FD-ISR

Discussion in 'FirstDefense-ISR Forum' started by Long View, Jul 24, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Long View

Long View Registered Member

Finally had time to try out FD-ISR 3.2 Build 202 and Returnil 1.6.2.4107
    Installed FD-ISR with Returnil already installed and made a secondary snap shot.
    Turned Protection mode on and so far everything seems to be working fine.

I know that FD-ISR has its own freeze but it does take up more disk space and is slower at reboot - significantly slower on an old machine.

2. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

So you first installed Returnil and then FDISR ?
    I first installed FDISR and installed Returnil in my on-line snapshot.
    But I didn't have much time to work with this combination.

3. Long View

Returnil just happened to be on the machine that I chose to use. The install ordert may or may not be significant ? Returnil certainly seems less demanding than Deepfreeze 6 for example and seems to work well in different combinations.

I forgot to mention before one of the reasons, apart from lack of speed and drive space used, that I stopped liking FD-ISR freeze was that I would defragment with Perfect Disk, freeze and then later the drive would be fragmented. Ok it was not very fragmented but the process used by freeze was clearly producing a more fragmented drive than I would have liked. With Returnil
    I am getting consistently low figs like 6 with say 33 excess fragments o% fragmented.

4. Horus37

Horus37 Registered Member

The problem is that returnil doesn't like the offline defrag from PD8 in vista and will create errors. I suppose if you only use xp and never plan on using vista that won't be a problem but seems like both raxco and returnil folks don't want to fix the incompatibility.

5. Long View

I will use Vista when it works properly with all my hardware..... i.e when it is finished. For now Xp is just fine. I understand that Returnil are aware of the problem and are working on it. I would be surprised if Raxco are not also looking into the problem.

As a work around another program could always be used for offline. Once done and using Returnil it is not likely to be done again for some time. It really is great to boot to 5 with 25 excess fragments every time.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.