd.

24. dallen

dallen Registered Member

I have tried keeping up with this thread, but I honestly do not know much about BING. All I know is IFD and IFW. Let me ask you Rilla, Do you have Firewire (that's IEEE1394)? If so, you may want to try using it instead of USB. If not, you may consider giving it a try.

25. Rilla927

Hi Crofttk,

Sorry I have been absent. I received my desktop back and hooked it up and it screwed up worse than before it left here. The tech that worked on it deleted the Promise FastTrack Driver and fouled the whole system up. Won't boot into windows.

It was sent in to have the power supply replaced. It's going right back. This will be eight times it been shipped. Alienware couldn't do nothing right if their lives depended on it!

I will reconnect the USB Drive and expand ALL plus signs and take another screen shot.

The reason I mentioned the Whitepaper was because I originally had a problem "not being able to store from a USB External".

Then we got into the version of the ports. Just wanted to see if it applied.

Right now I'm in another part of the house no where near the USB external.
    I will get back to you with the screen shot. Thanks very much;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.