FD-ISR Freeze and Defrag

Discussion in 'FirstDefense-ISR Forum' started by Long View, Jun 17, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Long View

Long View Registered Member

I would like to use FD-ISR with a frozen snap shot but find that every time I reboot the snapshot needs defragmenting. Initially I thought that Perfect Disk 8 would be the best match for FD-ISR , then I tried Diskeeper.

I Know that I can use DeepFreeze 6 within a Snapshot but has anyone found a way to just use FD-ISR Freeze and not have to defrag at every reboot ?

2. Seer

Seer Registered Member

Hello Long View :)

Well, I have FD-ISR, but as I have never used frozen snapshots I am not quite sure what's happening here. I just find hard to believe this statement

o_O Man, I defrag once a year! OK, maybe twice. :p Have you tried PerfectDisk with FD-ISR in the end? I think there is a problem with Diskeeper and FD-ISR. It must be misinterpreting the fragmentation level somehow...

Cheers.

EDIT: You have intrigued me, so I have now checked my regular (un-frozen) snapshot with PerfectDisk. I have not defragged my HD for more than 2 months and it is 6,7% fragmented....

Last edited: Jun 17, 2007
  3. Long View

Hello The Seer

Have just restored a clean image and installed FD-ISR and Perfect Disk 8.
    No problem with ordinary snapshots but defrag a snap shot, freeze it and then reboot and its like the defrag never happened.

With so many saying how wonderful FD-ISR is using Freeze I am surprised that
    the combination works so badly.

Perhaps the problem is caused by the way Freeze works ? using the arx file to correct C; with no regard for file placement.

4. EASTER.2010

EASTER.2010 Guest

ErikAlbert might could shed some light on that since he is purposed for some time to make a lot of use from Frozen snapshot feature of FD-ISR.

Personally, i likely would use it too if not for Power Shadow Master :cool: ability to basically do the same thing without the overhead of taxing disc space or speed and now this defrag issue.

5. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

I use a frozen snapshot constantly, but I never cared much about defragging and I have other priorities. I try to do it once a month, but I usually do it, when I remember it. So I'm not a big help here.

6. Seer

Seer Registered Member

Hello again Long View. :)

I was never aware of such strange occurance with FD-ISR. Well, I keep FD-ISR as an Immediate System Recovery (archives), and I don't even use the snapshots (well, I have one - clean XP). I never tried freezing, I don't find it much usefull with my current setup. Good that I noticed this thread...

BTW Long View, what's the level of fragmentation (%)?

7. Long View

Problem solved. DeepFreeze 6 and Perfect Disk 8 work together to give me the
    best results. Initial Defrag reading of 0.0 . I would like to be able to continue to use FD-ISR and Freeze but neither Diskeeper nor Perfect Disk seem able to cope.
    certainly having no security programs slowing down an old machine gives it a new lease of life.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.