FD-ISR Rescue pre-boot disabled

Discussion in 'FirstDefense-ISR Forum' started by chris1341, Oct 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chris1341

chris1341 Guest

Giving FD-ISR a whirl but having problems almost immediately. The Pre-boot is disabled. The help files only tell you this is bad, not how to resolve it. Most stuff I can find here and elsewhere refer to the older versions of the product which appear to more flexible and allow you to turn on/off from the Actions drop-down. Rescue does not appear to have this option. Any ideas?

I'm trying to run it on a new Vista system with three NTFS partitions - OS, Data and the manufacturers 'utilities' partition if thats any help.

On a secondary point where is the back-up stored? I ran it an noticed growth in the size of the C: partition but could not locate the snapshot.

Thanks

2. Tony

Tony Registered Member

To see where the ISR folder is stored you will have to enable hidden files in explorer.
    You will then find it located in C:\$ISR.

Sorry, but i cannot help you with your pre-boot problem.

3. chris1341

chris1341 Guest

Thanks Tony, found it. I'll keep looking a day or two longer for a resolution as if I could get it to work the product looks quite handy, if not I'll move on.

Cheers

4. rwt325

rwt325 Registered Member

Had the same problem and never got it resolved. Un-installing and re-installing the program did not work. Finally solved the problem by going to an older Acronis image.

Sorry I can't be more encouraging.

5. jwcca

jwcca Registered Member

You'd need at least 2 snapshots for Pre-boot to be useful/possible. What do you mean by 'backup'? Possibilities are: another snapshot or an archive. The snapshots are part of the c: drive, in the $ISR folder. Archives are not, they have to be in a different partition which may be on the same HDD as c: or, preferably on a different HDD/Flash/etc. The snapshots and archives are shown in the management console, if they exist. If only a Primary snapshot is shown, right click and select Copy/Update and follow through to create a new snapshot or an archive. If you are creating an archive, first specify the folder to contain the archive Tools > Options: Archives tab. jwc

6. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

I think he created a 2nd snapshot based on the disk space question. There are no archives in rescue.

Pete

PS Uninstall - reinstall is all I can think of to try.

7. Dark Shadow

Dark Shadow Registered Member

Hi chris,I assume your refering to FD-PC Rescue by HD.Did you copy update yet.Are you not seeing the preboot Hot Key F1 and pausebar.?I am running with vista 32bit for about 9 months working perfectly here.AS peter said you may need to uninstall,reinstall.

8. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

Hi there,

A couple of obvious things to ask if I may: When one first installs FD-ISR Rescue (which means your original OS and one snapshot only of your OS) you have to make sure to start the process of creating the clone snapshot (it took me 20 minutes to create mine) in my experience this was not automatically created by the installer. What I'm getting at is that if you have no snapshot you won't have any pre-boot command.

If that's not the case, then I would think a conflict with another software could be the reason.

9. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

This is a less then 2% chance but i have had this happen to me for no apparent reason before. Just a longshot but i found the Pre-Boot "unchecked" after posting my own issue why preboot no longer worked after working many months before.

Always worth a look n see in such a case to make darn sure that the pre-boot checkbox is indeed checked.

EASTER

10. Peter2150

I don't believe the option exists in FDISR-Rescue

11. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

Correction noted Pete, Thanks.

Still using the Classic FD-ISR here and after all this time still churning along perfectly.

EASTER

12. Dark Shadow

Thats exactly what I am thinking here.The snap shot is not an automatic thing.The reason I asked chris if he copy update yet. He/she can check processes of the following is running first to be sure its running.ISR monitor.exe and ISR services.exe processes or look in services for ISR service =running.Since No reply back either he/she has solved it or gave up with it so it would seem at least the thread.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2008
  13. chris1341

chris1341 Guest

Sorry guys I had kind of given up as no real responses for a couple of weeks. I have uninstalled but will try it again soon taking account of what's been said. I did though take an initial snapshot but as part of the instal. Will let you know.

Chris

14. chris1341

chris1341 Guest

Re-installed same issues. Copy/Update complete. ISR Service and ISRMonitor.exe are running.

Rescue version only allows one snapshot it calls 'backup area' to be created.

Tried reinstalling with AV/AS/Firewall HIPs turned off, same thing.

Conflict somewhere obviously. Sanboxie and Returnil (session lock NOT engaged though) also installed. Any known issues with these?

Not sure it's worth much more effort as I've never seen it work to know what I might be missing.

Thanks to everyone for their thoughts.

Cheers

15. Dark Shadow

I never had problems with any hips or retunil,sandboxie or shadow defender with first defense but I had FD perhaps on first but who knows every ones machine is different even machine with the exact same specs. what works for me may not for you and vise versa.Although I love FD-Rescue IMO anything that is that painfull to get off the ground and running is not worth it.PS sorry it did not work for ya.Cheers

16. DVD+R

DVD+R Registered Member

A sad but realistic problem with FD-ISR and FD-ISR Rescue is that you are almost certain to experience a time when needed, that you cant do a thing with these programs due to Gremlins. Unfortunately most of the problem arises when you want to boot to another snapshot and are greeted with the Message informing you some files are missing, And there you have it. If at this stage your computer wouldnt start, and you needed to boot to another snapshot, Your stuffed without a reinstallation of Windows. Rollback has similar problems, and Caution is recomended in using either without a Hard Backup.

17. Peter2150

Chris, I've used Returnil with the original FDISR with no issues. One thought though, as it sounds like it could be a conflict. Just disabling other security software isn't an adequate way to test. You need to uninstall it to be sure.

I gather no word from HorizonDatasys or any help from them?

18. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

I know you have probably lost interest in having it, but for the sake of argument, when you say "Rescue version only allows one snapshot it calls 'backup area' to be created." it is RIGHT. There are no other snapshots created than the one called backup + the original OS. Depending on which one you are booted in, rebooting to the rescue area means either to the original or the backup snapshot.

see this:https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=213037

19. pandlouk

pandlouk Registered Member

Can you post an image of the windows disk management tool? Maybe FD-Rescue gets confused with the order of the partitions and adds it's boot loader on the wrong partition.

Panagiotis

20. chris1341

chris1341 Guest

Peter2150, not a word from Horizon.

Pandlouk, as requested. A slightly different set up from when I originally posted. The unnamed partition noted is a Paragon Hard Disk Manager Back Up Capsule not installed when I was trying out FD-ISR

Cheers

Disk Management002.jpg

21. pandlouk

Hi Chris,

your partition structure seems fine. [I asked because I have seen some strange configurations on some laptops with 2 hidden partitions at the start and at the end of the disk and on those FD-ISR gave the same error.]

With paragon backup capsule is possible that FD-ISR will not work. Paragon bootloader redirects to the boot.ini and bypasses the FD-ISR preboot screen. Same issue with GRUB4DOS bootloader.

Try to restore/fix your MBR and then reinstall FD-ISR.

Panagiotis

22. stapp

stapp Global Moderator

pandlouk can you reach the pdf link in the Leapfrog post you linked to?

23. pandlouk

No, maybe Todd took it offline.

24. chris1341

chris1341 Guest

Thanks to all for their ideas but it's not worth it any more for me. I'll keep looking for alternatives.

Cheers

25. Leapfrog Software

Leapfrog Software Leapfrog Management

Yup, had to take that link offline. HDS has those docs now, but if anyone needs the LSI one, just PM or email me.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.