Favorite PRIMARY Antivirus You Use?

Discussion in 'polls' started by Straight Shooter, Jan 7, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Paul Wilders

Paul Wilders Administrator

Indeed - right in the middle of quitting that habit :D

regards.

paul

2. snowy

snowy Guest

PAUL

you may be much to busy to notice this sort of report so thought to post it just for general info.....its public record as of a few minutes ago

Reuters
    Network Associates Swings to Profit
    Thursday January 23, 6:41 am ET

SANTA CLARA, Calif. (Reuters) - Network Associates Inc. (NYSE:NET - News) reported a net profit in the fourth quarter benefiting from increased demand for network and computer security technology, the computer security provider said on Thursday.
    Network Associates reported a net profit of $44.2 million, or 26 cents per share compared with a net loss of $4.9 million, or $0.03 per share, a year earlier. Before special items, the company said it earned 29 cents a share. Analysts polled by Thomson First Call had, on average, expected the company to post earnings of 24 cents per share.

Net revenue fell to $256.0 million from $258.1 million a year earlier, the company said.

Network Associates also said it expects a first quarter profit in the range of 9 cents to 11 cents a share on revenue of between $225 million and $230 million. For the year, the company said it expects a profit of between 70 cents and 75 cents a share on revenue of between $1.0 billion and $1.03 billion.

3. Paul Wilders

Paul Wilders Administrator

Snowy,

I noticed - thanks for the heads up anyway ;)

regards.

paul

4. snowy

snowy Guest

Lol..their stock is tumbling down....oooooh well

5. Smokey

Smokey Registered Member

First I used for a very long time KAV Pro, right now I've changed to avast!4 Pro.

6. Firefighter

Firefighter Registered Member

To Smokey from Firefighter!

It's nice to read that there are other unprejudiced pioneers, who dare to prove something so different and charming implementation that Avast 4 Pro has!

I almost gived up, when I took RAV as my resident some 10 days ago, but now I am using Avast 4 Pro as my resident again, DrWeb and RAV are my backups as they were in the beginning.

I had to totally throw away KAV 4.0.9 from my PC, because there was so much interruptions in my net sessions. I used KAV as my backup. Maybe it is my cellular modem (I use GPRS-phone as my modem), that was really too much for KAV!

I can't mention exactly the reasons why Avast 4 Pro is my choise, but it is fact, that Avast 4 is capable to scan more files from your PC than DrWeb, so it is not bad at all. Let’s hope that Alwil has done the same as Nokia did in the early 90:ies with cellular phones.

If you have a scanner that is capable to 100% clean result of 40 % from your PC, but if you want as clean PC as possible, so there are still 60 % files, that you don't know anything about! That's why Avast 4 Pro, and I had an extra bonus with those 2 VirusBulletin 100% in the Wild results last year from the older program of Avast. :D

Regards,
    Firefighter!

7. vlk

vlk AV Expert

Firefighter,

Please tell me - what was it? I'm curious... :p
    After all, you're from Finland, so you must know... :)

Vlk

8. Firefighter

To Vlk from Firefighter!

I have never been at Nokia and I am not a Nokia fun anymore, because I like minorities!

This is my point of view to that economical fairy tale.

1. Be proud of your roots, there your have your own nuclear power, the decisions to make are always yours!

2. Be open to numerous stupid questions!

3. Have a crystal clear vision in the horizon, that everyone are capable to admit it!

4. Don't punish those who are making mistakes sometimes, behind every mistake looms great opportunities, remove fear of your folks!

5. Use the mathematical weapons wisely (for examble Statistical Process Control)!

6. Treat your own employees like your own family, loving and caring!

7. Joy, when you have occasion to it!

etc.

From the top there is only one way and you know where it leads, unfortunately! But the whole journey to the top with it's valuable choises fascinates me.

After all, you have to give up at right moment. It's like with all things in human life! You have to go further to seek new adventures. ;)

"The truth is out there, but it hurts, after that you'll love it"!

Regards,
    Firefighter!

9. Smokey

Smokey Registered Member

IMO Avast! is a very promising virusscanner, at the moment not perfect but AlWil is everyday working on his product to improve it.

Besides that, it's a fact that AlWil is one of the very few companies who is writing the words "Customer Care" and "Sales After" very big!

I think, it's worth to give such a product a fair chance to establish on the market, now a days there are already to many other (big) companies which forget their roots, and only are selling their products relying on their well-known name, the customer don't care for them, only the selling-rates are very important.

10. Firefighter

To Smokey from Firefighter!

We must only recognize the truth, in the real world there are two kinds of fruit, those which are ripe and those which are unripe.

The ripe ones are those which are very soon becoming to putrid. I am not interesting about those ones. That's why I live among minorities!

In the bussinesworld there are many point of views to be counted. Unfortunately the CEO:s main purpose seems to be that, to fill your pockets as soon as possible. They forget that resource, what brings the money to their pockets.

In team sports, for example, almost allways the winner is not that team, which financial resources are the best. That's the real truth of money talks phrase. We have forgotten the purpose of healthy soul, joy to work with team workers and so on! With those things OK, your are the winner, despite of your financial situation! ;)

"The truth is out there, but it hurts"!

Regards,
    Firefighter!

11. vlk

vlk AV Expert

Thank you, people! :)

It's nice to read it, but...

On the other hand, I must admit that it's also exciting to actually sell something (not to mention the fact the we're not a bunch of volunteers, so without selling the stuff we can't really survive, at least in the 'long haul'). So, besides the fun of coding the thing, we really have to pay some attention to marketing, sales and other things like that...

For example, we're constantly looking for international distributors who would not only put the product on their pricelists but also be confident that it's a great product and be able to pass this information to their customers... :)

But, Firefighter, if you like minorities, don't worry, it's unlikely that we'll fail you in this aspect (at least, in the next 50 years...) :D

Vlk

12. Tinribs

Tinribs Registered Member

I sincerely hope your company goes on to even greater things Vlk, its very refreshing to see an av emerging into what could be a very fine antivirus (its good already!) and the main choice for many users, granted free versions can only be supported by sales of a 'corporate' or 'pro' version and thats understandable. But I wish you every success.

13. Firefighter

To Vlk from Firefighter!

If the basics are about average, you may have bread on your table. Everyone must have done their homeworks. But if we are looking for a long time growth, then we must have something special.

When I said, that I like minorities, there is also the dark side in it. Among the minorities, there are plenty of folks, that never be able to renew themselves. I have found certain things about Alwil, that for me seems to be very promising. It is the route your are going to the top. Right choises that many others haven’t found, I call them priorities to the final countdown.

You may find some of these from my writings in Wilders, and some, which I think are your unique inventions, I’ll keep out of these sites, because these belongs to your intellectual capital.

Remember, that there are no quick profits in real business, that lasts enough time being. Just follow your own way, enjoy your work, have a party when a time is ready, and the crown will be worth it. ;)

“The truth is out there, but it hurts, after that you'll love it”!

Regards,
    Firefighter!

14. UNICRON

UNICRON Technical Expert

Are you suggesting that Symantec is the NY Rangers of the AV world? ;)

15. Firefighter

To Unicron from Firefighter!

I haven't followed the NHL League so intensive, but in Finland we play Hockey too, and here the winners have more than often 40% budget, than the most wealthy teams have.

The corruption in North America do in my point of view play much larger scale factor than it is in Finland, because the organizations of bookmakers belongs to the State monopoly in here.

That's why I don't speculate anymore about North American betting systems! :D

And the Symantec issue, that's an other story. There are McAfee and Trend Micro, which are very large too. When you are inspecting bussiness sector, McAfee is bigger than Norton. So I want not to mention any particular AV-producer.

"The truth is out there, but it hurts"

Regards,
    Firefighter!

16. UNICRON

UNICRON Technical Expert

To Firefighter from Unicron!

Finish hockey is very similar to NA style. Much more so than other European leagues (except for the money:Selanne, Teemu $6,500,000USD!)

The NY Rangers have the highest paid roster at $68,527,085 USD but have only managed 49 points compared to $30,315,000 USD for the Ottawa Senators who have 71 points. One is #1 in the conference, the other isn't even going to make the playoffs.

Moral of the story? You can't always buy success.

17. museheart

museheart Registered Member

I think it is a very good question. I also agree with your statement above, however, I have used many products. Right now its Norton because that is what they chose for me when my computer was hacked. I don't like their support, I don't like talking to computers.

BTW, I love Brad...

Peace,

18. Firefighter

To Museheart from Firefighter!

To me Norton, McAfee and so on represents an other lifestyle and values that I think isn’t the right way.

Why not enjoy the life within forests, lakes, wild animals, birds, fresh air and water, which you can drink taken straight from your water tap and not from a bottle. Listen to the silence and enjoy the peacefull environment.

Enjoy life so, that you can go to swim naked straight after that you have refreshed your mind in your hot lakeshore Sauna, and there is nothing to do with sex or anything you have to be shamed. In Finland we may say that your are one with the mother nature! We have over 600 000 saunas in a country where is over 60 000 lakes, the population is about 5.2 million and areal width something about Germany!

irrelevant part removed - please stay on topic - Forum Admin

I am not a Greenpeace spokesman, because I think they are too fanatics in their decisions and actions, but we can make our decisions through small choises.

In Europe we have plenty AV-programs which use 5-20 % harddisk volume than the US ones, and they are at least equal, probably even better in their main tasks. Use of harddisk is in my opinion a kind of pollution, waste of resources and money too. Small is beautifull, keep it simpple stupid (KISS) rules! That’s why in alphabetical order Avast 4, DrWeb and RAV. :)

“The truth is out there, but it hurts”

Regards,
    Firefighter!

19. museheart

museheart Registered Member

Wow! Did I get a lecture or what? lol

Yes, Americans are spoiled, lazy swine. We can't run around naked because we are all too fat! Sex? Who has time for sex? We're all too busy building dynasties, funding crooked politicians and making sure everybody is minding everyone else's business.

Now I have a question, what is: Avast 4, DrWeb and RAV

Oh, by the way some of us are Southerners and we don't do things the way the rest of America do them. I'll tell you about us sometime. :)

Peace.

20. iceman

iceman Guest

Firefighter

the topic is about anti virus programs....not countries..cultures....or one's lifestyle peferences.

21. Firefighter

To Museheart from Firefighter!

Hi, about the results of American way of life: You said it, not me!

But if the topic was av-programs, you have to know what RAV 8.6, DrWeb32 and Avast 4 Home and Pro are!

The answer is elsewhere on these Wilders Forum sites!

Peace and Good Luck! :D

"The truth is out there, but it hurts!"

Regards,
    Firefighter!

22. Taxan

Taxan Guest

Fax has been issued to The Office Of The U.S. Attoney General and Interpol advising of the anti-American statements being published at this website .

Taxan

23. Paul, Please delete this Jerk's post from this forum..
    This BOZO can't even spell the word "Attorney" right... DUH!!!!

Unless I'm mistaken, I think he even spelled the name of his-her state wrong... "TAXAN"? I think "it" means "TEXAN"...
    DOUBLE DUUUHHHHHHH......!

A Proud American,

Straight Shooter

24. Firefighter

To Straight Shooter from Firefighter!

Thanks to you.

I never said that Americans may not be proud of their culture. It's an other story when we Scandinavians have a culture of our own, and we are very proud of it too! That's tolerance issue, if we appreciate each other! ;)

"The truth is out there, and it hurts!"

Regards,
    Firefighter!

25. Hi, Firefighter...

My post wasn't directed at you, it was directed to "Taxan"..
    I have tolerance, and to be honest with you, I couldn't care less who or where the software is made, or about lifestyles.. This is a SECURITY Forum, not the United Nations...

I use NOD32 (Slovakia), TrojanHunter (Sweden), MailWasher (New Zealand), Tracks Eraser Pro (who knows), and Zone Alarm Pro (USA).. I don't feel I am "betraying" my country. that has nothing to do with it.. Besides, while we're on the subject, someday, I think the world will be under one government, anyway... Maybe it should be that way...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.