Fasterfox Pre-Fetching

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by C.S.J, Oct 27, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

hi to all who use,

simple question:

enable or disable?

give your reasons. :)

2. lucas1985

lucas1985 Retired Moderator

3. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

thanks but it didnt answer my question.

4. steve161

steve161 Registered Member

Disable, because:

1) I don't like the idea of my browser prefetching every link on a given web page, even though I am not sure that there is any security risk.
    2) My understanding is that it can increase the load on a web server, and there are web servers who have denied access to those using Fasterfox for this reason, and
    3) For the brief time I enabled prefetching (before I was aware or 1 & 2), I really did not notice much of a difference.

5. NGRhodes

NGRhodes Registered Member

If I go on a forum with 20 links and it prefeteches them all, but I only visit 10, then thats 10 items in my cache I dont need and could well of removed items that I will visit again.

Also there is the server load... in the case above I've doubled the traffic to the server for no good reason and it will cost someone ££ (as well as negative enviromental impact is the wasted electricty used).

Also, what if I prefetch all 20 pages but 10 get updated before i get to visit the pages, thats a further 10 pages reloads - really evil for a dynamic website, eg a forum like Wilders.

From the cache point of view, how fast do we pre cache pages, do we have a read ahead limit per site, or is it global, do we have any rules for removing old cache items, will the optimum setting for read-ahead conflict with the setting for historic, what would be the best compromise between these settings ?

As you can see, its quite a can of worms and it seems like a nasty hack to me.

6. chrisretusn

chrisretusn Registered Member

Disabled.

I don't like putting a load on other folks servers.

I don't really see a need for it.

It's all hype IMHO.

I when I have Fasterfox Enabled in Fx I use it with the Default or Courteous presets. No real difference as far as I can tell. One feature I like is the Page Load Timer, which, comes in handy when testing page load times on my firewall

7. sukarof

sukarof Registered Member

I can only speak for me, but I cant say that Fastefox did anything for me when i had it installed. Maybe it is only good for people with ADSL or modems? I have fiber.
    Of course it is good to prefetch all the links you intend to read - as long as you wait until they have been downloaded. Load a page, wait for awhile until all the links are downloaded and then click on the link of course they will load faster, but if you load a page and one or two seconds later you click on a link wont do anything.
    Usually I only click one or two links on a page anyway, and a page can have many many links.

But doing the simple tweaks in the thread suggested by lucas1985 here really did a big difference for me and the speed when loading pages.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.