Favorite FREE On-Demand Scanners

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by xeda, Jul 10, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. xeda

xeda Registered Member

Hi,

What are some of your favorite free on-demand (non-resident) virus scanners?

Thanks!

2. gerardwil

gerardwil Registered Member

FREE Dr.Web CureIt! Curing Utility

http://download.drweb.com/drweb cureit/

Gerard

Last edited: Jul 10, 2006
  3. 19monty64

19monty64 Registered Member

I would say BitDefender8. I use it for a back-up scanner and think is very thorough and updates automatically. I trialled BD9 but the "shield" used too much ram on my old 'puter.

4. Mele20

Mele20 Former Poster

BitDefender8. I ran free BD for two years as my sole AV on my XP box. I currently have it on my 98SE box as the sole AV on that box.

5. sweater

sweater Registered Member

Philippines, the Political Dynasty Capital of the
    I have tried the others, but only ClamWin free anti-virus can detects "something" that others could not. There's only one flaw...it scans very slow like a clam..:D so if possible I only scans those files that I suspects to be infected like my limited acct w/c I use when I surf the web. :cool:

Its open source, you have to try it...;)

6. pilotart

pilotart Registered Member

Here is a link to a NOD32 site that contains Links and brief information about all of the 'FREE' OnLine Utilities.

Kaspersky found one in Norton Quarantine and one in Outlook's Hotmail 'Deleted items' Folder a year ago and none since. It needs to use IE (for ActiveX) to run.

Ewido has a Free "ewido_micro.exe" so you don't need to use IE and it removed over 13,000 "Tracking Cookies" on first run, six months ago, but have scanned clean since. Ewido is said to be the best "anti-trojan" utility available as well.

ewido_micro.exe does reside on desktop (132KB) but needs to download fresh definitions for each scan

Last edited: Jul 10, 2006
  7. pykko

pykko Registered Member

my favorite on-demand scanner is definetly Avira. :).
    thanks pilotart for posting that link. I thouhgt to post it too, but you were faster. :D

8. mikesu

mikesu Registered Member

9. Bob D

Bob D Registered Member

BitDefender 8.
    On ancient laptop with limited resources: F-Prot DOS.

10. ASpace

ASpace Guest

McAfee Command line Scanner (it has free trial version which never expires after the unzipped folder was deleted) . It uses McAfee's full definitions and scans and clean all kind of malware (viruses,spyware, dialers ......)

11. TairikuOkami

TairikuOkami Registered Member

MWAV - powered by KAV & detects everything (even false alerts), but does not clean!

12. pykko

pykko Registered Member

that's bad...if cleaning was available also, it would have been great.

13. mercurie

mercurie A Friendly Creature

...out of the free on demands I think BitDefender was the best in my experience. ;)

14. xeda

xeda Registered Member

Thanks everyone! Great suggestions! :)

Where can I find the McAfee command line scanner? I searched but couldn't find it.

I love BitDefender, but one thing I never liked about it was the fact that you have to allow several components to load at system startup in order to use it. I'm not sure if this still applies to the new version.

15. Albinoni

Albinoni Registered Member

A Q to ask is how many of these so called online scanners actually cure and elete/kill the the virus. I've heard of online scanner that will actually pick up the virus but if you wanted to cure them you had to purchase their product to do so.

16. the Tester

the Tester Registered Member

For free on-demand scanner I prefer Avira.

17. pilotart

pilotart Registered Member

FREE On-Line Scanners

Of the ones on that list (proviided by NOD32) that I put the link for; Kaspersky's "found" but did not remove and Ewido's offered to create a backup and remove what it had found. I am not at all 'expert' on what to do when malware is found on your system, but would guess that you might want to do a little further research before removing questionable files. I would also think that going after *some* malware that has been resident in your system may be an excercise in futility and a format, wipe and reinstall may be the only solution.

The Spyware Warrior List of Rogue/Suspect Anti-Spyware Products & Web Sites

The site linked above will list many "On-Line Scanners" that not only create "ridiculous false positives" to sell you their product, some actually install malware on your system for you, so use great caution before allowing 'On-Line' access to your system.:rolleyes:

18. lodore

lodore Registered Member

kaspersky online scanner wont remove
    bitdefender does clean all viruses and spyware it finds if it can.

19. phasechange

phasechange Registered Member

Question... If I install Bitdefender 7 as an on demand backup scanner... does it add start up/background processes/updaters or will it sit nicely on my hard disk until I double click on it's icon?

Thanks,
    Fairy

Last edited: Jul 15, 2006
  20. ASpace

ASpace Guest

Hello . Sorry for the late response .

In McAfee's main page -> Small and Medium businesses -> Trial version
    or here
    https://secure.nai.com/apps/downloads/free_evaluations/default.asp?region=us&segment=smb

Definitions from here:
    http://www.mcafee.com/apps/downloads/security_updates/dat.asp?region=us&segment=smb

You need datxxxx.zip

To use it , unzip both the scanner and the definitions in to a new folder. Then , read instructions and run it via the command prompt .The file which you start is called scan

21. xeda

xeda Registered Member

Thanks! Exactly what I needed. ;)

I believe it requires a few items to be loaded at system startup. However, you can always tell these items to not start up until you're ready to use BitDefender again.

Others will have to verify this.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.