Favorite browser - 2013

Discussion in 'polls' started by jo3blac1, Jan 11, 2013.

?

Which is your favorite web browser?

Poll closed Dec 31, 2013.
  1. Internet Explorer

28 vote(s)
    10.9%
  2. Mozilla Firefox

118 vote(s)
    45.9%
  3. Google Chrome

72 vote(s)
    28.0%
  4. Safari

3 vote(s)
    1.2%
  5. Opera

30 vote(s)
    11.7%
  6. Other

32 vote(s)
    12.5%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Noob

Noob Registered Member

Lol with such a huge list like half of it will end up with 0 votes. :D (I might be exaggerating)

2. roger_m

roger_m Registered Member

I've used nearly half of those browsers, but for now Slepinir is my browser of choice - I see no need to use anything else.

3. Hungry Man

Hungry Man Registered Member

A dozen lines of code changed, max. I doubt any new code added at all, only changes to existing code such as grepping for Chrome and replacing Iron.

A diff of the two codebases proved this a long time ago.

They're all very similar. Especially Firefox derivatives, which tend to only change compiler flags. Dragon provides a few new features, but very little.

I don't care if Chrome/Firefox wins but I think "other" is really vague, and some people may be voting Firefox for Palemoon when it belongs in other, or other for palemmon when it belongs in Firefox - who's to say?

IT's just unclear, and I'm curious.

4. Daveski17

Daveski17 Registered Member

I know what you are saying, but to me it is like calling a Vauxhall car an Opel. They may be virtually identical, but they are not the same cars. In the case of using this particular analogy you could extend it further as General Motors uses the same mechanical layouts for US variant cars sometimes (often Chevrolet or Buick). Even if these cars have over 90% components in common & are technically produced by the same company, you wouldn't class them as 'the same'. I think that this just as easily applies to browsers. Sorry about the car analogy. ;)

Jeez don't say that, Google will take your fanboi licence away! LOL :eek:

The polls just need more choices I suppose.

5. Mman79

Mman79 Registered Member

Do we really need to get that serious about it? Do you guys really want a poll with a ton of 1%, 2% options?

@Daveski: As much as you want these forks to be different browsers, they're the same, just live with it :D :p

6. Wild Hunter

Wild Hunter Former Poster

Yes, I want a richer poll, :D I'm not sure about the % results.

7. safeguy

safeguy Registered Member

Maybe this would be better??

IE
    Firefox
    Chrome
    Opera
    Safari
    IE-based browsers
    Firefox variants
    Chrome variants
    Other (mention in thread)

8. Wild Hunter

Nop, the most famous/used variants need their own options IMO! Besides that, many "variants" are based on the engines (Gecko, Trident, WebKit and Presto, for example), not on the browsers themselves (there are some exceptions).

9. Daveski17

No they're not. Iron is different enough to Chrome for me to be able to choose between them. One of them originates from Germany for instance.

You may as well class all Gecko-engined browsers as the 'same'. Using that logic SeaMonkey, Firefox, Maxthon 2 & K-Meleon are all the same.

10. Hungry Man

You know how I feel about car analogies lol

11. Daveski17

Yeah, I promise to try not to use any more. :D

12. jo3blac1

jo3blac1 Registered Member

I wanted to keep things simple and consistent with the poll from previous year. Besides all those "variants" are still dependent on the "mother" browser for updates.

13. safeguy

safeguy Registered Member

I understand and agree. KISS.:thumb:

It was a mere suggestion because some here insisted on having more. Instead of listing all browsers available, I suggested having a separate option for the 'variants' to keep a balance and solve the possible confusion scenario brought out by HungryMan. Anyway, you started the poll so I respect the way you intend to have it.

14. Arcanez

Arcanez Registered Member

Internet Explorer 10

15. roger_m

I don't know why IE, and Chrome are so popular amongst experienced computer users.

One thing I really hate about them both is that there is no option to make then operate as solely tab based browsers. For example if you shift click on a link in either browser it will open in a new browser window. I find this annoying as I prefer to have the links open in a new tab in the current window, and there are plenty of alternate browser which can operate solely as tabbed browsers.

While quite possibly there are add ons which let you do this in Chrome and IE, in the general I find the lack of advanced configuration options dissapointing, as someone who likes to customise their browsers a lot.

I tried the same in Firefox, and it seems that clicking on links does nothing. I'm not sure if this standard behaviour or a problem as I've never liked Firefox and rarely used it.

16. Hungry Man

Ctrl + Click opens a link in a new tab.

17. elapsed

elapsed Registered Member

Probably because experienced users know about shortcuts like ctrl+t to open a new tab, or ctrl+click on links or favourites/bookmarks to open them in a new tab.

edit: Also,
    tabs.png

18. J_L

J_L Registered Member

What are you talking about? This is not the case in Chrome, and rarely happens in the latest IE versions.

There are command line switches, chrome://flags, Show advanced settings, registry (alternative for command line switches), and AppData (like User StyleSheets) for Chrome. I don't see why you think that is lacking.
    IE also has lots of settings if you dig deeper into Windows (like gpedit).

19. roger_m

I did not know about ctrl clicking on links.

20. roger_m

You're right, there are advanced configuration options, but browsers like Avant and Maxthon have more configuation options.

I can not configure IE or Chrome to work the way I want without the use of extensions.

21. J_L

J_L Registered Member

I meant the tabs loading in a new window, Chrome loads it in a new tab and I believe IE 9+ does that as well.

That's why extensions exist, to extend the browser for your needs.

22. Wild Hunter

Car analogies aren't that bad for browsers. But I have to admit that I hate when people use them for AVs and office suites.

23. ams963

ams963 Registered Member

I've finally moved to Chrome. And I kind of like it.:D

24. Brandonn2010

Brandonn2010 Registered Member

Chrome. I don't see how people choose Firefox over Chrome, given Chrome's inherent security. I know it doesn't have a NoScript, but still.

25. Daveski17

If I could only have one browser, it would probably have to be Firefox. It does just about everything relatively adequately. I don't dislike Chrome, I have it synched on every computer I run. I tend to prefer Opera these days. I still have a soft spot for SeaMonkey, which can do just about anything Opera can. Unfortunately SeaMonkey's extensions are not doing so well with Mozilla's rapid release cycle.

I think that the appeal for Firefox is that it is a good basic workhorse. I find that more than a couple of extensions on Chrome has a noticeable negative effect on its performance. I have quite a few on Fx & it just soldiers on. It can also be sufficient hardened with some security extensions (especially NoScript).

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.