FDISR - Export/Import

Discussion in 'FirstDefense-ISR Forum' started by ErikAlbert, May 31, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Hi Wilbertnl

What I was talking about is simply take a full image today. Then just use your system a week, do a defrag or two, and then take an incremental image. That incremental can be almost as big as the original. Also the time can be just as long. It's because ATI takes the image based on moved sectors. Based on that I just only take full images when ever I image.

Pete

2. wilbertnl

wilbertnl Registered Member

I understand that, Peter,
    The incremental update would be significant smaller if you omit the defrag of the partition.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2006
  3. crofttk

crofttk Registered Member

Understood, wilbertnl. I don't know why it keeps getting repeated that FDISR doesn't service other partitions, that's like FDISR 101 and I think most of us in these conversations are operating at the 300 level at least. It's beating a dead horse.

At the first mention of a separate partition, all further involvement of FDISR in the conversation is moot.

I would have never moved my data to a separate partition if I had no other software than FDISR.

4. crofttk

Right, and that basic problem stems from the fact that one is using a sector based imaging program to do an incremental backup which, is actually, more suited to a file based backup program (such as Retrospect).

ATI can do file based (files and folders backup versus disk image) backup and I believe folks should stick to that if they want to go the route of using ATI to create a baseline full backup and then follow with periodic incremental or differential backups. Unfortunately I haven't had such good luck using ATI to do file based backups -- it simply isn't reliable enough for me to use it that way. The current build IS reliable enough on my system to take images with, however, and I AM using it for that.

Acronis tries to make ATI a do everything program and it's unforunate that it complicates things enough that Acronis is having quality control problems with it (although there probably are some other contributing factors).

Programs that do one thing well are where I tend to get the most value for my systems -- if it's a little geeky, it doesn't bother me -- I don't mind RTFMing to get a handle on things.

5. wilbertnl

wilbertnl Registered Member

I didn't feel that I needed the features of ATI 9, so I never updated and stuck with ATI 8.
    But since I installed FD-ISR I have not used imaging software at all.

6. crofttk

Understood. But if you ever decide you want more security or redundancy, ATI is still there.

Even though there are those who think it's silly, I do "layer" my backup protection because I have been burnt and none of those critics are gonna be around to recover my data if it happens again.

7. Peter2150

Amen to that.:thumb:

8. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

Well guys, FDISR saved me today. Something went wrong in my Snapshot-02 after installing the legitimate software "F-Secure Internet Security" (FIS).
    "FIS" doesn't seem to like any other security software and that caused problems in rebooting. I was stucked in a reboot loop.
    ATI would have saved me by restoring an image, but FDISR allowed me to reboot in Snapshot-01 and remove Snapshot-02 in a much faster way.
    Meanwhile I installed FIS properly in Snapshot-02 without having reboot problems, but it still doesn't work because I still can't access any website, but that is a different problem. :)

9. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

That's what FD-ISR is all about, Immediate System Recovery! :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

Acadia

10. ErikAlbert

Right you are. Meanwhile my problem with F-secure is fixed. I have access to any website. :)

11. Peter2150

Welcome to the "We really love FDISR" fan club. It helped me with F-Secure also. I never did get it installed.

12. ErikAlbert

As I said before "love" is too big for me, I "like" software.
    I can imagine your troubles with F-Secure, I had to uninstall ZoneAlarm Free, AVG Free, Ad-Aware Free and Spybot S&D completely before I could install F-Secure. I tried it without uninstalling them and that's why I got in trouble.
    My system kept on rebooting and Windows wasn't even loaded. I got a Blue Screen with alot of text instead, that disappeared so quickly I couldn't even read it.
    I was lucky I got the FDISR preboot screen to boot in another snapshot or I was still rebooting.
    Of course the ATI Rescue CD would have saved me too, but certainly not that FAST. :D

13. Peter2150

I was just trying to install the darn AV. Shouldn't have to strip machine for that. F-Secure AV can't be that good.

14. dallen

dallen Registered Member

Just for the record, I currently have NOD32 on one snapshot, BitDefender on another, and F-Secure's Internet Security 2006 on a third. I am doing this for trial purposes and all three are working. I say working and we all know that is a relative term when used in the context of software.

The only one of the three that I do not really like is NOD32. I know it's a popular program in these forums, but it literally gives me hundreds of errors every time I scan. These errors are mostly related to FDISR files, which you cannot easily exclude.

Actually, Pete, it's a shame that you cannot get F-Secure installed because it is actually a nice program.

ErikAlbert,
    I know what you mean when you say that "love" is too big a word to use with software and that you only "like" First Defense. Even taking that into consideration, I LOVE First Defense ISR. I mean, I would make sweet love down by the fire kinda love.;) Yes, First Defense is that good of a software.

15. Leapfrog Software

Leapfrog Software Leapfrog Management

Dallen,

Your comment, "I mean, I would make sweet love down by the fire kinda love. Yes, First Defense is that good of a software." just got an enormous chuckle out of me. You just made my day.

16. Peter2150

ROFLMAO. Yep it is that good. Erik just wait until something trashes you and you realize oops no recent image.

17. Leapfrog Software

Leapfrog Software Leapfrog Management

Holy smokes, I just can't stop giggling about your comment. Good stuff! I went ahead and shared it with the rest of the Engineering team. I got the whole department ROFL-ing.

18. ErikAlbert

What if your source and/or destination snapshot is wrong in FDISR, you can lose alot of softwares this way.

19. dallen

dallen Registered Member

Software that attempts to protect a user from his/her own actions risks being labled inflexible and not user friendly.

Let's face it, if I tell my computer to delete the entire Windows folder and it refuses claiming to be protecting me, that seems logical on the surface. However, what if I really want to delete that folder, I know what I'm doing, and I have good reason for doing so?

By allowing the deletion of the Windows folder, some users would say that the system is poorly designed claiming the system should protect itself. By preventing such actions, experienced users might loath the system for its inflexibity and not being user-friendly.

Putting warning dialogue boxes may help, but most users click through those blindly. Maybe having various modes could be useful in this regard. For example:

Dumbass mode: Does not allow the user to do stupid things
    Expert mode: Allow the user to do whatever he/she wants

ErikAlbert,
    No software is perfect for every user. Great software for you may not be worth a hill of beans for me. This is evidenced by listening to people argue over AV softwares. A really good software is flexible and reliable enough to make a lot of users happy. First Defense does just that. I think you may have to concede to the fact that if I'm willing to make sweet love to it down by the fire, it must be good.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2006
  20. ErikAlbert

Dallen,
    It was just a reply to Peter's "oops no recent image".
    My answer to this "oops the wrong snapshot".
    Such remarks are valid for ALL softwares.

21. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

:thumb: :cool:

Acadia

22. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

But then it would be your fault, wouldn't it, not the program's. And the way that I use FD, even if I made that kind of a mistake, I still wouldn't lose anything, I would simply have to redo it. The way that I use FD, not only can I "goback", I can also "go back to the future". :cool:

Acadia

Last edited: Jun 6, 2006
  23. Peter2150

Erik something I learned a long time ago and I apply it to First Defense, is once I select the source and destination, before I turn it lose I take both hands off my keyboard and put them in my lap. Then I take another look at the screen, and read what is says to myself. Only then do I click okay.

I learned this from a wise old systems guy years ago. He was doing something and suddenly he groaned when he realized he'd screwed up. Then suddenly he put his hands in his lap. Puzzled I asked hiim why he did that. His reply was generally when you screw up, if you type something immediately you most often will render what you just did unfixable, but if you get your hands away from the keyboard, and stop and think, you often can find an easy fix. Over the years this has proved to be a valuable lesson.

Pete

24. crofttk

Software only does what you tell it to do. The "ooops" is an operator error. I doubt Peter2150 is that bad of an operator.

25. ErikAlbert

LOL. Does that make FDISR any better than ATI ? You can make mistakes in both and all other softwares as well. It's all the same for me and some people make more mistakes than others, because they are less carefull.
    That's the same as bugs in softwares, because programmers make also mistakes, they are just as human as users.
    The latest version has usually less bugs than the previous version.
    IMO this is common for all softwares. What is new about that?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.