Fastest Browser....Chrome, Firefox or Opera?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Birdman, Mar 13, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. acr1965

acr1965 Registered Member

thanks

2. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

Addons are "extensions" which are features of FF. ;)

3. ePost

ePost Registered Member

Fore some reason IE gets slower when you install Googles Toolbar. Mine did...

4. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

Chrome (RAW) and unfinished i think can be agreed on as a fast as fast goes Browser by Google. But it remains to be seen in the finished product after adding additional functionality and/or features just rating it will tally in with beyond that.

In simple terms, the less material the more rapid the advance. Simple Logic of Physics i think.

That being said, a Chrome Portable would be a useful addition and likely safer as well as quicker.

5. bgoodman4

bgoodman4 Registered Member

For me speed is less important than functionality. I use Opera partly because I like a number of features and partly because I have become very comfortable with the browser. There are lots of features I do not use but the page rendering speed is fine and the browser loads without me feeling like I am waiting too long. When Chrome first came out I gave it a try and did not see any reason to switch. Perhaps it was a bit faster, perhaps not. It really did not mater to me. I just did not like it as much as I do Opera. For me to switch browsers there would have to be some pretty serious enhancements to a competitor of Opera,,,,,and there would have to be some indication that Opera would not be able to somehow replicate the innovation. I see no point in jumping from browser to browser as they play leap-frog with each other.

6. Sully

Sully Registered Member

Yes, I felt that way for a long time with Opera. I never really liked FF much. I used Kmeleon to open pages that Opera would not display correctly, and on some older machines I had around. When Opera had an issue with one of it's verions that broke flash videos, maybe like around 8.64 or so, rather than going back a version I was opening KM on certain sites. At some point I became addicted to KM, probably around the time Opera 9 came out. I did not really care for some of the changes in 9, and have been using KM exclusively since. Many parts of Opera I thought I could not live without. Luckily KM can do everything I needed Opera to do.

All in all, maybe it is the tweaking of KM and making my own macros etc for it that keeps me with it.

Sul.

7. raakii

raakii Registered Member

Fastest is chrome but it doees not have features , waiting to switch to it when it gets good addons.K-meleon is next, it is good but only few of us have ever heard of the browser.
    Next is opera , easier to customize than k-meleon for me .
    Slowest is firefox without doubt and ofcourse none of the browsers above have more feature then this.IE is the biggest virus for me though i know some sites work only on IE.Hence no clear winner in the browser wars .

Last edited: Mar 16, 2009
  8. progress

progress Guest

9. MerleOne

MerleOne Registered Member

K-Meleon 1.5.3 !!!

10. the Tester

the Tester Registered Member

Opera 10 Alpha.

11. Eice

Eice Registered Member

For those who're sick of Firefox's unbearably slow speeds, one thing that can be done is to try the latest Minefield nightly builds, and install the Nightly Tester Tools extension to make all your extensions work. On my end Minefield is zipping along decently – they managed to shave the startup time to ~5 seconds, and memory usage typically peaks out around 150-200MB.

Or you could just give Google Chrome a spin. :D

12. prius04

prius04 Registered Member

Man, they're not kidding when they state, "Other than the browser itself, the most significant factor affecting the Peacekeeper score is the type of CPU in your PC." My results were pretty much in line in terms of ranking but, with an older P4, nowhere near the actual numbers posted:

Safari 4.0: 1526
    Chromium 3.0.182: 1331
    Opera 10: 906
    Shiretoko/3.5pre: 779
    IE8: 343

Regardless, *if* these numbers are supposed to indicate that, say, Safari is roughly twice as "fast" as 3.5pre, IE8 is roughly twice as slow as 3.5pre, and so forth, then, well, I'm just not seeing that in terms of real world performance.

13. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

As a long time FF user, and having recently installed Opera to give that a whirl, I installed Safari for Windows XP last night to see how fast it really is, after reading a few posts saying how fast it is. It's freakin' fast. There's no reason to install Chrome for the speed, because Safari is just as fast. Of course I haven't read the directions yet so I can't comment on how good it is compared to FF and Opera. I did a few things without reading the directions, and I like it so far. I don't think you can change the skin, so that's a bummer. I'll check in later when I have read all the directions. :D

14. Eice

Eice Registered Member

Are you sure you've tried Chrome?

Chrome uses a multi-process architecture, has an inbuilt policy sandbox, customizable searches, can load user javascript files, respects Windows keyboard/mouse shortcuts instead of insisting on Unix ones, doesn't try to foist Bonjour, iTunes and Quicktime on you, knows to load target="_blank" links in a new tab instead of a new window (seriously, every other browser got this right years ago), and doesn't take up 50% CPU and 400MB RAM.

Safari has some nice touches to it, but as far as Windows is concerned, Chrome is the superior implementation of the WebKit engine.

15. Reimer

Reimer Registered Member

I agree with this statement. In terms of rendering speed, I don't find there to be much of a difference. Whereas with startup time and resouce usage, Firefox has a long way to go.

I'm sticking with Firefox 3.5 beta 4 though. Opera would be my second choice. Chrome doesn't appeal to me. It's still a young browser but at this point in time.. it's too bland and featureless for me.

16. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

Eice, I agree with Reimer. I tried Chrome for a while and arrived at the same conclusion. I stand by my speed statement too. I'll see how Chrome looks in a year or so, and maybe give it a run again. :)

17. Eice

Eice Registered Member

Well, you're free to do that, but I'm just not sure how exactly is your claim justified by the facts.

18. Eice

Eice Registered Member

Regarding the complaints about Chrome's "featurelessness" – while Chrome is admittedly not as feature-rich as Opera or Firefox's extensions, there's a surprising amount of tricks tucked away from plain sight. Posting what features you're missing would make it easier for people to help you, assuming you're actually interested in assistance, that is.

19. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

Hi again. I'm not disputing what you said about Chrome's features, I just don't like it. With regard to features that are tucked away from plain site, why don't they put them out where you can find them in the Help menu or somewhere obvious so we could just look them up. A good example would be Opera, that has an extensive feature list that you can just go down and learn one by one. If Chrome has features hidden away like an egg hunt, the next thing is books in Barnes and Noble entitled "Chrome Secrets". :D

20. raakii

raakii Registered Member

Hello eice can u tell me how to edit fast dial in chrome to setup fixed addresses as in opera.(so that it doesnt change at all)?

21. Reimer

Reimer Registered Member

My personal thoughts; focused mostly on the negatives and mostly how I compare to Firefox or Opera

I do not like the UI (no dropdown URL bar, and just plain cartoonish theme)

Multi-process is a nice innovation but my browsers quite frankly, rarely ever crash, and even if they do, the tabs restore themselves. Not to mention, I've had Chrome/Iron crash and take every process with it so it's not foolproof. So it's a nice feature but definitely not a deciding factor in switching.

Rendering issues on some vbulletin boards and other sites (although I don't really expect every browser to render everything)

Fast tooltip popups... also extremely annoying. Thread preview like here on Wilders popup everywhere.

Slow scroll speed. I can roll my finger down my mouse wheel in Opera just twice to get down to the bottom of the page here at Wilders. It takes five to do it in Chrome. Hopefully there is a way to edit this without resorting to mouse software.

Startup time is great. A bit faster than Opera and obviously much faster than Firefox in this respect.

Features. I use about 35 extensions in Firefox and put a lot to good use in Opera. I'm sure Chrome will get it's share soon enough. It's just not there yet. Mouse gestures, tab management, etc without the need for third party programs would be great.

22. Eice

Eice Registered Member

Can't be done AFAIK, but why not use the bookmark bar for that, since it always shows up on the new tab page?

Not trivial if you've got a nice long email or post half-typed in another tab, or watching a long Flash video.

Multi-processes aren't just for crash-prevention. They help scale CPU load, prevent one tab executing complex instructions from slowing down the whole browser, make full use of multi-core processors, and take advantage of Windows' inbuilt IPC restrictions (Chrome enhances this with its own sandbox model) to improve security. Memory management is improved as well, as memory usage will scale with tabs and be given back to the OS as necessary. It's more of a under-the-hood thing instead of in-your-face bling, but there's a reason Google and Microsoft took the trouble to create such a model for their browsers.

Ever tried the "End" key on your keyboard?

23. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

After installing Vista SP2, Chrome is even faster. I suppose that would apply to other browsers as well. On my system (Vista Ultimate32 SP2) Chrome is faster than anything else I've tried so far, and has become my main browser. I still keep Firefox for some situations, but I suppose it is a matter of personal taste, and how one feels using a specific browser. It's great to have so many to choose from.

24. Pain of Salvation

Pain of Salvation Registered Member

I use Chrome not because of its speed, but because of its gui. Chrome is a simple and elegant browser. I used to use Opera before, but that default skin is just ugly. And there is no better skins on http://my.opera.com/community/customize/skins/

25. Minimax2000

Minimax2000 Registered Member

I have the subjective feeling that after applying Vista SP2 Opera's rendering speed has become faster too. For me the classic skin is still the best.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.