FD-ISR Beta plus RollbackRx on Vista and XP

Discussion in 'FirstDefense-ISR BETA Forum' started by silver0066, Feb 17, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. silver0066

silver0066 Registered Member

I have been experimenting with some setups and have discovered the best combination in my experience in playing around with this stuff.

FD-ISR (new beta version) was installed with both XP Pro and Vista snapshots. I am using RSS mode with First Defense.

Leapfrog has moved the pre-boot code from the Master Boot Record to the Partition Boot Record in the new beta version. Since this version does not use the MBR, I was able to install RollbackRx, (FD-ISR on steroids) but Rollback does not have Archiving.

Rollback was installed into both the First Defense XP and Vista snapshots using the Rollback multiboot option.

It's preboot screen precedes the FD-ISR pre boot screen. Now I have the advantage of very quick multiple snapshots, less than 5 seconds, using relatively little disk space, coupled with the abiltity to keep external updated FD-ISR archives.

Because Rollback is in the MBR before FD-ISR, all the same snapshots show up whether I am in the Vista or XP FD-ISR snapshots. I haven't tried going back to a snapshot with Rollback into another First Defense snapshot yet, but it should work. I will try it after making a good image with Acronis.

Some of you gurus might give this a try. I think you might be amazed at it's flexibility, speed and features.

Silver

Last edited: Feb 17, 2007
  2. dja2k

dja2k Registered Member

Will reverting back using RollbackRx affect snapshots of FD-ISR? Would reverting back with FD-ISR keep all the snapshots of RollbackRx?

dja2k

3. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

I am curious about this also. Athletes on steriods also have enhance performance until they get busted.

Beat up hard on it silver and keep us posted.

Pete

4. silver0066

Since FDISR runs in a partition after the MBR, it will not restore any RollbackRx snapshots.

RollbackRx will restore FDISR snapshots that are located on the C drive. I keep my FDISR snapshots on an external drive which can be restored easily but I then have to reinstall Rollback.

RollbackRx version 8 is supposed to be out today and from what I have heard you will be able to archive RollbackRx snapshots with this new version.

5. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

6. Peter2150

Given my early results with Rollback, it's would be a looooong time, before I'd trust Rollback with Bare Metal Restores. I'll pass I think

7. sukarof

sukarof Registered Member

Same here, Rollback was a bit treacherous coz I was really happy with RB for two or three months after I paid for it and it suddenly corrupted all snapshots (except baseline) it is hard to gain confidence again for such software. They probably fixed those problems with version 8 but it feels a bit silly to pay full price for it again after being a paying "beta tester" before :) Well, tbh I did buy it for a 50% discount, but hey thats their customer policy so I´ll stick to the software I know works. But I still envy those who have no problems with it :)

8. ErikAlbert

Sometimes I have the need to say something good about RollbackRx. I said so many bad things about it.
    If they ask me to try it, my answer is NO.

I'm not interested anymore in RollbackRx after reading hundreds of posts about it. This never happened to FDISR.
    Good softwares have a quiet forum.

9. silver0066

I just installed RollbackRx v8 DEMO. The Application Module pops up a message stating Rollback is not installed. The Tray Icon does not come up.

Back to First Defense and Rollback7.

PS New Edit
    My apologies to Horizon Data Systems. I was installing on multiboot system and only installed on first boot when I made the above comments. After installing on second boot system, Vista, everything is working as advertized. I have not tried the backup snapshot yet, but wanted to clarify my unwarranted criticism of the product. This could really be a winner!!

Last edited: Mar 20, 2007
  10. Peter2150

ROFL. Let me see if I understand you. Not quite ready to rely on for Bare Metal Restore.:D

11. silver0066

No way!! Acronis for that.

12. ErikAlbert

Does that mean that Acronis backups and restores ALL snapshots of RollbackRx and not the baseline snapshot only ?

13. silver0066

Acronis does not restore any of the Rollback snapshots. Rollback has to be reinstalled after a Recovery from the Boot Disk.

14. ErikAlbert

EazFix is a clone of RollbackRx.
    According this guy, Acronis True Image works for EazFix, so I assume also for RollbackRx.

Source : https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=143872&page=5&highlight=eazFix/Rollback post 120
    Everybody seems to have different results with RollbackRx/EazFix. :)

Last edited: Mar 20, 2007
  15. dja2k

dja2k Registered Member

Where did you get v8 DEMO to clarify your findings cause right now, I would say don't even bother with the pile of junk of v7 which I can't even install.

dja2k

16. ErikAlbert

http://www.horizondatasys.com/169614.ihtml

17. dja2k

dja2k Registered Member

That DEMO there is for version 7.2.1 not version 8.

dja2k

18. osip

osip Registered Member

In this case it seems as ATI was used making an image of MBR and track 0 (the whole physical disk)and obviously this works with rollback rx/Eazfix snapshots...ATI image of a partition won´t capture the snapshots...But,indeed,when and if RBrx v8 will be stable and reliable it could turn out to be the ultimate in this field...

Rollback Rx pro v8:
    http://www.horizondatasys.com/files/RollBack Rx/Downloads/Rollback_Rx_Rro_Version8.zip

19. Atomas31

Atomas31 Registered Member

You've got to click on the download trial button wich should bring you on the page that you see on my screenshot (http://www.horizondatasys.com/page.aspx?id=172151)

Attached Files:

20. dja2k

dja2k Registered Member

Dammit I must be blind! Thanks guys and sorry I am so stupid.

dja2k

21. Peter2150

Hmm

Off to a good start. Pro is spelled wrong.

22. silver0066

My apologies to Horizon Data Systems for my earlier criticism on this thread.

I was installing on multiboot system and only installed on first boot when I made the above comments.

After installing on second boot system, Vista, everything is working as advertised.

I have not tried the backup snapshot yet, but wanted to clarify my unwarranted criticism of the product. This program could really be a winner!!

23. ErikAlbert

The unbackupable RBRx has now a backup feature.

24. Peter2150

Do you know if it now supports raid. Also I will get real interested when you done about 100 backup and restores, wiping out the disk in between.

25. dja2k

dja2k Registered Member

Hey Peter, have you installed V8 yet on your RAID setup? I couldn't get V7 to install, so haven't tried V8 yet.

dja2k

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.