Favourite browser - 2011 (Jul - Dec)

Discussion in 'polls' started by carat, Jul 9, 2011.

?

Which is your favourite web browser?

1. Internet Explorer

23 vote(s)
    12.5%
  2. Mozilla Firefox

74 vote(s)
    40.2%
  3. Google Chrome

39 vote(s)
    21.2%
  4. Safari

1 vote(s)
    0.5%
  5. Opera

37 vote(s)
    20.1%
  6. Other

10 vote(s)
    5.4%
  1. SweX

SweX Registered Member

Safari of course :thumb:

2. m00nbl00d

m00nbl00d Registered Member

In all fairness, the same could be said that in the hands of someone *puppy*, Chromium based browsers could be even more secure than Opera in the hands of Rmus. ;)

However, we can think of something else, perhaps. Imagine that both browsers wouldn't allow to disable/enable JavaScript, etc on a per-site basis. It's all or nothing.

Chromium based browsers would still have the sandbox. What would Opera have?

I agree, in the hands of the right person, any browser could be secure... as long as the browser allows such tweakings. And, yes... I'm excluding third-party stuff. :p

3. Spruce

Spruce Registered Member

Opera :ninja:

4. SweX

SweX Registered Member

Sorry, not my kind of Music :shifty:
    As for the Browser though it's getting better and better ;)

Last edited: Jul 9, 2011
  5. elapsed

elapsed Registered Member

Even though IE8 did it first? :s

6. Hungry Man

Hungry Man Registered Member

IE8 did not sandbox individual tabs.

edit: It has InPrivate.

7. Sully

Sully Registered Member

It seems like there is always a two sided debate going on here. One way is secure, another is not. Switch it around this way or that, all depending on who you are and what you know.

I get a little confused sometimes when product/method ABC is deemed very secure because product/method XYZ or 123 can be just as good if not better. There is a blur between "if you are a novice or using all defaults" versus those who frequent here and are more advanced. Comparing chrome to opera is not much of a comparison in the real world, but here where we all focus on more technical aspects, saying chrome is better than opera is not really pure fact any more, because most of us have deviated from default, and then all bets are off.

I guess I have always thought that if you frequent here, you are either past doing things the default way or you are learning how to stop doing things the default way, and start learning some advanced infos. .... default being a generic term of course for many uses.

Sul.

8. Sully

Sully Registered Member

I remember reading up on it a bit when Kees gave me a bunch of technical links about how chrome sandboxes, but I thought they were pretty different, so much that I would not include IE in tab protection. But that doesn't mean much really, I have been wrong about a great many things in life and stand prepared to learn from someone who does know ;)

Sul.

9. LoneWolf

LoneWolf Registered Member

That would be Opera.:D

10. stratoc

stratoc Guest

exactly my feelings.

11. Bob D

Bob D Registered Member

K-Meleon.
    (Although development of late has been lethargic.)

12. elapsed

elapsed Registered Member

Yes it does. Each tab is an isolated process...

13. Hungry Man

I thought they were just separate processes, not sandboxed from each other. The same way that Firefox has a plugin process and a browser process but they're not sandboxed from each other.

14. m00nbl00d

No, it isn't. And, the reason being that Opera doesn't have a decent market share to become a target.

But, I wonder what the comparison would then be. Equal martket shares, equal targerts, perhaps.

I don't think a browser should be considered secure until it is put under scrutiny. The other way (insecure) could also be true, but there is no such thing as secure code, and that means exploitation of its insecurity. More so, when dealing with web browsers/Internet facing applications.

So, if I were a Joe, and with a 50-50 market share, I think I'd pass Opera. But, perhaps by then Opera will join. I simply wish it could be sooner than later. I say this because the more *safer* ways people have at their hands to surf the web, the better, IMHO.

It is a fact, actually. It is a fact that Opera's market share is not appealing. It's a fact that this makes it be secure, by obscurity... with its default settings. If it wasn't a fact, why would we even deviate from default? I'm a former Opera user, and that's the reason I deviated from default settings.

I just hope that, by the time Opera loses its obscurity, it's ready for the fight and not simply create a gap, leaving their users more exposed than they should be, IMHO.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2011
  15. Hungry Man

Security is difficult to benchmark. Track records aren't necessarily indications of a secure program.

However, I feel that we can take a look at Opera and take a look at Chrome and say "Are there any security features one has that the other doesn't?" and it is quite clear that Chrome has more.

Does that make it more secure? Not necessarily, at that point you have to analyze those features.

16. J_L

J_L Registered Member

Still good old Firefox, nothing can match it's customizability (yet).

17. m00nbl00d

Hence the reason I mentioned a browser shouldn't* be considered secure until it is put under scrutiny.

* In the original post I wrote should, due to the sentence itself.

18. stapp

stapp Global Moderator

At the moment it's BlackHawk Web Browser.

19. guest

guest Guest

20. Hungry Man

How does it have the best approach?

21. c2d

c2d Registered Member

Opera

22. Noob

Noob Registered Member

Chrome! :argh: :thumb: :thumb:

23. Scoobs72

Scoobs72 Registered Member

Opera! No, wait...Chrome! Or is it Opera? ...impossible to choose :)

24. 1chaoticadult

1chaoticadult Registered Member

Used to be a heavy Chrome user, but I'm trying Opera 11.5 and I'm really liking it. So for the moment, looks Opera is my favorite browser.

25. Eice

Eice Registered Member

Have you tried Google Reader?

Notification add-ons for it are available for Firefox, Chrome, Safari, and Opera.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.