FD-ISR & Ace Utilities

Discussion in 'FirstDefense-ISR Forum' started by ErikAlbert, May 24, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pvsurfer

pvsurfer Registered Member

Acadia~ That would be nice, but it simply is not the case. Windows XP's Add/Remove Programs (and most uninstall programs of software products) do NOT completely clean up associated entries from the registry. Admittedly, those residual entries usually won't cause serious problems, but they do eventually clutter the registry and result in slower performance. ~pv

2. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

True, but TuneUp Utilities 2006 has an ignore function without multiple selection.
    AMUST too, but the author will consider it to fix this in the next version(s).
    After all this is easy to do for a programmer and isn't really something new, just an improvement of the already existing ignore function of AMUST.

3. Leapfrog Software

Leapfrog Software Leapfrog Management

Greetings ErikAlbert,

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\PDUnmovableFiles\$ISRBIN

This entry is added by us. It informs PerfectDisk (one great defragger) not to mess with the file. I was looking at the installer code, and we do remove that entry. I also tested, our latest version x.166, on two lab systems and the installer does remove the entry. The installer must have *burped* (dhat is da technical term)

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts\.arx

This is a mystery. To my knowledge, we never create the association for .arx, even though this is the extension of our archives. I confirmed this in the installer code and on a lab test system. Could it be another application that is using it?

4. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

Just a wild guess, because I'm not qualified, I'm just an observer LOL.
    Is it possible that MS Windows creates this registry during the installation of FD-ISR?
    The only change I did in FD-ISR was changing the folder for .arx-files, I keep them on my data partition, not system partition.

5. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

I must respectfully disagree. Unless you are an EXTREME user, for example a gamer, cleaning the registry in XP simply is not necessary. I know that they are fun to play with, and give you geeks something else to do with your pc, but if the vast majority of folks don't need it, that is, 98% of pc users, tens, if not hundreds of million of people, then geeks probably don't either. Heck, most folks don't even know what you mean by "registry cleaner". The only time I ever needed a registry cleaner in XP was when I could not install a new anti-virus; I got a message that Norton was still on my system. I knew better, because I had just un-installed Norton. But sure enough, after deleting 4 Norton registry items, the new AV installed. ;)

Acadia

6. Leapfrog Software

Leapfrog Software Leapfrog Management

As for the installer, we have to implicitly place extension associations there.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.