FD-ISR errors with NIS 2009

Discussion in 'FirstDefense-ISR Forum' started by Karen76, Dec 11, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pandlouk

pandlouk Registered Member

Contact Raxco support and they will send you the hotfix (is not included with the latest version).

Actually it wasn't FD-ISR issue, but a norton issue. I'm not sure if it vanished because of the pd hotfix or with the major update that norton had released, the day after I installed the hotfix. With NIS 16.1.0.33 and FD-ISR 3.31.233 I have no such problems.

Panagiotis

2. crofttk

crofttk Registered Member

Thanks, Panagiotis. I thought the latest PD2008 build - 67? - was supposed to adress the issue, but I saw others besides myself (at PDusers forum) say they couldn't do their non-system drives either, maybe I missed a subsequent hotfix. It's a moot point for me at the moment as I am doing the PD10 beta on all 6 of my machines, but I will keep it in mind once beta is done - for those that I end up reverting to PD2008 with, that is.:)

P.S. Same version of FD-ISR and 16.2.0.7 NIS 2009 for me, and no more problems with snapshots.

3. pandlouk

pandlouk Registered Member

You are welcome :) .
    The latest is build 64.

ps. can you pm me a link with some screenshots of the 10 beta, or are they available at the raxco forum?

Panagiotis

4. crofttk

Ah, sorry, Panagiotis, but I agreed not to disclose any info so I'd probably violate that giving out a screenshot, be it PM or otherwise. I know that the start of the beta is public info, so I had no qualms mentioning it. Sorry to hint around and then disappoint.:oops:

Certainly check the PDuser forum - I haven't been there in a couple of weeks.

5. Karen76

Karen76 Registered Member

Thanks for the suggestion; I checked the Norton forum a few days ago. I looked through several pages of posts as well as doing a key word search for "FirstDefense-ISR" and "FDISR" with no success.

I was surprised to learn your NIS/FD-ISR errors stopped when you upgraded to v3.31.233. That's the version I have on my Vista PC and it gets the same errors with NIS. From my limited knowledge of the changes between v3.21 build 205 and v3.31.233, I can't fathom why they would be affected by NIS 2009.

Nope. I've never had PD installed on my Vista PC. I briefly had the trial version of PD installed on my XP PC one or two years ago but I've reformatted it since then.

6. Birdman

Birdman Registered Member

http://community.norton.com/norton/board/message?board.id=nis_feedback&thread.id=25515

I started a thread on Norton's community forum about this very topic and I included a link to this thread here. Hopefully someone from Symantec will offer a solution to this issue because I received the ERRORS yet again today while trying to update my snapshot and I had to uninstall FD-ISR, run CHKDSK and re-install FD-ISR to get it to go error-free.

At this point, this is becoming a PITA to do this after every snapshot update.

7. Karen76

I registered on Norton's board and added a comment in your thread.

I recently tried your technique of uninstalling FD-ISR, running CHKDSK (which reported no problems) and reinstalling FD-ISR on my XP SP3 machine. That made no difference on my PC; the NIS-related snapshot errors still occurred.

Among the many things which baffle me about this situation is that some folks are using FD-ISR and NIS 2009 without having any conflicts and then there are the rest of us. It was a lot easier understanding the conflict between ProcessGuard and FD-ISR; a problem all PG/FD-ISR users had and which there was a common method of working around.

8. crofttk

You may have a point on changes between 205 & 233 being insubstantial. My anecdotal observation was just that and probably my assumption that my problem had to do with NIS pulse updates was unwarranted - although the log did have error messages in the App Data for NIS. I've had other instances where snapshot errors came and went but unfortunately haven't had the time to diligently track down the cause without question - not a totally comfortable situation but hard to ferret out on 6 machines when I'm not a pro.:p

It's good for me that Retrospect has had no hitches keeping everything backed up on its own - I just wish I was sure that both my belt and suspenders are intact.

Now you and Birdman have got me wanting to go over my logs with a fine toothed comb and confirm that snapshot errors have stopped as I believe. :doubt: That'll have to wait until the weekend.

Good Luck.

P.S. Did you give a try at anchoring any Norton related folders as a diagnostic exercise? Just a thought...

Last edited: Dec 15, 2008
  9. Karen76

In one of his posts on the Norton forum, Birdman mentioned he only started experiencing FD-ISR errors after NIS 2009 installed an update last week. I thought I'd check and see if a minor change in NIS versions made a difference on my XP PC.

I rebooted into my Secondary Snapshot, uninstalled Avira and Online Armor, rebooted then installed a 90-day trial of NIS 2009. This was v16.0.0.125 and it said the signature definitions were 108 days old. I copy/updated my Alternate Snapshot with no errors reported. Then I created a new snapshot which resulted in 50 errors listed in FD-ISR's activity log.

I ran NIS's LiveUpdate which downloaded and installed 11 updates totaling 15.31 MB. The version number remained the same. I didn't get a message saying to restart my PC but I knew that would be required before NIS would process additional updates. After rebooting, I ran LiveUpdate again which downloaded/installed 18 more updates totaling 20.12 MB then told me to restart. After rebooting, NIS was v16.1.0.33.

I created a new snapshot and 60 errors were reported. Whatever is causing this problem, both the previous and current versions of NIS 2009 are producing snapshot errors when I run FD-ISR. I find it interesting some folks using NIS 2009 and FD-ISR aren't experiencing any errors; Birdman just encountered them after NIS installed an update last week; and I get the conflict on my PC regardless which version of NIS 2009 is running.

10. crofttk

Strange that you have 16.1.0.33, same as pandlouk, and you did that just recently.

But if I open NIS and click Help & Support, About, it says Version: 16:2.0.7 I wonder why, something to do with my add-on pack(s)?
    Untitled-1.jpg

11. osip

osip Registered Member

fdisrNis.png

and, BTW, I'm still with NIS 16.1.0.33...

12. Longboard

Longboard Registered Member

@Karen @ Birdman:
    AS noted I have just done a clean install on new HW of XpSp3 apart form some data files, I have installed FDISR before connecting to www, did the config stuff rebooted, used CCleaner to tidy up and took a snap; No errors.
    (Virtually nothing installed other than bare MS.)

Then FF, PrevX2.0 and NIS2009.

Ran the Live Update, did configs, Updated XP rebooted as suggested/required : took a snap:
    PrevX at Highest protection.
    NISwith auto-protect on, Auto Updates off.
    40 errors !!
    :mad: :eek: o_O
    I have looked through the log file and all the errors seemed to refer to non- NIS files, but all were "in use by another process" not sure why non-system files eg KBUninstall etc are "in use"

So reboot ( lol one of many tonight)
    Immediately took another snap with out altering any other configs in NIS or Prevx: all clear :)
    I had turned off the Auto-updates in NIS
    I have not altered the self protection.

So unless I accumulate the usual crud over time that might screw with FDISR, I would have to suggest that there may be something else on your set-up ?? Sorry

I'll do a few more tests as time goes by: do you want a copy of my log to compare ??

Had to laugh at the chap from the Norton Community who sounded a bit condescending re FDISR as discontinued software: he'll never know. :cautious: ;)

This bothers me in other ways as well; re: The VSS function which is meant to freeze the "image" for the snapshot production: How many other Imaging apps might be accumulating some errors if using these VSS tools. ??

It will be a sad day - if it ever comes- when FDISR is no longer a viable option. I know only software: but been so very good.
    Regards

13. crofttk

Dang, Longboard, the things you do to pass the time!

I've checked through logs on two of my desktops, different hardware & more or less identical software and am getting no errors on snapshot UPDATES. Alas, I am hard pressed for time to try making fresh snapshots or I would chip in with some of my own testing.

Believe it or not, I'd like to reproduce any errors so I can know the devil a little better (better the devil you know?).

I noticed that recently when I did some Windows updates on a machine, it picked up another update on a second pass just to make sure - wondering if you made a 2nd pass at Windows Update on your clean install to make sure all was done? Nevertheless, it sounds like a pretty decent test bed.

Just out of curiosity, did your NIS install end up at 16.1.0.33 also?

14. Karen76

Most (but not all) of the errors I reviewed in my activity logs were of non-NIS files. However, these snapshot errors only occurred when NIS 2009 was installed.

o_O Am I missing something in your post? After doing installations on a "clean" PC, you created two FD-ISR snapshots with NIS 2009 present; one had 40 errors and the other none. It sure seems to me that we have the same problem; not just my "set-up." I don't get errors with every copy/update I run with NIS installed, just some of them. My experiences are that NIS-related errors are far more likely to occur when creating new snapshots than copy/updating existing ones. However, I wasn't getting any FD-ISR errors until I installed NIS 2009 and I don't get any when I uninstall it. What caused your 40 errors if it wasn't NIS 2009?

No, thanks. I've reviewed all the FD-ISR activity logs I care to for a while. :cautious:

I didn't see any point in responding to him since his comment was off-topic and he could get his question answered by reviewing the FD-ISR forum here. It's easy for folks who never used FD-ISR to dismiss how valuable it is. In a recent post here on Wilders, a member suggested ShadowProtect was a substitute for FD-ISR. IMHO no conventional imaging program is remotely capable of the versatility of FD-ISR. There is literally no software I consider as essential for my PCs than FD-ISR. The fact it's "discontinued" strains credulity.

I think this is a NIS 2009 problem, not a FD-ISR or VSS problem. Why it's only affecting some NIS/FD-ISR users remains a mystery.

Perhaps my Masochism Index is getting pegged out as I'm losing interest in further experimentation with NIS 2009. I've lost count of how many times I've reinstalled NIS and had to repeatedly click out of that cursed Norton Account nonsense every time I access the NIS GUI.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2008
  15. Longboard

Current circmstances have changed a bit: got a lot of spare time :blink:

Un fortunately I confirm re Karen and Birdman as to repeated errors with NEW snapshots. Redo copy = no errors. :(

No errors to archives

Did a litle experiment: new snap of Primary: errors x 20.
    Chkdsk/f > some errors fixed.
    Redid copy of copy = 40 errors. !

New copy of Primary after chkdsk with NIS and PrevX "on" = 20 errors
    Errors related to some system files and Norton IS Program files.
    Have seen errors from Px data files as well.
    Immediate redo copy of Primary = No errors.

o_O :(
    Poop.

Interestingly my Image for windows could not lock the system with PHYlock until I turned off NIS and PrevX: ( well I waited 10 minutes ) that has not happened before.
    This is an older version Of IFW: 1.7a: will update and recheck.

So out of all this haphazard stuff there appears to be a problem with something between SP3, VSS, Px, NIS, and some unlockable files ??
    As these are the 'new' combos I have set-up.

Damn.
    IFW has NEVER failed before. That is a worry.

@Karen:
    :)

I aint smart enough to sort this out :gack:

I'm going to update IFW and give that another run.
    Perhaps FDISR is fading a bit: I hope not I would really like it to stay.

WIth any luck, Todd will have a visit.
    I hope so.

Do you think it is ok to trust the redo copy/s that is/are showing no errors ??
    Or is it just reproducing the same initial errors??
    Error free Archives??

Keep going you guys : there might be a solution some where.

regards.

16. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Now you folks have me curious. Am I correct that if I only use NIS009 with archives I won't see a problem. What about creating a new archive.

Also want to test Shadowprotect and see what happens.

Pete

17. Peter2150

Well so much for that idea. Are they nuts. I don't mind giving my name, address and email to download a trial, but they want a credit card, and they they say in the small print, your protection will start automatically at the end of the trial, so you have to cancel the )(&*(^*& thing.

Will happen on a cold day, you know where.

Pete

18. Karen76

I've received errors with NIS 2009 when copying/updating archive as well as regular snapshots.

<Snip>

I understand to register for a Norton Account they want your telephone number, too. What's "nuts" is there actually are sheeple who docilely comply with such nonsense. What's next? Giving Symantec a DNA sample?

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 17, 2008
  19. Birdman

Birdman Registered Member

I have officialy dumped NIS 2009 after it completely effed up my system during a FD-ISR snapshot update.

I received 25,300+ errors (yes you read it correctly) after my last attempt to update a snapshot. Windows XP would no longer boot and FD-ISR would not work either (got a RED error code on the pre-boot menu).

I'm done with this Symantec/Norton BS.

20. Karen76

Congratulations! That should handily qualify you for the new Guinness World Record for the largest number of errors in a FD-ISR snapshot. :cautious:

Well, that killed any lingering notion I had of experimenting any further with NIS 2009. The combination of Avira AntiVir and Online Armor is looking better and better. :)

21. stapp

stapp Global Moderator

Karen that combination is what I use along with FD-ISR and have had no problems so far.

22. Peter2150

Didn't keep Avira, but had it one for a while with FDISR, and OA with no issues at all.

Pete

23. osip

osip Registered Member

Today I updated NIS snapshot once again without errors before running liveupdate with an update of 9.63MB with the result of v 16.2.07 after reboot...Then, I got an aut. win update with reboot and made an immediate test copy/update again without errors... The last as following:
    fdisr_nisupd.png

With total understanding of all concerns and problems regarding this combo I just once again amazingly can report that I do not have a sign of a problem...

24. crofttk

DITTO, last night on 3 Dell desktops and 3 Dell laptops. 4 snapshots and 2 archives on one of the desktops.

25. Longboard

Hey all
    I'm still experimenting..
    Also updated NIS, installed and uninstalled a bunch of stuff: and no errors with copy/update of previously made FDISR snapshots.
    No errors copying both ways.
    No errors updating archives.

Both Bird and Karen are also referring to errors with making new snapshots.
    I'll get to that later today.

IFW v1.7a made verified image with no probs and no delays.

@Osip and Crofttk
    How about you guys make some new snaps too and see how we go. ??

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.