fastest method for blocking ads in Firefox

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by WSFuser, Oct 26, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

1) adblock (plus)

2) using a CSS file (like this one)

or

3) using a 3rd party program (like Ad Muncher)

Im wondering which has the least impact on the time for loading sites. any opinions?

2. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Hello,
    The CSS hides the ads. They are loaded but not shown.
    AdBlock actually blocks them. They are not loaded.
    Did not try AdMuncher but did try Proxo - does a solid job, although Adblock is simpler and faster.
    My vote goes for Adblock - haven't felt any deterioration in speed or quality of displayed content. Au contraire.
    Mrk

3. King FN Kong

King FN Kong Registered Member

admuncher would do a very good job. once you have it on, you dont have to configure any of your other browsers to block any ads. saved me a lot of time.

4. HAN

HAN Registered Member

Ad blocking is a must when your average download speed is 2.5kb/s. (The best dialup in the world! :eek: )

I've tried Proxomitron, AdBlock and Ad Muncher. I chose Ad Muncher because it blocked the most ads without breaking things. AdBlock works but it's not nearly as aggresive as Ad Muncher (not to mention FF only.) And while I believe that the Proxomitron may potentially be the strongest of the 3, I did not have the time to learn how to make it work like I needed it to. And none of the filters I tried worked as well for me as Ad Muncher.

So I bought 2 Ad Muncher licenses. :D

5. sukarof

sukarof Registered Member

I only use adblock plus for Firefox. Adblock was the main reason I started to look at Firefox in the first place a couple of years ago. I havent seen any ads since then :)
    I have never tried third party ad blocking tools (well I did have proxomitron installed way back when IE clones was my browser).
    Adblock doesnt have any negative impact at all IME regarding loading times.
    I have learned that there is no use of external adblockers (or antispyware, with noscript installed, for that matter) with Firefox.

For a while I did have Hostsman installed and it took care of all the ads in IE and Opera. Hostsman filters blocks every ad server in the hosts file. But since I dont use those browsers anymore it is redundant.

6. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

adblock might be better than adblock plus because i think adblock plus has a memory problem. i'd diffinately switch them if you use adblock plus

7. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

im trialing ad muncher atm, and so far i like the new version (tho i wish memory usage was as small as the installer :D).

its hard to say if its faster than adblock plus tho.

8. Alphalutra1

Alphalutra1 Registered Member

HOST file would definately be one of the fastest since it will block the DNS request from traveling beyond your computer. However, I think admuncher or adblock would be pretty fast too. I just use Opera with Proxomitron (not the fastest, but definately the most powerful) though, so sorry I can't help anymore.

Alphalutra1

9. nadirah

nadirah Registered Member

BEST methods:
    1) HOSTS File ( Use a reputable one such as MVPS Hosts file.)
    2) Adblock plus ( almost everything is automated with no noticeable impact on performance.)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.