Favourite browser (January - June 2011)

Discussion in 'polls' started by 3GUSER, Jan 3, 2011.

?

Which is The Browser (January-June 2011)

Poll closed Jul 2, 2011.
  1. Internet Explorer 9

7.3%
  2. Internet Explorer (older version)

6.1%
  3. Mozilla Firefox 4

22.2%
  4. Mozilla Firefox (older version)

18.0%
  5. Opera 11

16.5%
  6. Opera (older)

0.8%
  7. Google Chrome dev/beta

4.6%
  8. Google Chrome (stable)

18.0%
  9. Safari 5

0.8%
  10. Safari (older)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  11. Other (which one?)

5.7%
  1. safeguy

safeguy Registered Member

I've tried my very best but I failed to swing away from her.

What "her" you ask? "her" is Firefox. She's my 1st love, my 1st kiss so to say.

Chrome is the new virgin in town but since there are too many guys ogling at her bare skin, I can't help but to stay true to whom I already have.

2. Daveski17

Daveski17 Registered Member

Well, to extend the analogy a tad ... according to the poll results so far it seems that Opera is the most popular Nordic babe, erm, young lady in town. :D

3. 3GUSER

3GUSER Registered Member

:D :D :D ROFL

You've got a very strong affair with it . Do you have something from her such as this: http://i56.tinypic.com/25so8dk.jpg / http://i52.tinypic.com/3039s20.jpg

4. cm1971

cm1971 Registered Member

+1 :thumb:

5. PJC

PJC Very Frequent Poster

Favorite browser (January - June 2011)

-Primary Browser: Mozilla Firefox 3.6.13 (...=>4)

-Secondary Browser: Internet Explorer 8 (...=>9)

6. icr

icr Registered Member

Opera v10:thumb:

7. TairikuOkami

TairikuOkami Registered Member

Chrome, I just love, that after a clean setup, I login and I get all my favorites, extensions and most settings in a sec.

8. safeguy

9. PJC

PJC Very Frequent Poster

THANK you, safeguy!!! :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:
    No more Browser Wars...:D

Attached Files:

• 3.jpg
      3.jpg
      File size:
      173 KB
      Views:
  10. ExtremeGamerBR

ExtremeGamerBR Registered Member

Good! :thumb:

11. John Bull

John Bull Registered Member

No contest - Firefox leaves every other browser standing at the start line. The accessories and security benefits are beyond belief. IE is a near competitor, but way behind in operational facilities.

Other browsers ? Forget them. A waste of time. I really do not know why users bother with them. Google Chrome for instance - it is a joke.

With Firefox as against other browsers, I have the analogy of a Bugatti competing with Henry Ford`s original model T Ford of 1908.

John

Last edited: Jan 6, 2011
  12. elapsed

elapsed Registered Member

Fixed.

13. m00nbl00d

m00nbl00d Registered Member

But, the likelihood of the IE "woman" to infect you changes drastically if one sets a different "hosting place".

If the "hosting place" is Windows XP, then most would be/are simply using an Administrator account for the usability of their daily applications, including updating Windows via IE, which requires Administrator rights. Most are "ignorant" (not stupid people, just unaware) about the existence of safer ways, and other ways of using a limited account without being restricted of doing what they want; they also are unaware on how to make their Administrator accounts safer, if they're even aware of the difference between both type of accounts.

The problem with this "woman" is that everyone seems to like her ways. They do not try to find another "woman". They're happy with this one. Obviously, this calls the attention of bad people, who want to get to you, through her.

Even the woman "Firefox", which is also widely used by people is a target to bad people... I wonder how many of these people have knowledge of the little add-ons they can make use of? And, when they white-list something?

But, if you change the "hosting place" to Windows Vista or Windows 7, then it becomes way safer, because the ones providing the "hosting place" have introduced security measures. It is also easier for people who always made use of Administrator accounts to make use of a limited account, and still be able to use those applications requiring Administrator rights. Even those who are unaware of the difference, have a safety net - UAC, which will reduce rights. Not the best solution, but sure is better than not having it.

In this new "hosting place", the dangerous woman "IE" wouldn't be so dangerous, due to other security measures; security measures that the woman "Firefox" makes no use of.

For the "hosting place" Windows XP, I'd pick the woman "Chrome". It provides a better overall protection.

For Windows Vista/7, right out-of-the-box I'd pick IE8, because the low integrity level (sandbox) is properly implemented (via UAC).
    Unlike Chrome's sandbox, which is poorly implemented and under certain conditions, this "woman" will try to have as many rights as the "hosting place" account. This is bad behavior. Naughty "woman"! :D

After a bit tweaking... I prefer this "new" controlled "woman" Chrome. I tamed "her", and "she" won't misbehave anymore. lol

-Edit-

In all fairness, I actually prefer Chrome's "mother" - Chromium "lady". :D An amazing "lady". I fell in love with "her". ;)

Last edited: Jan 6, 2011
  14. Sully

Sully Registered Member

I had this mindset for awhile as well, mainly because I was happily making Kmeleon do what I wanted it to do.

I use Chromium almost exclusively now. IMO it is the fastest on my hardware. I like the simplicity of it. I do wish it had more customizable features like Kmeleon had.

Browsers and firewalls are perhaps the two best examples of the vast difference in people tastes. Any of them can be used to get the job done. Some might be better or worse, some hogs and some spartan, but in the end I believe it is the preference of the user that makes the call -- sometimes the "best" just doesn't jive well with you, so you use something "lesser" but that you enjoy.

Sul.

15. safeguy

@moonblood

Good post and I pretty much agree with what you've said:thumb:

However, that's from the views of a security-minded person. The rest of the internet user population couldn't possibly give 2 hoots on what you're talking about:p

Unfortunately, in regards to the 'hosting place', UAC can be 'disabled'....leaving one back to square 1 (XP-mode). There are those users who seem to do that since they've been comfortable to the 'hosting place' where they used to be. If they do not know how to do that, it's just a Google search away when they get annoyed by the prompts.

Even if that's not the case, many of those who are 'unaware' are also the easy targets that simply 'nod' whenever they are promised of being given chocolates and candies. In that case, the "UAC is no security barrier" mantra pretty much holds true.

The way I see it - while the 'hosting place' does play a substantial role when it's left at it's default setting, it isn't quite the major dependable factor.

If only everyone else thought the same way as you do, we wouldn't have had to debate/argue which browser is "better" than the other.:thumb:

16. mrpink

mrpink Registered Member

Yeah...and then you dropped your pillow...

17. fsr

fsr Registered Member

Chromium 10. Firefox is now history.

18. CiX

CiX Registered Member

Goooogle Chrome:thumb: :thumb:

19. Noob

Noob Registered Member

Chrome 11 :D :thumb:

20. John Bull

What a constructive comment, thank you so much for such an intellectual appraisal of the matter. Firefox beats all the other browsers by several laps.

And for the others ? Google Chrome is about as useful as a one wheel bike. Still, each to his own poison. It would be a very boring world if we all thought the same.

JB

Last edited: Jan 7, 2011
  21. Sully

Sully Registered Member

This is an opinion. Your or anyone who enjoy Firefox are certainly convinced of this statement. However, having tested browsers many times over the years, there is just no way to show this is true using emperical evidence. It depends on many factors such as the computer, the settings of the browser, plugins used and even the pages you visit.

It is enough say that Firefox "can" be the fastest, the same as I can say, on my machine, Firefox is the slowest (which it is according to my eye).

;)

Sul.

22. LoneWolf

LoneWolf Registered Member

23. John Bull

Sully, as always your comments are first class. I am sure that all readers like myself admire every one of your posts, they are a credit to the Forum.
    "An opinion ?" - of course it is, just like all the other posts, including yours.

BUT, Sul my old pal - I never mentioned that Firefox is the FASTEST. I simply said and will repeat it time and again that Firefox is the BEST. I could`nt care less about SPEED so long as it is reasonable and Firefox speed IS reasonable.

As for other browsers - take ya pick. One may as well use Dogpile - http://www.dogpile.com/dogpile/ws/index/?_IceUrl=true, it is just as good.

Having grovelled in the dirt at times in my life, I got a taste for luxury. I would rather stay at the New York Hilton than a 10 bucks a night Doss House in the Bronx.

John

Last edited: Jan 7, 2011
  24. elapsed

elapsed Registered Member

Not really, people are stating what browser they use, that's a fact. They're not worshipping them in this thread, with the exception of a few people.

25. John Bull

Hi Funky, no harm meant. It is an inherent factor in life that when somebody says they use product "X", then unless they back it up with WHY they use it, the information is fairly inconclusive.

John

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.