FD-ISR doesn't boot from primary snapshot

Discussion in 'FirstDefense-ISR Forum' started by newbino, Oct 5, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. newbino

newbino Registered Member

Hi,

I am using FirstDefense-ISR 3.31.233 with XP SP3.

Yesterday I wanted to trial a new software so I updated my Primary Snapshot archive before installing it. Run the installer, played around with it for a while and then decided it was not for me.
    So I booted in my Secondary Snapshot (I follow Peter's approach, it's basically an XP fresh install + updates + OA free), copy/updated my Primary Snapshot from the archive and rebooted to it, expecting to find the new software install gone.

Instead, I got a message that hal.dll was missing or corrupt and windows could not be booted - very strange as I never had any problem with it before. So I reinstalled from an image and everything seemed to be working fine until I decided to test FD-ISR, followed the same procedure and obtained the same error.

Practically speaking, if I restart the pc from the image I have no problem or messages, but if I run FD-ISR and try to boot from the Primary Snapshot when I am in Secondary, I get the error message.

Can anybody suggest how to handle this? Thanks

Last edited: Oct 5, 2008
  2. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

If I understand your story right, I would boot to your 2nd snapshot because you know it's a good one, and copy/update the primary from the secondary. Now your primary should be good too. Then you can re-boot to the primary, and you'll have 2 snapshots that are good. Now you can copy/update your archive from the new good primary. :D

3. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Shouldn't have to do that, but still not a bad idea to try and fix it.

Pete

4. newbino

twl845, I would have a good primary, but if I follow you I would be missing all my software installs and system tweaks that I made after creating the secondary - I'd rather not do this unless as last resort.

But, thinking along these lines, maybe I could uninstall FDISR (keeping the secondary archive) and reinstall it, create new primary and secondary snapshots and then copy/update the secondary snapshot from the original secondary archive.

This would seem to take much less time - any comments?

5. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

When you say the above, I can't understand what you're saying. You say run FD-ISR, which I take to mean press F1. How do you boot from the primary AND be in the secondary?

6. newbino

You are right, I have not been clear - by the above I mean:
    1. I restored from an image with no problem and run the primary for a while. A pc reboot showed no error and worked fine.
    2. Booted to secondary in FDISR - no problem
    3. Rebooted to the primary from the secondary and voila - there I got the error message again. Had to reinstall the image anew.

7. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

OK, You were in the secondary snapshot, and you rebooted and attempted to boot into the primary and got the error. Right? Could it be possible that one snapshot/archive is XPsp2 and the primary is XPsp3,? :blink: Just guessing

8. newbino

Nice try :)
    No, both snapshots/archives are of SP3, the secondary basicallly is the XP fresh install, the primary the updated system

9. newbino

Ok, solved the problem.

For lack of a better alternative, I:
    1. uninstalled FDISR (keeping the secondary archive of my XP fresh install)
    2. reinstall FDISR
    3. create a new secondary snapshot
    4. copy/updated the secondary snapshot from the original secondary archive

No problem after rebooting in primary, or booting in secondary and from there booting back into primary.

Just wish I knew what the problem was.

Thanks for your help.

10. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Glad you got it solved. As to the cause. Who knows. We never know sometimes, but the uninstall reinstall seems to clear the cobwebs.

Pete

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.