FD-ISR ~ ShadowUser -> engaged!

Discussion in 'FirstDefense-ISR Forum' started by wilbertnl, Jun 7, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

Bingo! These computer thingies with their millions of lines of computer code are simply too fragile to be pushed to hard, yeah, it's fun at times to do so, but we must be willing to pay the consequences if we insist on doing so, and not necessarily blame the software program (unless, of course, it is a Norton product :p ). Take care.

Acadia

2. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

With extreme I mean that you put a software in a minimum situation but within its possibilities.
    A minimum situation for ATI is when you have nothing but
    1. The Acronis Rescue CD
    2. One .tib-file containing your system partition
    3. A zero-ed harddisk.
    ATI is supposed to solve this and it does.
    There are users enough, who take a daily backup and never tried a recovery. What if it doesn't work?

Freezing during a defragmentation is asking for trouble, because it isn't within its possiblities anymore.
    Such a test is good to warn people not to do this and that it has been proven, that it causes errors.

3. crofttk

crofttk Registered Member

On your machine, THEN the period. It works fine on mine.SECOND PERIOD.

4. ErikAlbert

In that case you have a better defragger than me.
    Whatever it is, it's too late for me, I already paid for PerfectDisk. :)

5. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

In all fairness, did you try the freeze function with the defrag running. Might be a different scenario.

6. wilbertnl

wilbertnl Registered Member

In other words, don't try this:

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 11, 2006
  7. crofttk

You know, Erik, if you don't want to read all of my posts within a given thread, then why bother reading any ? I've only posted about one millions times in this forum and others here that I use PerfectDisk exclusively. It gets pretty irritating when you make a comment as if this is the first time you've read my posts and you act as if you don't know I use PerfectDisk.

As far as freezing, YES, I posted that I would get to it as soon as I coulld.

Now, ErikAlbert made a blunt unqualified statement that you can't defrag with Perfect Disk while doing other FD-ISR activities. That simply is not true as stated, and I proved that yesterday.

8. wilbertnl

wilbertnl Registered Member

When you test in order to find errors, you should be really really careful with conclusions.

Every tester knows: when you don't find errors or bugs, that doesn't mean that whatever you test is error or bug free.

Crofttk, you are right given the conditions of your test, and ErikAlbert is right given the conditions of his test.

9. crofttk

I totally agree, and I already said that. Why are you saying that to me, wilbertnl ?

Don't tell me I didn't prove anything, because I set out to prove that ErikAlbert is the one who should be careful with his conclusions. Apparently you didn't read that but that's really strange since you're the one that defined the test.

I tested the hypothesis that ErikAlbert was wrong to state what he did, and then I proved the hypothesis correct.

I just don't agree when ErikAlbert unilaterally states that something is so just because it's so for his system.

There's no use acting like a goose on a new day and preaching to me.

10. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Come on guys. I know it's easy to get impatient, and annoyed, but hey, we are all here for the same reason. To learn, and help each other.

Cheers to all.

Pete

11. ErikAlbert

You might have used another defragger than PerfectDisk to do the test with FDISR. How can I know what you are doing.
    Don't expect from me that I remember every software that each member is using.
    If we have different testing results that's ok with me.
    I made my point and everybody is entitled to believe or not to believe me.
    If I would believe everything what members tell about ATI, I would have never bought it, but I like to do my own tests.
    Sorry if I hurt your feelings. :)

12. crofttk

It's OK Erik, I'm over it now. I wrote in my post that I was using PD7 - PerfectDisk 7. Since I abbreviated it, I guess you missed that. wilbertnl proposed the test and that's what I was doing.

I'm sorry to both you and wilbernl that I got so frustrated. I'm happy to be here with ALL of you.

NOW, I still have a problem with this statement: "So we can FORGET about defragging during FDISR-activities, it simply doesn't work. Period." simply because you didn't add "with my system", i.e., it looks like you're saying that is the general case and that isn't true as I successfully defragged with PD7 "during FDISR-activities".

If ErikAlbert can be picky with programs, sometimes I can be picky with language.;)

FINALLY, I must add that I DID manage to crash "freezing" of my active snapshot once I tried specifically THAT activity with in the middle of defragging with PerfectDisk. The freezing process stopped with -- LOL !-- 4064 errors !

Now we know that this doesn't work with both ErikAlbert's and crofttk's systems !

But, there are still some FDISR activities that work OK while defragging with PerfectDisk, so I still think both programs are the greatest thing since sliced bread !:D (no, I'm NOT ready to use the "L" word yet).

13. crofttk

You're absolutely right and I hope everyone will accept my apology. I know it isn't my first apology and it probably won't be my last -- if the mods don't run me off.:ninja:

14. ErikAlbert

crofttk,
    Nevermind. I've seen alot worse and my statement was indeed blunt and I don't like to quarrel, my english vocabulary isn't good enough to start a verbal fight. LOL

Even when some FDISR-activities are safe during defragging, what's the point of taking the risk. PerfectDisk is just a defragger, that doesn't do anything else than that.
    I can do alot more with FDISR & ATI and the funny thing is that the most unimportant one - PerfectDisk - was causing all the problems with FDISR.

15. crofttk

Well, in case others of us want to also learn to do an "ErikAlbert Torture Test" !:D

16. ErikAlbert

LOL @ ErikAlbert Torture Test.

Tnere are still 4 things left, I didn't try yet in FDISR :
    1. Data Anchoring
    2. Create Empty Snapshot
    3. Snapshot Groups
    4. And do I really need that MBR floppy ? I hate floppies.

17. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

From the FD-ISR Manual:

"The MBR (Master Boot Record) is a single point of failure for your file system. If the MBR becomes damaged, the computer will be unbootable and you could lose your entire file system.

FirstDefense-ISR addresses this weakness by creating a MBR Backup Floppy that you can use to restore a damaged MBR."

Acadia

18. ErikAlbert

Yes, I've read that too, but that still doesn't convince me that I really need it.
    I still have ATI images to recover my system partition and MBR.

19. crofttk

There's also Windows Recovery Console and the fixmbr command. I got tired of putting in the floppies periodically and never having to use them so I gave up on them. But that's me --- others may get great comfort from doing that.

20. ErikAlbert

I guess these are also good alternatives to recover the MBR. Do they recover the FDISR-MBR as well ?

But when ATI does the same job in even more extreme situations (a zeroed harddisk, doesn't even have a MBR afaik), I can recover my system partition, including the MBR and all its FDISR-snapshots by using the Rescue CD.
    IMO this MBR floppy is only usefull, when you got nothing else than FDISR.

21. crofttk

Well, no, but nowadays as you know, afetr you recover the standard MBR, all you have to do is re-enable pre-boot once you are in Windows and FD-ISR will get its hook in (or alter the MBR, I reckon;) ) and re-establish the pre-boot access on the next boot.

22. ErikAlbert

Yes you are right. I forgot about it. That was Peter's solution too as an alternative for recovering the MBR with ATI and it worked.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.