Favourite browser (January - June 2011)

Discussion in 'polls' started by 3GUSER, Jan 3, 2011.

?

Which is The Browser (January-June 2011)

Poll closed Jul 2, 2011.
  1. Internet Explorer 9

7.3%
  2. Internet Explorer (older version)

6.1%
  3. Mozilla Firefox 4

22.2%
  4. Mozilla Firefox (older version)

18.0%
  5. Opera 11

16.5%
  6. Opera (older)

0.8%
  7. Google Chrome dev/beta

4.6%
  8. Google Chrome (stable)

18.0%
  9. Safari 5

0.8%
  10. Safari (older)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  11. Other (which one?)

5.7%
  1. Hungry Man

Hungry Man Registered Member

There definitely is a big difference between the two.

I've seen those screenshots. I've just never run into it myself. So it's obviously not an issue for me.

And if I were really interested in balancing proper rendering with security I would use IE9, which renders just as well if not better than firefox while providing more security options. They also benchmark just about the same.

If you think FF is secure enough, that's fine. This all started with me saying that I can't find any redeeming qualities of FF. That's still the case because nothing has been relevant to me personally. Were I having legitimate issues with Chrome not rendering pages correctly I'd just hop onto IE9 and use that.

If I'm suggesting a web browser to someone I ask them what's important to them first. I usually end up putting firefox on most people's computers simply because they're more familiar with it.

Many people have opted into using Chrome and I've updated many people to IE9.

2. ReverseGear

ReverseGear Guest

IE9 may me be the most secure but its also crap
    no customization , no addon , no theme
    and i dnt knw if its just me but working with many tabs in ie is a pain...in ff and chrome even if there are many tabs i can switch them properly..ie hangs or doesnt switch sumtimes...not to mention no proper adblocker for ie

as for security is till dont understand whats the difference between chrome and ff
    if u accidentally download malware from a site will chrome scan that and tell its malicious ? and most users use a download manager so it wont evem get downloaded by chrome or ff and go directly to the download location
    and if that download location is sandboxed by sandboxie it cant do anythng...chrome's sandbox wont do a damn thng

3. Hungry Man

Most users definitely do not use a download manager. And you can stack sandboxie and Chrome no problem...

The difference between Chrome and Firefox in terms of security is simple. Firefox keeps plugins and tabs separate but all plugins have access to other plugins and all tabs have access to other tabs (and the js renderer) so if one tab goes rogue it can effect all tabs. If one plugin goes rogue it can effect all plugins.

4. CJsDad

CJsDad Registered Member

Firefox 4 here.

Very entertaining thread for a poll, quite comical.

5. PJC

PJC Very Frequent Poster

Want me to accept that IE9 and Chrome are even more Secure than FF+Security Add-ons?
    Fine. No problem, as I use all four (4) Browsers.

Now, let's go to the Functionality aspect:

Example 1

User X has 110 Favorites and, she wants to have them organized the way she wants:
    Non-Alphabetically Listed! (Unlike the way IE9 restores them every-time they Export & Import Favorites!)
    User X likes surfing a lot, she likes to Export/Import her Favorites, and use them on many PCs:
    Work, Home, Friends/Relatives etc.
    Remember User X wants her Favorites to be exactly the Way she wants them to be!
    What do you do when she complains about IE9 inability to maintain Export & Import
    Favorites the way (Non-Alphabetically Listed) she wants?
    Go for Chrome? Go for Opera?
    What if she starts Complaining about Webpage-Rendering Problems?
    Go for Firefox and Never listen any more Complains! ;) :cool:

Example 2
    User Y is running XP on an old PC which she wants to keep it that way (=No Hardware Update).
    Can I try another browser except for IE8?
    A friend told her to try Opera (which is well-known in Europe).
    Everything goes fine till the day her grandson tries to play Flash Games with Opera. Failure!
    Apart from the problems with her Yahoo! e-mail pages...!
    She requests for for another Browser.
    Go for Chrome? What if she starts Complaining about Webpage-Rendering Problems?
    Go for Firefox and Never listen any any more Complains! ;) :cool:

Moral:
    Firefox is the User-Friendliest Browser!
    Ideal for Not hearing Complains! ;) :cool: :D
    I ended up putting FF on most people's computers, because I don't want to
    hear them Complaining about Browser-related problems.
    They have Never complained about Browser-related problems Again,
    and I've found a peace of mind! :cool: :D :D :D

Last edited: May 20, 2011
  6. elapsed

elapsed Registered Member

So you're saying Firefox is a flawless browser that no one ever complains about?

7. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

Where does that come from?

8. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

And the same holds true for IE9 :D. Perfection exemplified :D

This thread is getting funnier by the moment.

9. elapsed

But I never made any claim that IE9 was perfect, anywhere. I didn't claim that making people use IE9 removed any complaints about browsing. Did I Mr. Vasa1? Feel free to have a chuckle over that. ;)

10. Hungry Man

Common sense? I would bet money that most users use chrome without a download manager. I'd bet most users don't have more than 2 or 3 extensions at all.

I'd bet the average user doesn't know what the hell a download manager is.

edit:

Never ever would I recommend Opera. No reason to. I've never had a complaint from anyone about Chrome, IE9, or Firefox (except that people hate 4.0.) I get the odd confusion complain where they don't know what to do for each of them. If anything I hear about Firefox more but that's completely irrelevant to the right browser for me.

11. PJC

PJC Very Frequent Poster

No, I'm saying that when I installed Chrome and Opera,
    I heard a lot of Complains coming mostly from Web-page rendering problems.
    By far, more Complains compared with the ones coming from IE/FF users!

Now, if you believe that IE9 is a Flawless browser, I don't.
    No Browser is Flawless!
    Flawless in one thing and User-Friendliness is a different one...;)

-What IF a User insists on Trying Opera, because she heard about it?
    -What IF a User insists on having Opera installed, although I do Not recommend Opera, too?

Last edited: May 21, 2011
  12. elapsed

Looks like we can agree on something! ;)

13. Hungry Man

than... good for them?

14. J_L

J_L Registered Member

That's not it, there's about:config, more comprehensive addons, and various profile tweaks such as userChrome.css.

Anyhow, each to his/her own.

15. yongsua

yongsua Registered Member

I think we should only vote for our favorite browser and just post the reason why do we like it.That's all.No need to say any negative stuff of other browser that you don't like it.

16. Hungry Man

about:config is a joke. It's basically a sandbox for articles to say "Speed up firefox!" even though all of google's information (it has quite a lot) has been poured into optimizing its settings.

99% of the stuff there users wouldn't even know what to do with.

17. Hungry Man

I agree but people shouldn't have misconceptions on what their product can and can't do.

18. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

The closest you came to that was to imply that IE9 is complete in that it doesn't require add-ons. You'll appreciate that I won't hunt down the relevant post(s).

19. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

Does this make any sense at all?

20. J_L

J_L Registered Member

Clearly a comment from a Firefox hater.
    Chrome's settings are the joke. You can only configure the bare necessities. About:config is far more than just for speed, it allows you to tweak virtually everything in the browser.

21. Hungry Man

I used firefox for years. I'd happily use it again.

I've already said that firefox wins in terms of customizability but most of the useful customizations lie in the UI.

22. mrgigabyte

mrgigabyte Registered Member

firefox number 1 it my book

23. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

This is one of my minor grouses.

Apart from prefs.js (which has the about:config tweaks) and user.js (if any), some settings are in localstore.rdf (the changes we make using the Customize palette). Other settings are in permissions.sqlite.

So in order to keep track of things, in addition to the bookmarks, passwords, and history, there are at least a couple of other files that store tweaks.

Incidentally, if you look at about:config, prefs.js, localstore.rdf and some of the .sqlite files, you'll notice that they don't "clean up". By that I mean that if you install an extension and even immediately uninstall it, some information is still retained though it clearly isn't needed anymore.

24. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

One more instance of a tweak being stored elsewhere:
    I routinely delete a submenu in Bookmarks (Latest Headlines) that causes news feeds to be updated. This action/setting is stored in places.sqlite (which some may say is logical because it stores bookmarks and history).

25. virtualinsanity

virtualinsanity Registered Member

Read the last few pages of this thread...getting a bit full on! Food for thought though, as always at Wilders. :thumb:

Personally I love Opera. :)

I don't like the Yahoo! mail issue, but I can live with it.

My bookmarks all live online at delicious, so that's not relevant for me.

I know Chrome & IE are safer out of the box. I would like Opera to be natively sandboxed, but it's nothing I can't do myself. Sure they'll go the same route sooner or later anyway.

I know FF has innumerable extensions. Cosmetic ones I couldn't care less about. Security ones I do appreciate.

I despise facebook so flash games there don't matter to me.

For me these things are largely not an issue as I expect the rest of my setup to take care of any security deficiencies my browser may have whether that be by safe hex, sandboxing, soft virtualisation system wide, rights restrictions etc'. Maybe I'll regret stating that and something will bite me on the ass tomorrow, but I'm sure I'll get over it. :D

I do have FF4 all tooled up on my system, along with IE9. Have tried Chrome, Safari, Maxthon & others over the years.

Put simply - I just like Opera more than everything else I've tried regardless of the respective strengths or weaknesses. Just my opinion.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.