FD-R: First Look

Discussion in 'FirstDefense-Rescue Forum' started by boonie, Mar 16, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. starfish_001

starfish_001 Registered Member

Sums up how I feel; I want Todd to be successful............. but the new version does not really work for me 1 snapshot and no archives - just as well use Comodo or Rollback or Acronis try and decide.

I might buy a it just out of loyalty - but it is not what I want particularly when the MBR can be rewritten and the old version just works

2. wideglide36

wideglide36 Registered Member

Thanks again boonie,

I may try the new version at some point, but not right now.

The original FD-ISR Pro works great for me, and I can't see where this new app improves on my current set up. Actually feel as though I would be paying to down grade. Makes no sense.

I'm still using Win Xp, so the Windows 7 point you brought up would not apply to me.

You really do explain things well.

I appreciate your help.

Thanks.

3. pandlouk

pandlouk Registered Member

I feel the same way.

Having said that, I am going to purchase a license of the new FD-R (even if I won't use it as it is now) mainly for two reasons:

1st. In the hope that Todd will manage to implement the feature that I asked. If he does, FD-R will become a new leggend, and I'll "jump" from FD-ISR to FD-R without second thought.

2nd (and most important): It is a way to show my grattitude to Todd and his team, because he continued to support us when the various resellers (in my case HorizonDatasys) have left us out in the cold....

Panagiotis

4. Meriadoc

Meriadoc Registered Member

Sorry pandlouk I missed that, can you link me up.

5. pandlouk

pandlouk Registered Member

You did not miss it. :p

I pmed Todd about it but unfortunantly I cannot give any info (neither in pubblic nor in private). :blink:

At least until Todd decides to implement it.

Panagiotis

6. Meriadoc

Meriadoc Registered Member

Lol, ah I understand now.

7. Leapfrog Software

Leapfrog Software Leapfrog Management

:-* Thanks guys! I really appreciate this.

Yes, unless hit by a bus, we are going to keep at it (bang head against wall again), strengthening the technology. We have an exciting roadmap going forward and along the way it will maybe even satisfy the toughest of critics.

Okay...back to work for me and the rest of the LSI team.

(No offense to anyone past, present, or future hit by a bus)

8. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

Todd, I've never been hit by a bus but you have saved my system many a time from being hit by a bus load of trouble! :cool:

Acadia

9. pratzert

pratzert Registered Member

I could not have said it any better !

I too ordered the latest iteration and hope that Todd has great success with the products he is working on.

In my dealings with Todd, he proved to be a great gentleman and went out of his way to help me.

Tim

10. demoneye

demoneye Registered Member

unless they add the missing feature this removed in FD-R , i don't gonna use it .:(

11. hany3

hany3 Registered Member

i'm really disappointed with the new FD-ISR rescue
    it misses essential features of the original FD-ISR moreover it still suffer some of the inhirited bugs of the original product like the naive year 2038 bug , i know it means nothing in itself but this reflects that the new version still uses the same outdated programming language

http://img704.imageshack.us/img704/4748/12017849.jpg

so i hardly find reasons to buy the new version other than having a full windows 7 support plus supporting the developing team for trying to resuscitate a dead amazing piece of software

so unless adding the ALL missing features like archiving and so on , plus fixing the inherited bugs from the original product to the new version , untill that time i won't even touch this new version

12. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

I would be happy if a third snapshot capability was added. Then I would have what I use now with the original: Primary, secondary (mirror of primary), and third for testing.:)

13. munckman

munckman Registered Member

As would I.;) If, Leapfrog were able to offer an option like this to its' Fans; I would certainly be purchasing. Some sort of multiple choice is all it would be all it would take. As to where or when a user would like to restoooooooooore to; would be great.. As this is not offered; just go back to imagining as your favorite type of Restore; as other types of "Instants" have there own issues. YMMV.

Bottom line - Use FD-R and/or find an alternative:'( If you happen to find something with the same basic concepts of FD-ISR with its' abilities please pm me.:doubt:

This post should not be interpreted as as a negative post. It is not meant as such.

14. Atomas31

Atomas31 Registered Member

Totally agreed :D

15. pinso

pinso Registered Member

What this is not like the previous FD-ISR no Archive and no Empty Snapshot :doubt: , Well they say old is gold.

16. Tony

Tony Registered Member

With regards to this part
    What exactly is "offline files" and is it safe to turn them off and leave them turned off with no adverse affects to the computer.

Is it files on the home network so you can access them when offlineo_O

17. boonie

boonie Registered Member

Yeah, they're copies of files stored on a network (home or office) that you can work on offline, and then synch when you reconnect.

I always turn this feature off.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2010
  18. Tony

Tony Registered Member

Thanks boonie :thumb:

19. trjam

trjam Registered Member

I have FD-ISR on 3 Vista computers. I got tired of looking for how to put it on my wifes windows 7 one. So I bought FD-R. Totally happy with it knowing the integrity that is in the product and that when the time comes, it will be ready. I personally dont need 10 snapshots and as times goes on, all my computers will have FD-R, but one. I have to keep a piece of history. But FD-R is worth every penny and if you dont use it, well it is foolish in my viewpoint.

20. trjam

trjam Registered Member

also, as long as I have been coming here, and I am a massive poster,o_O ,Todd has been coming here to assist people with a product that wasnt even marketed anymore. He had nothing to gain helping here, but he did. To me, that says something about integrity.:thumb:

21. ahriman

ahriman Registered Member

trjam: Totally agree! :thumb:

FD-R is superb. Does all I need as well.

22. TomAZ

TomAZ Registered Member

I have absolutely no experience with this program, so this is probably a very silly question, but here goes anyway ...

What happens if you do need to do a restore -- do you lose all of your program and data files -- or is it just a "system" restore and everything else remains as it was, similar to using Windows Restore Point?

I'm just not sure I really understand how all of this works, but it sounds interesting. By the way, I'm using Windows XP/SP3.

23. tobacco

tobacco Frequent Poster

Quite simple actually - after install, you create a "backup" or secondary snapshot - whatever you want to call it of your "C "partition or drive. If your system gets hosed or develop a software conflict, just reboot and before windows begins loading, FD will give you the option to boot into your backup snapshot which you can now use to update "fix" your system. Bring it back to the point before the trouble.

You should also make yourself familiar with disk imaging.

24. TomAZ

TomAZ Registered Member

That's helpful. I am familiar with disk imaging, but not with rollback type apps.

I assume then from what you've said, that you don't lose anything (data, programs, etc.) with the snapshot restore/reboot -- is that correct?

Also, approximately how much space does all of this take? For instance, if I have an 80MB HD with about 43MB free space, roughly how much space is the FD app and the snapshot going to take?

One other thing ... a few years ago, I remember reading something about not being able to defrag your HD when using this type of program. Is that still the case??

25. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

You can defrag with FirstDefense, it is the other rollback program, Rollback RX, that you cannot use defrag.

Acadia

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.