FBI Tracking Device Teardown Mirror (PDF link)

Discussion in 'privacy general' started by lotuseclat79, May 14, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lotuseclat79

lotuseclat79 Registered Member

2. CloneRanger

CloneRanger Registered Member

Yeah saw it somewhere else, but the PDF goes into more detail :thumb:

No secret now :D

3. Carver

Carver Registered Member

In step 6 there are 2 grades of thread locker IE full strength (300 °F is needed to soften) and Half strength. I used full strength to attach the drive gear on the distributer of my car. To remove class 12 screws Nitrated drill bits and easy outs are needed to fully remove screw.

4. nix

nix Registered Member

Nifty. If I'm lucky enough to find one, I'm definitely not giving it back. :D

5. J_L

J_L Registered Member

Nice, finally some physical evidence.

6. Carver

Carver Registered Member

Why keep the tracker you already gave the FBI your location, you can make it appear that your some where that your not by planting the tracker on someone else perhaps a Taxie or change the target parameters to a frequency of a cell phone that is of rival company's CEO or put the tracker in the wheel-well of a plane.

7. nix

nix Registered Member

It was reported that this particular device is at least six years old, which might partially clarify ifixit's note about the ancient (1999) module providing the GPS signal processing. That aside, I think it's really a neat piece of work. Step 8 shows the hand-soldered components.
    http://www.eweek.com/c/a/Security/T...evice-Reveals-GPS-Long-Battery-Life-698205/1/

Yes, they actually utilize these without a warrant. And the Ninth Circuit says they can. The Obama Administration has apparently asked for U.S. Supreme Court review on another case out of D.C. where the the Court said a warrant should be required.

The FBI demanded that Afifi return his. That seems unsporting, somehow. They screwed up. No warrant, apparently no real probable cause to precede its placement, and then he found it and now he's suing them. How many more ways could that go wrong, except if he actually kept it?

Once he had it in his hands, he should have forced them into court to get it back. No way would I "voluntarily" hand back a tracking device to FBI, on the street no less, unless I saw a warrant which described the device with particularity. How can they prove it's theirs? Am I to take their word for it, right then and there? They could seize it, of course. And probably would. But I think I would be within my rights to not offer cooperation.

8. CloneRanger

CloneRanger Registered Member

:D You got the right ideas though ;)

Trust you to pick out electronic thingies :D But yeah, a custom job !

Yeah read about the Yasir Afifi case, interesting ;) Wonder how it'll pan out ?

Very good points :thumb: I expect though, in the heat of the moment, most people would be intimidated ny the spooks & just believe they had the right/s to take it & whatever :(

9. Searching_ _ _

Searching_ _ _ Registered Member

This was my point in the older thread, but you made it more succinctly here. To prove that it is theirs they would need to provide a paper trail that can be used in a lawsuit against them.

Any remote tracking device must transmit a signal. If it transmits a signal it can be detected by sniffing the RF ranges of common tracking frequencies. Of course not everyone has or knows how to use a frequency scanner.

What if your auto-mechanic has a tracking hobby, having your car for 24 hours and working on it outside your presence? He could place one in a location that requires a tear down to discover it's presence.

If connected to the batteries of the vehicle, the electrical system will exhibit anomalies. A simple volt meter can detect it's presence and it's location determined by a wiring diagram.

They are quite invasive devices that when used without a warrant are Constitutionally erosive. When law enforcement wants to be effective and successful at any cost, that can mean pretending the Constitution doesn't exist and then they will be abusive of the rights you believe in. When it's not a government for the people by the people, it's a government for the people by the overlords, and only a vigilant people can return to their original ideals.

Last edited: May 15, 2011
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.