Favorite browser - 2013

Discussion in 'polls' started by jo3blac1, Jan 11, 2013.

?

Which is your favorite web browser?

Poll closed Dec 31, 2013.
  1. Internet Explorer

28 vote(s)
    10.9%
  2. Mozilla Firefox

118 vote(s)
    45.9%
  3. Google Chrome

72 vote(s)
    28.0%
  4. Safari

3 vote(s)
    1.2%
  5. Opera

30 vote(s)
    11.7%
  6. Other

32 vote(s)
    12.5%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. J_L

J_L Registered Member

Chrome and Internet Explorer already have that. Don't multiple processes use more resources though?

2. Noob

Noob Registered Member

Firefox still leading the pack . . . :rolleyes:

3. Hungry Man

Hungry Man Registered Member

Not surprising. For an average user making the switch of browsers is easy - there's nothing to relearn, and they won't care much about extensions.

For a user on here, who's used to messing with settings, and has multiple extensions, which they've come to rely on, it's a much larger amount of time necessary to get it set up and relearn how it's used.

4. roger_m

roger_m Registered Member

5. moontan

moontan Registered Member

well, it's not surprising.
    it is still the most widely used browser after IE.

but IE is doing quite poorly in this poll.
    but not surprising since this is a forum of computer geeks mostly. ;)

6. J_L

J_L Registered Member

7. Wild Hunter

Wild Hunter Former Poster

8. J_L

J_L Registered Member

You're ignoring StatCounter and W3Counter. Net Applications may have country-level weighting, but it's 2 against 1. None of them are perfect in the end.

9. Wild Hunter

Wild Hunter Former Poster

None of them are perfect - I agree with that.

10. The Red Moon

The Red Moon Registered Member

i have found this not always the case.Im using comodo dragon and totting up resource usage i find it amounts to approximately the same as firefox.

11. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

Looking through all the posts here, I only saw Waterfox, Cyberfox and Pale Moon mentioned a few times. As a WIN 7 64x user, I'm interested in 64x browsers. I'm using Waterfox now, but would like some reviews on Palemoon and Cyberfox if there are any users out there. :)

12. Landpaddle

Landpaddle Registered Member

Most 64bit browsers are currently forks of official builds. The performance benefits over their 32x counterparts are about as- if not more disputed than the effectiveness of HTTP pipelining.

In addition, you have to consider any of those products as stable as a Chrome Canary build. Updates that cover security will be slower, the lack of group effort will reduce the frequency of fuzz testing, and any modification to the codebase is bound to be reviewed by less people than, say, bugzilla.org provides or the Chromium buildbot waterfall will catch.

Not to say innovative applications aren't a good thing, no, but I don't see a benefit for consumer use until testers really devote themselves to maintaining a clean, regression-free codebase.

Just an opinion, but hopefully something to think about before you put all your online browsing data in the hands of undocumented (or closed-source) third-party development.

13. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

Thanks for the tip. :)

14. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

I have been spending some time with the new Maxthon Cloud and I have to say it's quite usable and full-featured. I found it very easy to use and they have taken care of all the bugbears from previous versions.

On my laptop, Maxthon is the default browser and everyone in the family finds it just as easy to use and fast as Chrome, though of course it does not have any hardware acceleration.

Among other browsers I gave a try are SlimBoat and Sleipnir. Sleipnir 4.0 (released today) is a very interesting browser with some cool features, but unfortunately still lacks polish. It is, however, hardware accelerated.

SlimBoat is a browser that feels very minimalistic and unbloated, but is chock full of features. There are some useful features in both Maxthon and SlimBoat for auto-translation and downloading of YouTube videos and the like (both browsers come with decent downloaders). SlimBoat is also built on the Qt port of WebKit and is very snappy and fast, though it lacks hardware acceleration and smooth scroll.

I'm keeping an eye on SlimBoat, but for now Opera and Maxthon are good enough that I no longer need Chrome on my computer. :)

15. Daveski17

Daveski17 Registered Member

I have to agree about Maxthon. I have started to use the portable (4.0.5.2000) again & it really is good, especially 'out of the box'. It's a shame a British English spellchecker isn't available still, & I miss the lack of skins (some of which were superb), but it has one of the best RSS feeds & reader modes I have ever used. There is even provision to import your Google reader if you wish.

16. AlexC

AlexC Registered Member

Chrome, for the same reasons.

17. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

@daveski17: Indeed, I wish software developers in general paid more attention to British English. I grew up learning that and it gets a little annoying seeing the spell checkers call out certain spellings as wrong, or to see a different spelling in a program.

Other than that though, Maxthon is perfect - the UI is actually fine, I like this as it feels simple and to-the-point. They have done a great job of implementing useful features in a convenient way (something I also like about Opera).

18. Daveski17

You can add spellings of course, but you'd think that there would be a hack for a British English dictionary by now.

There are still little WebKit quirks that irritate me, but it's always swings & roundabouts with browsers. I do kind of miss Zork's 'Snapper' skin quite a bit. However, all in all, the UI is quite clean aesthetically & I really do think that this is the best WebKit based browser on the Net.

19. Saint Satin Stain

Saint Satin Stain Registered Member

Huntsville, AL and Greenwich Village, NYC
    Use multiple browsers. SeaMonkey was my default, but long time no compatible Lightning. Reluctantly uninstalled it; SM without Lightning not worth having. I installed Mozilla Thunderbird, took five minutes or fewer to import everything from SM (then I uninstalled).

My default browser now is Pale Moon, also have Google Chrome, Internet Explorer, K-Meleon, Mozilla Firefox, and Tor Browser. If there is compatible Lightning some future, I'll go back. On mobile I have Chrome, Webroot browser, and the stock Android browser.

20. guest

guest Guest

Firefox, but just if chrome had an option to auto-delete history... :(

21. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

You can get Click and Clean from your Chrome extensions that deletes history, cache and more with a click.;)

22. chrisretusn

chrisretusn Registered Member

Still Firefox.

23. Noob

Noob Registered Member

Would Incognito work?

24. roger_m

roger_m Registered Member

I'm am really liking Sleipnir 3.9 (I'm pretty sure that's the version I'm using at the moment - I'm not at home now top verify this). I've been using it a lot over the last few weeks, without a single crash. It would be a few weeks since I've rebooted my laptop, and that whole time I've had Sleipnir running, and I've used it a lot. Right now I believe I have about 30 tabs open.

With just about any other browser I'm sure I would have had a crash in this time.

There is v4 now which I just discovered when visiting thier website, and I will upgrade to it.

25. Daveski17

I haven't used Sleipnir since it was Gecko engined. Does it still use Trident as well like Maxthon?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.